Worklog SiiMii - SquarePear's first portable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no clue what I'm doing...

Things I'm going to try to have in the portable:
  • 5" Screen (With a touch panel that acts as the Wiimote pointer)
  • 4 18650 Lithium-ion batteries
  • buttons from a ds lite and other controllers
  • 3ds slider
  • 3D Printed case
  • Charge & Play
  • Internal Wimote
  • IR leds and GC controller ports on bottom of case
  • Micro sd port
  • Bluetooth and Wifi
  • "Docked Mode" (Use external Wiimotes and output video through HDMI)
  • Maybe more...
I'm going to try to order the wii today, and the rest of the stuff in the next week. I'm trying to have this done by Christmas break so I can take it back to the US to show my family, but that probably isn't happening.

I'll probably need a lot of help, so thanks in advance :XD:

Is there a reason you are using microsd over usb? For your first portable, you are going to make it hard on yourself. Since this is your first, i would recommend making it a bit simpler. You learn so much while creating your first portable. It will also keep you from getting super discouraged.

And dont rush to get this done. Creating portables is an art and takes a lot of planning, work, and love.

I was just going to use microSD because I have one lying around, but I could use usb if its easier

PortabalizeMii needs a usb to run. That is just how the software is configured. Also the usb is MUCH easier to wire up than sd.

You can still use a micro sd card, you just need to put it in a microsd to usb converter.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
PortabalizeMii needs a usb to run.
That’s not entirely accurate. I was in the “going with SD because that’s what I have” boat at first and it worked without usb, just not well. It was slow to boot up, the startup video didn’t play, and my mp3s wouldn’t randomize. Wii games wouldn’t play at all. I then picked up a cheap flash drive before investing in a Samsung fit and all of a sudden PortablizeMii just worked.

So while microSD can work, you’re definitely not getting the most out of PortablizeMii without going usb.

Another thing i feel like i should mention. You said you want to 3d print a case. Thats great. But you create your case around your parts. You have to get everything planned out first. Then you need to get all the parts. You then have to measure everything. Then after that, you can start 3d designing a case.

3d designing a case is hard. I have started designing mine and realized how meticulous everything is.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
  • (With a touch panel that acts as the Wiimote pointer)
  • Micro sd port
  • Internal Wii Remote
  • Wifi
  • "Docked Mode" (Use external Wiimotes and output video through HDMI)
For a first portable I would scrap all of the ideas I have quoted. I am assuming you are a beginner, and many of these are difficult even for advanced users.

Touch screen: @JacksonS got it working after a lot of work but it's still not done. If you don't have experience with microcontrollers, consider this unachievable for the forseeable future.

Micro SD card slot: Save yourself the headache, and don't. Spend $40 on a 128gb Samsung Fit USB drive and you will never look back.

Internal Wii Remote: however difficult you think this is, multiply it by 100. You are gonna need a ton of transistors to make it all work. And the end result isn't worth it at all. People are working on GC controller codes for some games like NSMB and Kirby return to Dreamland.

Wifi: highly skilled and unforgiving wiring task with almost no utility. If any of your wiring fails, the Wii will not function at all until it is fixed. Not worth it at all.

Dock: you are going to need an internal component to HDMI converter in addition to having a toggle switch to select which mode. You will not be able to switch mid gameplay, and it will require a reboot. It's not going to be the smooth convenient process that the Nintendo switch has.

If I sound discouraging, it's not intended. Many users take these issues head on dispite our warnings, and fail. They get discouraged and quit. We want you to succeed, and the best way to do that is to avoid the mistakes that most users make. Can't wait to see your completed portable! :D

havocb

No good reason to have Wifi these days, Wii ditched most wifi support. Netflix maaaaybe but on a 480p screen? Eh nah.

Status
Not open for further replies.