Worklog Kill Mii (Altoids Tin Portable)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Kill Mii
Complete Wii portable in an Altoids tin. Because reasons. This portable is not logical, comfortable, or practical. But it must be done... for the memes.

IEjjeQX.jpg

I want to put a Wii in an Altoids tin. I don't think its ever going to be possible to go smaller than this. Ive spent quite a bit of time on the layout and I have figured out how to make it work.
Planned features:
-Body made from an Altoids tin. It will not be painted, and will look like an Altoids tin.
-2" 320x240 composite screen from AdaFruit (Dont buy it from adafruit. They kept sending defective screens and it took weeks and a ton emails/tweets to actually get a response from their customer service. See later in the thread for details)
-Some stupid custom board trim with full NAND relocation
-Tiny LiPo cells with high C ratings from batteryspace for like 15 mins of battery life.
-3 Ti Regs (1.15v, 1v, 3.3v), tiny linear reg for 1.8v
-Mono audio from an older version of RDC's smAllMP
-35mm blower fan if I can fit it, passive cooling using the tin if I can't
-3DS sliders, GC+, all buttons are tact switches
-Misery and self loathing

Face Time

The first thing that will need to be accomplished is the face. I spent a few hours trying several different layouts, but I think this is going to be the final one. Although not too comfortable, most space effective way for the extra buttons was to have L, Start, Volume Up, Volume Down, Z, and R in a row at the top.

The whole face is packed tightly, so there is literally no room for error. I have measured all of the components with calipers and fit them into a vector of their exact placements. The components' outlines will be removed, and left with only the vectors of the holes. This will then be cut on a vinyl cutter to make a decal template. The decal will then be stuck to the tin to have a way to perfectly line up the holes. All the holes other than the screen are round, and can then be drilled using a drill press. The tin itself is malleable, so a 3d printed or wooden block will be inserted below to prevent the tin from bending while being drilled. The square hole will be done with either nibblers or a file.

Here is the mockup:
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.54.49 PM.png

And the Vector
Sketch V1.PNG

More to come!

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I will be following this closely XD I would vote for it in the contest if you submit it

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I didn't know that I wanted to see this done so badly. You have my complete, undivided attention.

Good news is that if you botch the case, it'll be easy to replace and you'll have amazing breath while modding!

Very nice. I'm curious though, what will you be lining the inside of the Altoids tin with to prevent shorts?

I love the idea. If it's possible it has to happen :)

Wulf

Look at all that wasted space.

You haven't even decapped the ICs.

Now this is something to keep my eyes on, lets keep this portable in the hands of the gods

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I would vote for it in the contest if you submit it
I'm sure every other portable entered is going to be better than this sad abomination.
Good news is that if you botch the case, it'll be easy to replace and you'll have amazing breath while modding!
I bought a 12 pack for $15 at the store today. They are packaged in a package in a package, and my whole workshop still smells like mint. I'm kind of afraid to open it.
what will you be lining the inside of the Altoids tin with to prevent shorts?
Probably kapton tape. I have some coming in the mail, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.
If it's possible it has to happen :)
It's very possible, but the biggest limiting factor is my soldering skill level. The biggest hurdle for me is going to be the nand relocation. If I can pull that off, I should be fine.

Oh... I know it possible heh. I meant as a general rule of thumb if it CAN be done then it WILL be done.

I wasn't questioning if it was possible. Sorry for the confusion.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Kill Mii
Complete Wii portable in an Altoids tin. Because reasons. This portable is not logical, comfortable, or practical. But it must be done... for the memes.

View attachment 2269

I want to put a Wii in an Altoids tin. I don't think its ever going to be possible to go smaller than this. Ive spent quite a bit of time on the layout and I have figured out how to make it work.
Planned features:
-Body made from an Altoids tin. It will not be painted, and will look like an Altoids tin.
-2" 320x240 composite screen from AdaFruit
-Some stupid custom board trim with full NAND relocation
-Tiny LiPo cells with high C ratings from batteryspace for like 15 mins of battery life.
-3 Ti Regs (1.15v, 1v, 3.3v), tiny linear reg for 1.8v
-Mono audio from an older version of RDC's smAllMP
-35mm blower fan if I can fit it, passive cooling using the tin if I can't
-3DS sliders, GC+, all buttons are tact switches
-Misery and self loathing

Face Time

The first thing that will need to be accomplished is the face. I spent a few hours trying several different layouts, but I think this is going to be the final one. Although not too comfortable, most space effective way for the extra buttons was to have L, Start, Volume Up, Volume Down, Z, and R in a row at the top.

The whole face is packed tightly, so there is literally no room for error. I have measured all of the components with calipers and fit them into a vector of their exact placements. The components' outlines will be removed, and left with only the vectors of the holes. This will then be cut on a vinyl cutter to make a decal template. The decal will then be stuck to the tin to have a way to perfectly line up the holes. All the holes other than the screen are round, and can then be drilled using a drill press. The tin itself is malleable, so a 3d printed or wooden block will be inserted below to prevent the tin from bending while being drilled. The square hole will be done with either nibblers or a file.

Here is the mockup:
View attachment 2267
And the Vector
View attachment 2268
More to come!
But can it run Crysis?

Fiskers1208

BANNED
This is going to be interesting. I'm obviously going to be paying attention to this thread.

Edit: Keep up the good work:D

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Fun idea!

If you wanted to save more space on the face of the console you could use compact 4/5 way tact switches (for d-pad, screen/volume controls and even a-b-x-y).

Kapton tape is the shit. You will love it once you start using it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Fun idea!

If you wanted to save more space on the face of the console you could use compact 4/5 way tact switches (for d-pad, screen/volume controls and even a-b-x-y).

Kapton tape is the shit. You will love it once you start using it.
4 way tacts are great, but some don't support diagonal movement.

Would be nice if you could put the screen on top and all the wii stuff on the bottom in the best DS style.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Would be nice if you could put the screen on top and all the wii stuff on the bottom in the best DS style.
You aren't the first person to suggest that. The problem it it takes up space, and as you can probably tell, I don't have much space to begin with.