Portablizing BOM

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Just wanted to let you guys know, the link to the speakers is dead. If it was a link to some PSR1511... speakers like I've noticed a lot of people/me use, there's an even bigger issue because those speakers have been discontinued. Is there an alternative people have tested and liked because I'm really disappointed that I can't get them anymore...

Just wanted to let you guys know, the link to the speakers is dead. If it was a link to some PSR1511... speakers like I've noticed a lot of people/me use, there's an even bigger issue because those speakers have been discontinued. Is there an alternative people have tested and liked because I'm really disappointed that I can't get them anymore...
I’m not sure if there’s something specific or special about those speakers, but these are the ones I got, and they do really well. They sound great and can get pretty loud.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/CDM-20008/102-2502-ND/2158705

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Thanks Ginger. The speakers we used were the 20mm speakers, but I never found a part number.

As for replacement speakers, I do not know of any all around replacements right now. My recommendation would be to get looking on google, ebay, and mouser/digikey, buy ones that look good, and let us know if you find a suitable replacement so we can add it to the BOM.

@Gman and I have been using these tiny square speakers that @JacksonS recommended. You can get them off mouser and digikey, but I actually don't have the part number or link written down. They are great for their size, but not as good as the larger 20mm ones in the BOM when it comes to the low end.
I’m not sure if there’s something specific or special about those speakers, but these are the ones I got, and they do really well. They sound great and can get pretty loud.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/CDM-20008/102-2502-ND/2158705
The price of $2.28 per speaker seems mighty high for what they are. Also the power is rated for 500mw, which is probably too low for most amplifiers. Not saying they aren't good speakers, just not what I would recommend as a new standard.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not sure if worth adding to the BOM, but I found a site with a large stock of the venerable IBM 380Z heatsink+fan combos. I've bought a few from this site and it seems fine. They cool the Wii like a champ, no real surprise considering their being the goto for GC portables back in the day. They'd be good for noobs looking for a simple cooling solution. (apart from sanding/grinding down the stupid plus thing at the bottom)

EDIT: Since MasterNate asked, I'll just mention here that the fan runs on 5v (or 3.3v if you want to slow it down) and you only need the red and blue wires. Red is positive, blue is negative. Orange is for a fan speed controller and won't be needed for our purposes.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Not sure if worth adding to the BOM, but I found a site with a large stock of the venerable IBM 380Z heatsink+fan combos. I've bought a few from this site and it seems fine. They cool the Wii like a champ, no real surprise considering their being the goto for GC portables back in the day. They'd be good for noobs looking for a simple cooling solution. (apart from sanding/grinding down the stupid plus thing at the bottom)
Can you post a size comparison with the Wii?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can you post a size comparison with the Wii?
Sadly no, the two I bought before are cut down for other purposes. I'll post a picture when my current order arrives, but the measurements are 50mm x 120mm x 8mm by memory. @darkwing has one for his PS2 portable that he barely shaved, maybe he could do it before my order arrives.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Sadly no, the two I bought before are cut down for other purposes. I'll post a picture when my current order arrives, but the measurements are 50mm x 120mm x 8mm by memory. @darkwing has one for his PS2 portable that he barely shaved, maybe he could do it before my order arrives.
Thanks. 120mm is probably too big for my purpose

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks. 120mm is probably too big for my purpose
You can just chop the end off. 70mm is enough to cool a 4 layer, could probably go a bit smaller if need be.

Portables
Nice find, @Stitches . The default size is 106mm X 50mm X 10m. I've trimmed mine to 80mm X 50mm X 8mm. The annoying part is trimmed that 2mm from the bottom part which is mostlikely supposed to go on top of a CPU otherwise it's a great heatsink fan combo, pretty quiet and compact.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
You are allowed to post here if it's relevant which it is.

Plenty of screens accept VGA, the tricky part is whether or not they accept interlaced video.

As far as interlaced video goes with VGA, it's generally just trial and error with screens. Gman used a Dallian Good Display in the GS2, and I believe he has a bunch that he's trying to get rid of, so you may want to reach out to him to see if he has any he'd be willing to sell.

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You are allowed to post here if it's relevant which it is. Your question has been something we as a community have been wanting for a long time. The short answer is: No. The long answer is: No.

The 7" screen in the BOM is really the only screen we recommend that easily accepts VGA. There are some talks about making some 5in VGA screens but I wouldn't hold your breath.
Uh, are we talking about component video, or VGA? Because it sounds like you're describing component, and not VGA. Plenty of screens accept VGA, the tricky part is whether or not they accept interlaced video.

As far as interlaced video goes with VGA, it's generally just trial and error with screens. Gman used a Dallian Good Display in the GS2, and I believe he has a bunch that he's trying to get rid of, so you may want to reach out to him to see if he has any he'd be willing to sell.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
....? Yes that's exactly what I said :D

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond

BocuD

Portables