Worklog (finished) Swiitch 2.0 - BocuD's second Wii Portable

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Question about your print, how did you make it so that it's smooth around the 3ds sliders? I'm printing a case myself and I was doing fine when the surface was nice and smooth but now when I print it because the surface of the case has protrusions anything that's not directly touching the printing plate gets kinda ruined because of the support material, any suggestions? I changed the settings for the layer height between the support and the case (and i know I WILL have to sand no matter what, but I feel like what I'm ending with is not even sandable because of how course it is and the layers don't seem as flat as they need to be.
and I also found an easy fix for the 3ds slider guide. Basically there's a square shaped slot on the inside of the case. A modified version of Jeff's slider mount snaps into that. It looks pretty good imo.
He prints the slider part flat on the plate and then slots it in to where it should be, these kinda show what he's talking about

Screenshot from 2019-04-03 11-22-10.png
Screenshot from 2019-04-03 11-22-57.png

He prints the slider part flat on the plate and then slots it in to where it should be, these kinda show what he's talking about

View attachment 8350 View attachment 8351
Ohhhhhhh that makes so much sense, okay in that case if my idea doesn't work (printing face side up with minimal support so that it doesn't get disfigured on the inside either) Then I'll be doing this next time, I appreciate the reply thank you.

BocuD

Portables
Ohhhhhhh that makes so much sense, okay in that case if my idea doesn't work (printing face side up with minimal support so that it doesn't get disfigured on the inside either) Then I'll be doing this next time, I appreciate the reply thank you.
I actually tried doing that at first as well, but it didn't end up nicely at all. I'd either go with switch sticks or with the separate parts like I used for this one as sanding the supports will be very hard. You could also go Shapeways or some form of SLA, but that's quite expensive.

I actually tried doing that at first as well, but it didn't end up nicely at all. I'd either go with switch sticks or with the separate parts like I used for this one as sanding the supports will be very hard. You could also go Shapeways or some form of SLA, but that's quite expensive.
Shoot, well the case is printing right now anyway and this spool is close to being out so I'll let it do it's thing, I'll post a picture of the finished product along with instructions on how I got it to look good (If it does) if not then I have some ideas on how to make it modular that I think could work, something inspired by what you did but slightly different since my case is not using 3ds sliders, I'm using ps2 ones and I'm making like a volcano shaped extrusion for it along with a g-wii like extrusion for the screen, I'll keep you guys updated because the shapeways and sla are too much hahahahahahaha

Update, first try failed, because I had upped the amount of separation between the part and support, I have more filament coming on friday, until then I'm starting another one just for the heck of it to see if I can tweak it to look right and print right

buzzyc

How did those batteries go, being so close to each other? No heat issues?
Cheers

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
How did those batteries go, being so close to each other? No heat issues?
Cheers
lmao, well, the batteries being so close together wasn't an issue. The batteries touching the heatsink which was already too small tho.. yeah. Don't try to put a battery this large into a portable this small.
Update, first try failed, because I had upped the amount of separation between the part and support, I have more filament coming on friday, until then I'm starting another one just for the heck of it to see if I can tweak it to look right and print right
You should probably start a worklog if you are starting work on a portable, that way people can actually read through your progress without also reading mine ;)

Last edited:
You should probably start a worklog if you are starting work on a portable, that way people can actually read through your progress without also reading mine ;)
Already have! This was more so that you would be updated on if it worked for me or not, (it kinda did?) honestly the result isn't good enough though so I ended up designing a more modular case like what you suggested and it's currently printing the smaller modules and tomorrow I'll print the big case when I get the new spool of filament!