Worklog The Nintendo Swiitch - BocuD's first Wii portable

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I’m not using that for pla. When printing with pla i just used 210. Im now printing with colorfabb XT filament which is supposed to be printed at 250 celcius.

Also, for a z button i’ll be using a tiny button EDIT: next to the r button, but its hole will be drilled in. The airflow in the final case will probably be just fine since the fan takes in air from the bottom and then blows it out the side (using an air duct) into the holes on the bottom. The port on the bottom is for the nintendo swiitch proprietary dock connector
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Oh colorfabb XT is a pain to use! (Although the quality is really good)

BocuD

Portables
Oh colorfabb XT is a pain to use! (Although the quality is really good)
It has worked basically 10x better then pla for me, so i’m happy. Btw, the quality is indeed really good so whatever. Also, im using an ultimaker 2. I dont know if its dependant on the printer or something then.

BocuD

Portables
Nice casework! What joysticks are you using there?
Black classic controller joysticks. They are really thick but they also work really nicely. They feel almost exactly like a wii u gamepad stick but they have less travel, which is nice for a portable.

That's going to look so sexy, JOYCON BOYZ

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member

Seriously wtf was up with Nintendo's decision to 2-tone it?
I went for gray as well :p
They wanted to sell the additional controllers, they had the colors swapped, so if you bought the 2tone switch, you could buy the 2tone controllers and have a pair of each color

BocuD

Portables
IMG_5704.JPG
I think i’ll paint the whole thing matte white or glossy black, but i’m not sure. I’m also thinking about painting just the controller parts “neon” red and just painting the display part matte black.
Edit: picture of current state of the controller parts

glossy white plz it'll look cool, but you don't have to its your opinion

BocuD

Portables
I just printed the rest of the case parts. This is just the case ductaped together, compared to my switch. I still have to paint it, and glue it together. I really hope my new display arrives on time because otherwise i’ll have to use some shitty composite screen. Anyways pics:
IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5707.JPG

BocuD

Portables
I have an update.. The nintendo swiitch is nearing completion! Sadly not in time for the contest however, because i still haven’t recieved my display. Once i have that however i can wire and assemble the rest of the unit. Here’s a pic of the almost completed case with some of the buttons in. This is with the old display, of course.
IMG_5723.JPG

This shows how glossy it is. I really like how the case turned out.
IMG_5719.JPG

I’ll be away from home for the next 2 weeks, so when i get home the display should have arrived and i’ll be able to finish it. Don’t have pictures of the dock, so will show that in 2 weeks as well :D

BocuD

Portables
Kinda forgot to update this thread lol, I already started working on a new portable. anyways, I "finished" the swiitch.
This is the result:
IMG_0027.jpg
This picture is a bit older, it is from before It stopped working.. At this stage I didn't add start and sync yet so those are empty. Anyways, It works well but I'm not really happy. As you can see the wiring is the worst spaghetti you have ever seen, with enough empty space to fit 8 18650s. Yes, I forgot to think about the thickness of the fan. It actually happened. I was kina done with this project so I was like fuck it and I just added about a centimeter of thickness to the entire thing which is clearly visible below:
B41C1BD2-7E02-45A3-943A-18874758870A.JPG
741E5697-6AF7-4AF7-9AAF-3B1C9F520B46.JPG
At this point I have learnt from my mistake and I am in the proces of 3D modelling an entire wii portable right now. The next one won't have the.. issues. Aside from that I'm really happy with it though since it definitely worked and it worked well. I will revive this portable at some point, but for now I'll leave it where it is. Thats why I'm not moving this to the cutting edge yet. I think I can do better then this, even in this case. I learned so unbelievably much from building this portable I can't even properly describe it. Welp, I think we'll see what the Swiitch 2.0 becomes!