Worklog Wii portable "Ashida Wavebird" worklog

Hey, i've been working on a portable with a similar idea using the shape of the Wavebird, except I'm not as skilled in modeling so I am frankencasing a Wavebird shell with a printed center piece. I've still got a lot of work to do but I'm having a hard time conceptualizing how to wire the two shell halves together, so that if I ever need to open my portable back up it isn't complete hell. When this thing is finished could you be sure to snap some pics of the completed internals before you close it up? I'd really appreciate it. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
how many shells did you use in your print? And what angle did you have your front shell to make it strong?
Just the default prusa slic3r amount which I believe is 2? it feels very rigid with PLA.

Also, project isn't dead - it's just sleeping. I'll get back onto it soon

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Project is back and going full-steam ahead.

So what was the hold up?

Well after failing to get two LMAO trims booting I lost a fair bit of steam and honestly felt a little cursed, couple that with far less time for portable projects due to having a baby and I was close to shelving it for a while.

So what's changed?

After realizing I had far more vertical space in the case than I initially thought I figured "Why not raise the Wii board so a Basic trim fits ABOVE the batteries?" (I'm a fucking genius!)

So I did just that, the intake looks a little silly but it should work as intended and an added bonus is that now the case should be more accessible to people looking to build one.

2021-04-05 20_45_33-Window.png
2021-04-05 20_46_41-Window.png

She's a big fucking print though so I'll update when the print is finished some time this decade.

2021-04-05 20_48_30-Window.png

Also the thread name has been updated. I've settled on the name "Ashida", named after Kenichiro Ashida - the man behind the legendary GC controller design (amongst other things).

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Quick update:

Print came out great, albeit with a slight layer shift. not to worry though as this was just another test print leading to the final revision.
IMG_20210408_193501.jpg
IMG_20210408_193511.jpg

I've determined I've got a fair bit more room to play with now that the Wii has been raised, so I am working on a full re-shuffle of the internal layout, improving things like board placements and adding locations for proper battery mounts.

Pics soon...

Luca

Did you just select 'glass' as a material? That skeleton shot looks really nice.

What's the little snake bois' jobs?
snak.png

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
My final print for the rear of the case is done, I settled on your more traditional battery mounts for reliability's sake.

There are also some very minor improvements still to be made to the model but this one's close enough to perfect that I won't be printing it again.

IMG_20210411_154020.jpg

Hows this for tolerances...
It's good to know my 3D reference models are exactly to scale.
IMG_20210411_075922.jpg
IMG_20210411_075950.jpg

I've got a fair bit of wiring to get to and then there's the added challenge of figuring out how I'm going to mount the Direct Drive in an effective way.

IMG_20210411_185235.jpg
IMG_20210411_185228.jpg

And I'm going to be reprinting the front piece as there have been improvements made and I blasted out the screw mounts accidentally by using the wrong screws.

IMG_20210411_125745.jpg

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I've designed what I believe to be the most practical mount for the Direct Drive as the ribbon slot is on the opposite side to the solder points. The CK wire also needs to be kept relatively short to avoid screen glitches, so I measured it out and should be able to keep it under 10cm when connecting it from the front piece to the rear.

2021-04-13 (1).jpg
2021-04-13.jpg

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Aurelio claims that the CK wire in his Gboy is "quite long" and he hasn't had any issues yet, so we'll see if shielding is required.
Twisting it with GND is already enough. It mostly depends on how you route it

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I found the little coaxial wire from the Wii's wifi antenna great for this

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Screen, GC+ and RVL-DD mount has been finalized and I've begun controller wiring.

For the controller I've gone a mix of 3rd party and official - 3rd party PCB's as they have easy to access test pads and official buttons, membranes and joysticks for a legit feel.

IMG_20210415_174526.jpg

Last edited: