RVLoader v1.6

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
logo.png

Please, before asking any question, check the F.A.Q.: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/rvloader-f-a-q.3721/
If you have any feature request, please post them here or I could forget about them: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader/discussions/categories/ideas
Make sure you follow all the steps, even if you already had BBLoader installed.

RVLoader was developed to replace BBLoader. Despite being almost completely rewritten, the stock theme was kept quite similar. The main improvements introduced are:
  • Open source code!
  • Wii channels support
  • ELF homebrews support
  • Complete Wiimote support
  • Titles are now ordered alphabetically
  • Fixed GC2Wiimote disconnection when the system is left idle for a while
  • Per-game GC+2.0 remappable buttons
  • Integrated system clock IF the MX chip is found. This can be an easy way to detect if the MX is properly wired to the Wii
  • Wider LUA integration for greater customization
  • Settings menu
  • Theme selection in the settings menu
  • Integrated GC+2.0 and PMS2 settings
  • PMS2 support (for more info on what this means, check the features listed here: https://4layertech.com/products/rvl-pms-2 )
  • RVL-DD in-game brightness setting (hold Z+X+Dpad Up/Down)
These improvements add up to the already known features of BBLoader:
  • New front-end completely developed from scratch and with Wii portables in mind
  • Built-in installer that automatically detects if RVL is not installed and prompts the user to install it
  • Integrated VGA patches. The installer also forces 480p if VGA selected so that you don't need to enable it from the System Menu settings
  • neek2o has been replaced by Hiidra for booting Wii games
  • Improved USB compatibility for Wii games
  • BT module is not required anymore to boot Wii games
  • GC2Wiimote is integrated in Hiidra and per-game configs can be modified directly in RVLoader by pressing B on a selected game. Also BTWiimoteInject is not required anymore
  • Bootloader system making upgrades as easy as drag & dropping new files on your USB drive
  • Full custom theme integration
VC/WiiWare titles are supported, but still experimental. Copy VC .wad files in the /vc folder on the root of your drive. WiiWare and Wii channels go in the /channels folder on the root of your drive.

If you already have BBLoader installed, follow these steps before proceeding with the copy of the files and installation:
  1. Delete the folder BBMain located in /bbloader/themes . This is not strictly needed, but it will ensure that the old, incompatible BBLoader theme won't appear in the themes list in the settings.
  2. Rename the folder /bbloader into /rvloader . This will ensure that any previously saved configuration and USB Wii saves are transferred over to RVLoader
In order to install RVLoader you need to have your Wii already hacked (i.e. the homebrew channel is installed) and updated. Then simply follow these steps:
  1. Unzip the archive in the root of your USB drive, making sure to merge the folders and not replacing them (to keep all the other homebrews that you might already have)
  2. Plug your USB drive in your Wii and turn it on
  3. Boot RVLoader from the homebrew channel, postloader or whatever you have
  4. RVLoader will detect if it is not installed currently and ask you to do it
  5. Press A to launch the installer
  6. After the initialization is complete the installer will perform a sanity check. If it complains about missing some IOS modules check the note at the end.
  7. You will be prompted to select if you want to patch out the WiFi module and if you want VGA. If you don't have the WiFi module on your board or you plan on removing it, PLEASE, make sure to have the "Patch out WiFi" option set to yes.
  8. Once you have selected the wanted options, press Start/Home once.
  9. The installer will show you the selected options and ask for confirmation. To proceed hold Start/Home for a couple of seconds until the process starts.
  10. Wait until the end of the process, it should take about a minute and then exit to RVLoader.
From now on RVLoader will boot automatically when turning your Wii on.

The UI is pretty simple, though still in development. Basic controls are:
  • DPad/Left stick to move through the different games
  • A to boot a game
  • B (or 1 on a Wiimote) to open the per-game configuration menu
  • C-Stick to switch between the different game menus (GC, Wii, homebrews, ...). Simply move the C-Stick and a selector wheel will show up. Holding the C-Stick in a position for a couple of seconds will confirm the selection. In case you are using a Wiimote, hold the B button and move the DPad to simulate the C-Stick movements. You can also use the right stick on a Classic Controller or the Nunchuk stick while holding the C button.

NOTE if step 6 fails: RVL installer grabs the required IOS modules from your Wii's NAND. If your Wii is not updated, it might be possible that the installer won't be able to find some of the required modules. In this case the installer will try to get those modules from the following IOS wads that must be placed on the root of your USB drive:
  • IOS36-64-v3608.wad
  • IOS58-64-v6176.wad
  • IOS80-64-v6944.wad
We won't provide these files, but you can obtain them easily.

Updates will come in the following days/weeks. If you have suggestions or any other feedback please let me know either here or on Discord.

