Wii Motherboard Anatomy 101

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Introduction
This guide is intended to introduce newer users to the Wii Motherboard. Most significant components are highlighted and labeled in these pictures, while brief descriptions are written below. This guide is written with the assumption that PortablizeMii is used, which uses special software to allow the console to operate without normally required components.

Front
Anatomy Front V2-1.png

Revision Code:
This lets you know which revision your board is. Different revisions use different guides, and have different levels of power consumption. See the Revision Guide for more information.

GPU: Mandatory
This graphics processor generates several watts of heat, and should have a fan+heatsink attached to it with thermal pads or paste whenever running. Every component on the Wii eventually connects to the GPU.

CPU: Mandatory
Like the GPU, this chip should always have a cooling mechanism attached while running.

RAM: Mandatory
The RAM is required for the console to boot.

U10: Mandatory
The U10 must be wired for the console to boot. Instructions for moving the U10 can be found in the Definitive Trimming Guide. U9 and U10 are the same chip, so if U10 is damaged, U9 can be used in its place. Although there are many chips, such as U5, that look the same as U9 and U10, they are NOT the same chip and cannot be used in it's place.

LDO: Replaceable
This simple Low Drop Out Linear Regulator operates independently of the other stock regulators. It takes in 3.3v and outputs 1.8v to power the RAM and AVE. It can not be removed unless a new regulated source of 1.8v is provided in its place.

Wi-Fi Module: Optional
As the name suggests, the Wi-Fi module handles Wi-Fi. It is a separate board attached to the Wii through a small connector. Rewiring the Wi-Fi module is very difficult and tedious. However, Wi-Fi does not need to be rewired if the No Wi-Fi IOS pack is installed. See PortablizeMii for more details.

Bluetooth Module: Optional
This module allows Wii remotes to connect to the Wii. If left disconnected, the console will still play GameCube games, Homebrew, and Emulators, but Wii games, WiiWare and Virtual Console games will no longer function.

MX Chip: Optional
This chip handles standby functionality, RTC (Real Time Clock), and a few minor functions. Without this chip, the Wii will still function, but the RTC will no longer work, rendering games like Animal Crossing essentially unplayable. The MX chip is also required for N64 and NES Virtual Console games, but not required for N64 and NES emulators.

Stock Regulators: Unused
These take 12v power from the Wii's power brick and regulated it to the voltages required for the Wii to run. All Wii trims require wiring custom regulators, which are much smaller and more efficient, so the stock regulators are not used in portables. See the Regulator Guide for more information.

Disc Drive Connectors: Unused
PortablizeMii replaces all disc drive functions with USB loading, rendering the disc drive obsolete. USB loading is faster, more convenient, and uses much less power.

Back
Anatomy Back V2-1.png

NAND: Mandatory
This is the Wii's flash memory. It stores everything from the operating system to the save data, and is required for the system to boot.

AVE: Mandatory
This chip takes the raw digital video data from the GPU and converts it to standard analog video such as composite or component. It also converts digital audio from the Wii to left and right analog audio.

Audio Pre-Amp: Optional
This accepts audio from the AVE and boosts it to make it less sensitive to interference over long AV cables. It normally runs on 12v, but can be powered by lower voltages, with a minor audio clipping as a result. This is a preamp, and is not a replacement for an audio amp in a portable. Audio can be wired directly from the AVE to your audio amp board, removing the need for this component.

Stock Regulators: Unused
These take 12v power from the Wii's power brick and regulated it to the voltages required for the Wii to run. All Wii trims require wiring custom regulators, which are much smaller and more efficient, so the stock regulators are not used in portables. See the Regulator Guide for more information.

Last edited:
Can anyone help, i have sunk hours into this, taken apart 2 wiis and a bunch (almost 10) controllers for this and am still stumped on how the custom regulators or any of that work. I just want a wii portable but none of the guides help and i have only one working motherboard left and its not even modded.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Can anyone help, i have sunk hours into this, taken apart 2 wiis and a bunch (almost 10) controllers for this and am still stumped on how the custom regulators or any of that work. I just want a wii portable but none of the guides help and i have only one working motherboard left and its not even modded.
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Audio Pre-Amp: Optional
This accepts audio from the AVE and boosts it to make it less sensitive to interference over long AV cables. It normally runs on 12v, but can be powered by lower voltages, with a minor audio clipping as a result. This is a preamp, and is not a replacement for an audio amp in a portable. Audio can be wired directly from the AVE to your audio amp board, removing the need for this component.
I'm wondering about the preamp audio clipping mentioned here: How bad is it on a 5v source, and how do most people wire the audio? Do they even use the preamp?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I'm wondering about the preamp audio clipping mentioned here: How bad is it on a 5v source, and how do most people wire the audio? Do they even use the preamp?
In my experience, the preamp doesn't work on 5v. For my Wii Micro, I just remove the preamp entirely.