Hey, i've been working on a portable with a similar idea using the shape of the Wavebird, except I'm not as skilled in modeling so I am frankencasing a Wavebird shell with a printed center piece. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how to wire the two shell halves together, so that if I ever need to open my portable back up it isn't complete hell. When this thing is finished could you be sure to snap some pics of the completed internals before you close it up? I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Well after failing to get two LMAO trims booting I lost a fair bit of steam and honestly felt a little cursed, couple that with far less time for portable projects due to having a baby and I was close to shelving it for a while.
So what's changed?
After realizing I had far more vertical space in the case than I initially thought I figured "Why not raise the Wii board so a Basic trim fits ABOVE the batteries?" (I'm a fucking genius!)
So I did just that, the intake looks a little silly but it should work as intended and an added bonus is that now the case should be more accessible to people looking to build one.
She's a big fucking print though so I'll update when the print is finished some time this decade.
Also the thread name has been updated. I've settled on the name "Ashida", named after Kenichiro Ashida - the man behind the legendary GC controller design (amongst other things).
Print came out great, albeit with a slight layer shift. not to worry though as this was just another test print leading to the final revision.
I've determined I've got a fair bit more room to play with now that the Wii has been raised, so I am working on a full re-shuffle of the internal layout, improving things like board placements and adding locations for proper battery mounts.
I've designed what I believe to be the most practical mount for the Direct Drive as the ribbon slot is on the opposite side to the solder points. The CK wire also needs to be kept relatively short to avoid screen glitches, so I measured it out and should be able to keep it under 10cm when connecting it from the front piece to the rear.