Worklog Ryan's wii portable

Can you restore a shorted Wii? I didn't short mine I'm just wondering

Before trimming the Wii, Can I relocate the u10 and still have it work?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Before trimming the Wii, Can I relocate the u10 and still have it work?
Yes. It's actually better to relocate it before trimming the Wii, in order to make sure that it works

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Send a message to the seller to make sure it will actually be the right revision, but it looks like it should be fine if its a 40/60

It is CPU-60 So I should be good to go! :)

Last edited:
I know the setup on this regulator is definently wrong but what is it that bugs me? There's 2 ohm resistors on other people's portable but mine has only one please tell me if I missed anything

Attachments

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What's the value of the resistor? I used more than one because I didn't have resistors with exact values, so I wired them in series.

EDIT: I'd also clean up your wiring. It looks like you might be shorting some of the onboard parts.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Oh heck, I was reading the resistor backwards. I though white was gold.

EDIT: Actually that's still the wrong value by a lot. Definitely go watch some videos.

EDIT2: Now I am confusion. Something is wrong, but I might not have been.

Last edited:
I'm double posting because that resistor appears to be a 126 million ohm resistor. (I had to look up how to read 5 band resistors, so I might be wrong). Do you understand what resistors are and how they work? I'm guessing not, so I think you should go and watch ALL of the videos that Shank posted in console modding 101, because resistors are not all the same!

Im pretty sure that resistor is only 96.6K ohms..
Edit: I dont even know how to read resistors I went to digi key either way thats less than 1v

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I believe ginger is correct. It's a 5 band resistor, and based off the picture, it looks to be brown red blue blue gold. That is a 126 mega ohm resistor. Thats about 250x the resistance of the maximum resistor listed on the datasheet for setting voltage.

A few other notes:
Your leads are long and exposed everywhere. There is no way that's not gonna short if you put it in a portable. Only strip as much off the wire as you plan to solder to.
The capacitor will work, but 100v is overkill, making it much bigger than it needs to be. You could save a bunch of space by using a 20v or so capacitor. And again, please trim those cap leads so they aren't exposed.
Your joints look like cold solder joints. Watch some of the soldering videos in my guide to learn how to avoid this.
And I'll say it one more time: keep the exposed wire as short as possible, or things will short out.

Soldering is hard at first, we have all been there, but keep at it man! Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I believe ginger is correct. It's a 5 band resistor, and based off the picture, it looks to be brown red blue blue gold. That is a 126 mega ohm resistor. Thats about 250x the resistance of the maximum resistor listed on the datasheet for setting voltage.

A few other notes:
Your leads are long and exposed everywhere. There is no way that's not gonna short if you put it in a portable. Only strip as much off the wire as you plan to solder to.
The capacitor will work, but 100v is overkill, making it much bigger than it needs to be. You could save a bunch of space by using a 20v or so capacitor. And again, please trim those cap leads so they aren't exposed.
Your joints look like cold solder joints. Watch some of the soldering videos in my guide to learn how to avoid this.
And I'll say it one more time: keep the exposed wire as short as possible, or things will short out.

Soldering is hard at first, we have all been there, but keep at it man! Once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.
No, that’s a 96.6 kOhm resistor with a 1% tolerance and it should be good enough for a 1V output

Shank

Staff member
Portables
No, that’s a 96.6 kOhm resistor with a 1% tolerance and it should be good enough for a 1V output
Good to know. For future reference, how did I misread the value?

Hello everybody, today I just got my new Wii, so I will hopefully trim it this weekend. I jus grave one question, can anyone check to see if I drew the traces correctly?

Attachments