Status
Not open for further replies.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Let's get this party started
20160418_235941.jpg
UPDATE MAY 25th: PiiWii Pocket
I have decided to postpone the Birdii project. I won't be able to get a hold of the components I need before the contest ends, so instead I am going to be submitting the PiiWii pocket.

Mission statement:
Create a portable that is small as possible without compromising quality of the portable.
Factors of importance:
-Craftmanship and perfectionism
-Pocket sized
-Comfort and gamecube-like feel
-Excellent battery life
-Proper and durable construction

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I want my cuts to be made with laser precision. Thats why I spent a few hours with the laser cutter today. But talk is cheap. Heres what I got.
5 - eRWTUuS.jpg

I thought about 3D printing, frankencasing, CNCing, or just a good ol' fashioned rotary tool. I went with the laser. Lasers can cut squarer corners and shorter gaps that a CNC router, substantially more precise cuts than a dremel, and a smoother and more accurate edge than a consumer 3D printer. A cut can take as little as 40 seconds, so several tweaks can be made in succession in no time at all. Be warned: lasering ABS emits cyanide gas, and is not a good idea unless your laser has an advanced ventilation system. I received specific permission to do so from the department at my university.

The case is a Polycase SL 57. I have always disliked boxy polycase portables, but the SL57 stole my heart. Its rectangular, but small enough to not feel boxy. The edges are rounded. It feels so nice in the hands, and so nice in the pocket. I saw @Gman use it as a controller/av adapter for a N64 in a video, and I immediately paused the video and tracked him down to give me some info on it. He made a gamecube out of it similar to mine, which has served as inspiration.
2 - PVPSduA.jpg

So tiny. So comfy. So rugged.
4 - KVkkHhq.jpg

I designed the cut and ran the machine myself, so I should still be within the rules. It took several rough drafts on acrylic before I finalized my design and threw 3 SL57's on the bed. Every draft I made several changes, such as moving holes, adding holes, and rescaling cuts by as little as 1%. The results were worth it. The sensor bar and power indicator LEDs are friction fit, while the first party gamecube buttons and tacts are a perfect fit, and can slide without wiggling.
7 - sFICwPr.jpg
6 - 6qT1KMD.jpg

Anyone who says they got it right the first time is either lying, or has low standards.

More to come.

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Anyone who says they got it right the first time is either lying, or has low standards.
An alternative, effective strategy would be to measure twice, cut once.

What kind of screen are you using? Got any shots with the LCD in the case?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
An alternative, effective strategy would be to measure twice, cut once.
Measure Twice. Cut once. Tweak design. Repeat.
What kind of screen are you using? Got any shots with the LCD in the case?
Unfortunately, in a form factor this small, I have to go with this 3.5" screen. I could dish out another $100+ for a nicer screen, $15 for a converter, and remove batteries to accommodate the larger drive board and a converter, but on a screen this small, it isn't worth it unless I can find a better alternative

EDIT:
Screen mounting method isn't done. I can hold it in by hand and try to hold my phone steady, but for now thats the best I can do. Everything fits, with enough clearance to not obstruct the nearby components :D
JFb6bXx.jpg
Q6BpTq6.jpg

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Well the point of measuring is to work out the design before executing it.

Either way, looks good. Can't wait to see if you can pull this off!

Ampz

Not trying to be nosy but what were the measurements for the D-pad, C-stick, Analog stick and buttons? I have a laser cutter at my school
so it would definitely help :D

Shank

Staff member
Portables
A PM was sent to Ampz.

The stock orange peel texture of polycases provides excellent grip/surface area, and is excellent at hiding minor scratches. However, Im not too fond of how it looks or feels, so Im looking into smoothing it out. I have a few pieces of plastic from the cuts to test on. Sanding through increasing grit looks nice. I tried wiping it down with acetone and it looked like someone poured battery acid on it. Maybe I should consider a vapor bath. Any suggestions?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Back in the day, Polycase use to offer blue and white cases too which was pretty sweet. They still do for some models, but not the sl57 sadly.

Shank

Staff member
Portables

JacksonS

Portables
NO. That sucks, mine gave up on me too at one point. But that doesn't devalue your work at all, it's still going to turn out great.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Considering the amount of effort you put in to creating the best designed laser cut case, I have no doubt that when you do finish this, it will be amazing. Great effort.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Even though the deadline has passed, this project is not dead. I will be completing it once my new screen comes in the mail.

Here are some pictures:
20160730_123543.jpg

20160730_123745.jpg

Luke

Portables
Looks great, Shank. I really like those 3ds slider covers or whatever those are, how they match the look of a gc controller. I was going to do something similar, but now if I do it's going to look like I copied you... and I'm okay with that.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It isn't too unique of an idea, and im sure I'm not the first to have it. Feel free to use any ideas from my project in your own. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Status
Not open for further replies.