Portablizing BOM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gman, Jun 23, 2016.

1. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Not sure about which controllers are considered too mushy and which ones not, but we call them squishy tacts because 99.99% of all the tact switches out there have a hard, clacky feel. The orange tact switches feel pretty similar to the actuation of GCC buttons, but it's not an identical feel. Still, the orange tact switches feel good, are easy to implement, and are fairly cheap. The reason we identify them as the orange ones is because there are also grey ones out there, but the grey ones don't feel as good.

cheese and Minenash like this.
  2. SVista .

Portables:
    0 (For Now...)
    I noticed that all of the 4:3 screens seem to have dead links.

3. Gman RTFDS Staff Member . . . . .

The BOM is a bit outdated. We are going to rework it soon.

4. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    The good 4:3 screens are all Dalian brand/imitations. If you search for "Dalian" or "Dalian Good Display" on ebay/taobao/aliexpress you can still find some. Not in all sizes, though, some models like the 3.5" VGA Dalian screen are super rare now. I was lucky to find one listing with one left last year.

5. Koboid .

6. modler2 .

Koboid likes this.
  7. medic3k .

why is this regulator not a commonly advised option? the only variance I see is it being through-hole (just cut the posts lol) and its 0.50USD cheaper per unit.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/texas-instruments/PTH08080WAH/296-20432-ND/724048

edit: just saw post about BOM being relatively dated. Well this is a component to consider, its slightly cheaper and smaller component (.8mm less tall, I know that's not much) and same characteristics (same Vi and Vo ranges, Ao is 2.25A, etc..)

8. medic3k .

you may as well use a cheaper 8" screen, most can run on 5v if you bypass the DC-DC stepdown converters from 12v->5v, some can even do 3.3v. N64 cant display 1080p anyways so you'll be paying for an unused feature in this guy when you can cut the cost down 75% for 480p output

9. Koboid .

Dat double post

modler2 likes this.
  10. modler2 .

The next cheapest 4:3 monitor that I have seen that is at least 5" or bigger is the ZJ050NA-08C with the driver board for $62 cad, it doesn't have speakers and requires modification in order to run off 5v. It's completely possible, however for the extra $28 I get one day shipping, amazon return policy, built in 5v support and speakers. I completely understand where you're coming from, however I'm willing to pay the little bit extra for the convenience.

Koboid likes this.
  11. Jonny .

Amazon return policy isn't good for much if you plan on taking it apart to fit it into a portable.
    I can vouch for the zj050NA-08c, its a really crisp screen and its a good size for a portable.(and is super easy to 5v mod) Be careful ordering an 8 inch screen for a handheld, because its probably bigger than you think.
    And don't buy a screen because it comes with speakers. Its ridiculously simple and cheap to wire up a PAM8803 and a few speakers. If anything, the driver board will have to be bigger to accommodate the audio amp, which takes away room for other things in your portable.

Koboid likes this.
  12. medic3k .

fair enough :) just making sure you dont over pay. but if you're happy with that pricepoint then go for it. itll look nice!

Koboid likes this.