PS: RVLoader and Hiidra wouldn't have been possible without the help of the following people:
  • marcan42, for answering any of the questions I had on Wii's architecture and IOSes
  • CrashBash for designing the amazing masterpiece that is the boot logo of Hiidra
  • Any developer who has released stuff for the Wii or contributed to its reverse engineering
  • All my Patreon supporters
This project is completely funded by the amazing donations and support I get on my Patreon page. If you'd like to contribute to the cause, you can check my page here: https://www.patreon.com/aureliomannara (I know, shameless plug).

Download link: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader/releases
Source code: https://github.com/Aurelio92/RVLoader (can't wait to see your contributions!)

PS: Hiidra's source code will come in few more days/possibly weeks. I need to clean it up

Last edited:

DMGMan

Hah, I was looking on software to help with a future project of mine and searched for "portablizemii". Then found out it was depreciated. So then I found out about BBloader, and was about to learn about it and then saw that this is out now.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I just thought it was a weird coincidence. Super pumped to try this out though!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hah, I was looking on software to help with a future project of mine and searched for "portablizemii". Then found out it was depreciated. So then I found out about BBloader, and was about to learn about it and then saw that this is out now.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I just thought it was a weird coincidence. Super pumped to try this out though!
Destiny, man!

@Aurelio

The amount of time you invest into this hobby and your skillset is very much appreciated! Many portables would not be possible without you, so thank you.
Thank you for the nice words!

@Aurelio Thank you very much bro this is perfect, a question I had the bbloader installed, and when I'm going to use the rvloader, ask to press A to install or B to continue I press B and use without installing is there a problem?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Aurelio Thank you very much bro this is perfect, a question I had the bbloader installed, and when I'm going to use the rvloader, ask to press A to install or B to continue I press B and use without installing is there a problem?
No, you can use it without installing it

No, you can use it without installing it

Taking advantage bro, say someone who has never installed bbloader on nintendo wii, would she need to do the installation, or would the rvloader run without any installation? I have several friends wanting to use it but when in doubt if they need to install it to use it.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Taking advantage bro, say someone who has never installed bbloader on nintendo wii, would she need to do the installation, or would the rvloader run without any installation? I have several friends wanting to use it but when in doubt if they need to install it to use it.
It may still work, as long as the right IOS58 version is installed

It may still work, as long as the right IOS58 version is installed
Thank you very much my dear for this wonderful work, I am doing the test bridge on a normal Wii and informing the staff as much as possible, it is undoubtedly a dream coming true, both for those who use the Wii as well as the table Wii.

* I believe that only an IGR is missing to be able to exit the game and return to the rvloader, without having to turn off and turn on the nintendo wii

I do not use the translator much so let's see if it is understood hahaha my question is the following I am about to prepare my wii bone I do not see anything just install the program and configure as I designed the description but when I turn it on it throws me black screen does nothing and Before starting to modify I wanted to see if I made any wrong step

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Just installed this over BBLoader on one of my Wiis. Installation was painless and I appreciate the added features. I love that games are now alphabetized. It's the little things.

Having a few issues with this one. Bought the wii "as is" so may not be helping. After trying to install I either get a black screen or stuck at a loading screen and homebrew channel is now upside down. I am using a sandisk usb(didn't read the faqs before hand) so not sure if that's hurting me

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Just installed this over BBLoader on one of my Wiis. Installation was painless and I appreciate the added features. I love that games are now alphabetized. It's the little things.
Glad you're liking the improvements!

I do not use the translator much so let's see if it is understood hahaha my question is the following I am about to prepare my wii bone I do not see anything just install the program and configure as I designed the description but when I turn it on it throws me black screen does nothing and Before starting to modify I wanted to see if I made any wrong step
Have you enabled VGA and trying to test it with component/Wii2HDMI? If so check the FAQ for a way to test it https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/rvloader-f-a-q.3721/

Having a few issues with this one. Bought the wii "as is" so may not be helping. After trying to install I either get a black screen or stuck at a loading screen and homebrew channel is now upside down. I am using a sandisk usb(didn't read the faqs before hand) so not sure if that's hurting me
Your issues, including the DSI screen are caused by USB incompatibility. As of now your only option is to use another USB drive (just transfer the files over)

@Aurelio My dear, I tested here to let the game pause for 15 minutes, but it still froze the wii, needing to turn off the power and reconnect it, in the test I used two different pendrivers to be able to have a better result with the rvloader 1.0

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Aurelio My dear, I tested here to let the game pause for 15 minutes, but it still froze the wii, needing to turn off the power and reconnect it, in the test I used two different pendrivers to be able to have a better result with the rvloader 1.0
What game?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ivy the Kiwi, New Mario Bross, Newer Super Mario Bross
I may have uploaded the wrong file lol :facepalm:
Unzip this file and put it in /rvloader/Hiidra/modules. I will include it in next release along with other fixes

Attachments