Worklog (finished) Swiitch 2.0 - BocuD's second Wii Portable

BocuD

Portables
So, I got an interesting update.
My custom PCBs came in! I think I will populate them tommorow or so. They are only for buttons and lazy mounting of io tbh, so not really necessary, but I thought I just had to include them. Also, yeah I know, I ordered way more then I need. This is because all pcbs would cost 10$ each, no matter if I ordered 1 or 20 of them. Thats just economy of scale I guess.. I like it this way though, they seem cheaper. As i only paid 2$ for each board now :P.
c9d6c8ea-bdc5-4762-9830-8f99d6f2bc65.JPG

Besides that, I shrunk my shoulder button assemblies down by a LOT. They now snap into place (instead of a pin and a hole system) and fit much better. Besides that the inside of the case has basically completely been redone, and I also found an easy fix for the 3ds slider guide. Basically there's a square shaped slot on the inside of the case. A modified version of Jeff's slider mount snaps into that. It looks pretty good imo.
IMG_2041.jpg

This is the case rn in CAD:
upload_2018-7-4_2-51-52.png

upload_2018-7-4_2-53-23.png

By now I'm very close to finishing the case. It just needs about a zillion tweaks before its done, but since I'm doing it in cad rn instead of using hot glue, this case should be way better then my previous one. I'll probably trim the final wii tomorrow, and do some more trimming work on the driver then as well (to fit the battery management "red board" I need to trim part of the lcd driver' original power management crap off). The only things I don't have yet are the headphone jack, USB port and DC jack. Those should come in probably Friday or so. After tommorow stuff is probably gonna accelerate fast, as I have about two weeks left before I go on vacation. When I get back I'll only have 2 days left to finish things, so I hope I can get this done before then. At some point I was thinking about making more to try and cover the costs of this one, but I don't think I can make it solid enough for that lol :P. Maybe next time. I also thought about getting my case made by Shapeways, but considering the contest deadline I don't think thats gonna work. I probably forgot to mention some stuff, but thats all I can think of for now.

Attachments

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
I finally finished the cad for the case. It took way more time then I expected, but it is now printing as I'm typing this. The thing is: I have no idea how I should paint it. My original plan was to just go with white or black, but I think it could be a bit bland that way. Does anyone have some cool ideas? The front half can't be changed in structure, but the back isn't printed yet so still has room for an emblem or something. As for the color of the case, anything will work, really. I have white and dark grey-ish 3DS slider caps.
Aside from that all electronics are tested and working (yes even the trimmed wii heh) so I shouldn't have problems with assembling everything, as long as it all fits in the case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Probably on back
They are actually on top:
upload_2018-7-17_3-49-18.png
upload_2018-7-17_3-49-35.png

I added some supports for various components, and screw 'posts' to close the case. The back side is basically completely flat, aside from the fan hole, and some standoffs to hide the screws and improve airflow while laying flat. I attached some more pics of the final case below. There is also an Arduino nano. I could trim it, but it just fits if I just remove all io, so why bother ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. It is there for brightness control of the lcd and some other minor things (hiding eyoyo logo, switching some stuff, button mapping). Hopefully I will have some pics of the printed case tommorow.. I guess we'll find out.

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What is keeping the shoulder buttons from falling out of the portable?

BocuD

Portables
What is keeping the shoulder buttons from falling out of the portable?
The shoulder buttons snap in to place using some bracket like things:
upload_2018-7-17_14-21-22.png

Once they are where they should be they lock in place.

BocuD

Portables
IMG_2203.JPG
Its finished!
After hours of 3D modelling, sanding and wiring the Swiitch 2.0 is finally completed.
Here are some more pics of the portable:
IMG_2199.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

As you can probably see I added a logo that resembles the switch on the back. This was done by spray painting through a lasercut piece of acrylic.
The final list features:
- Fully custom 3d printed case
- OMGWTF-ish trimmed Wii
- 4200mah 2s lipo battery pack, around 3.5 hours of play time
- Brightness control using Arduino
- Stereo speakers on top
- Completely seamless charge and play
- New 3DS buttons, dpad, slider caps and old 3DS sliders
- 5" Eyoyo screen with native YPbPr support
- Switching headphone jack with separate amp, same volume wheel
- Some button mount pcbs
- Some pcbs to nicely mount the pth regs
- GC+
- Probably some more stuff I forgot about

IMG_2204.JPG

As you can probably also see it is much smaller then the switch. Besides, it is only about half as thicc as the wii (21mm). This was originally my biggest goal, (aside from making something that survives the first week) make it thin af.

So, the internals.. They are a lot better then those of my previous portable, but I think I'm gonna revise these at some point anyways. The wiring is not as efficient / nice as it could be, but everything fits and works nicely, so I'm not complaining ;)
IMG_2197.JPG

The lipo pack hides what's actually going on.. This is what's under there
IMG_2198.JPG
Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. Everything works and I somehow finished it in time (I leave for vacation in like 2 hours, and finished it 3 hours ago.. When I get back the deadline will be long overdue. If I would've had more time it would probably look better from the outside as well as I didn't sand it as far as I would've liked. Once I get back I'll probably make a short video as well, I'll see then. Anyways, I'll be gone for now. Good luck to all of the other contestants! Everything looks amazing, and I can't wait to see all of your projects finished as well.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Nice job! Looks like an official device

BocuD

Portables
I mean, it was looking pretty good and then you had a Wario amiibo in one of your pictures.

That's grounds for an immediate disqualification in my book.
I totally didn't do that on purpose lmao
Nice job! Looks like an official device
Thx! I spent a lot of time sanding everything to get rid of the '3d printed' look.
You had it but then threw it all away :inthehouse:

Everything looks dank, the only thing I'd suggest is screw wells for the back. Something to think about for the next one. Grattis on completion.
I added them initially, but I ended up using different screws so I removed them in the final design. My plan was to stick some rubber feet on top but I couldn't find them in time so I left it like this :P

BocuD

Portables
If you put this on 4chan and titled it something like “Switch Mini Prototype Leak” you’d have thousands of news articles about it within minutes.
:rothink:

Portables
I added them initially, but I ended up using different screws so I removed them in the final design. My plan was to stick some rubber feet on top but I couldn't find them in time so I left it like this :P
Looks awesome! Did you go with a countersunk screw head so that it is flush with the rear of the case? I think that would look/feel best, you could even spray them black as to hide them a bit. Great build.

BocuD

Portables
Looks awesome! Did you go with a countersunk screw head so that it is flush with the rear of the case? I think that would look/feel best, you could even spray them black as to hide them a bit. Great build.
I actually didnt have any smol countersunk but trywings left, and didnt have time to get new ones :P. Anyways, instead of spray painting over them my idea was to sick some wii feet over them.

BocuD

Portables
Well, to anyone interested, I did apparently make one video of my portable while it was alive. I just found this now which is why I'm only posting it now.
For those who don't know, there was a design flaw with this portable. It pretty much comes down to the fact that my cooling solution wasn't good enough and stuff randomly died, starting with the 1.8V LDO on the LCD driver and ending with the LCD backlight boost converter dying out, all because of heat. At this point I was like, "fuck it" and thus I am now in the process of making a new (better) version. I could technically fix this portable but it would only break again and again so I don't think there's a point really.

Question about your print, how did you make it so that it's smooth around the 3ds sliders? I'm printing a case myself and I was doing fine when the surface was nice and smooth but now when I print it because the surface of the case has protrusions anything that's not directly touching the printing plate gets kinda ruined because of the support material, any suggestions? I changed the settings for the layer height between the support and the case (and i know I WILL have to sand no matter what, but I feel like what I'm ending with is not even sandable because of how course it is and the layers don't seem as flat as they need to be.