Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1709.JPG

Sooo this a a weird one... I'm wiring up my gc+ board and some weird stuff is going down. Specifically with my main analog stick. I'm testing it out on melee and if I slightly and slowly tilt the joystick up and down, it works, but if I hard tilt it, I'm getting c-stick moves.. and my c stick isn't even connected. I don't know how it's possible but it's happening. Also, in the PM main screen, I'm getting a weird loading icon in the bottom corner of the screen(bottom picture) when I quickly tilt the analog stick. I can barely use the stick to make my way around the screen. Any help would be much appreciated!

Portables
Lol!
View attachment 1894 View attachment 1893
Sooo this a a weird one... I'm wiring up my gc+ board and some weird stuff is going down. Specifically with my main analog stick. I'm testing it out on melee and if I slightly and slowly tilt the joystick up and down, it works, but if I hard tilt it, I'm getting c-stick moves.. and my c stick isn't even connected. I don't know how it's possible but it's happening. Also, in the PM main screen, I'm getting a weird loading icon in the bottom corner of the screen(bottom picture) when I quickly tilt the analog stick. I can barely use the stick to make my way around the screen. Any help would be much appreciated!
I think I read about this problem somewhere... but I'm too lazy to go looking. I think @cheese said that you'll see problems like this when the sicks aren't wired up. I could be wrong though. Try wiring up the C-stick and see if the problem persists.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Is there a reason to use two USB ports in a wiip? For example, can you plug in a usb controller into port 2 for snes games or multiplayer? I kept the ports from my wii and need to either use the double decker ones or find a different one from something else.

EDIT: does anybody know of something that looks like breadboard but all the points are connected? That would be amazing for getting 3.3v to all the places it needs to go.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Madmorda I personally put 2 ports on my Wii portable(s). It has a few minor uses, like Nintendont can use the Wii u gamecube controller adapter. You can charge your phone, use dumb peripherals like guitar hero guitars, and rumor is you can use the USB lan adapter with the no-wifi IOSs.

Hey, I was looking at the Custom Regulators thread and noticed they didn't show the output capacitor hooked up. Is this how we're supposed to wire up the regulators with both capacitors?

Attachments

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
and rumor is you can use the USB lan adapter with the no-wifi IOSs.
Now I wanna try that, gotta bring a Wii to my brothers place and test with his Lan adapter

Hey, I was looking at the Custom Regulators thread and noticed they didn't show the output capacitor hooked up. Is this how we're supposed to wire up the regulators with both capacitors?
Yep, that's right

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
@Madmorda I personally put 2 ports on my Wii portable(s). It has a few minor uses, like Nintendont can use the Wii u gamecube controller adapter. You can charge your phone, use dumb peripherals like guitar hero guitars, and rumor is you can use the USB lan adapter with the no-wifi IOSs.
Wait does that mean you can do 4p smash with the second usb? Or only one controller at a time?

Wait does that mean you can do 4p smash with the second usb? Or only one controller at a time?
IIRC the gc adaptor requires two USB ports. So with only one USB port available, you'd only be able to use two of the ports on the adaptor. I could be wrong though!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
IIRC the gc adaptor requires two USB ports. So with only one USB port available, you'd only be able to use two of the ports on the adaptor. I could be wrong though!
Idk, I know on a pc you only need the black cable but I don't know if that applies elsewhere
You only need one USB. The other is only for rumble. You might be able to have rumble too if you plugged the other plug into the wall, but idk. But I still want to know if you can do 4p melee on a wiip using the usb port 2.

So I have a question about the mx chip. It deals with like game clockes and what not, so without it, things like gbc and gba Pokémon games work fully work? Like they will play you won't be able to use time events? And then as far as gamecube and Wii, it's pretty much just animal crossing that uses rtc?

cheese

Staff member
So I have a question about the mx chip. It deals with like game clockes and what not, so without it, things like gbc and gba Pokémon games work fully work? Like they will play you won't be able to use time events? And then as far as gamecube and Wii, it's pretty much just animal crossing that uses rtc?
AFAIK emulators don't use the rtc, they just make it up, and animal crossing is the only game that uses rtc, it still works, time just stays still when you aren't playing.

Also, could someone who manually installed their nowifi wads give me a rundown on how they did it?
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portablizemii-help.611/#post-7636

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Madmorda last I heard, N64 and NES virtual console games do not work without the MAX chip. The emulators do though. @cheese correct me if I'm wrong please

I also know some Gamecube games use RTC for minor functions, like melee uses the RTC for time-stamping when you reach certain goals. The game can still be played of course, but the timestamps will obviously be wrong.

The Next Guy

Sun Dried Cases
Portables
Melted in the Sun

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
N64 games:
through VC - requires MX
through not64 - requires MX (as we can't recompile it)
through wii64 - doesn't require MX

NES games:
why are you not using an emulator anyways

All other VC stuff works as far as I was able to determine.

addendum - if you want the best possible N64 experience on the Wii, wire up the MX chip. This may change in the future ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, for testing whether or not the MX chip is wired correctly, boot Nintendont directly from the homebrew browser, and turn off memory card emulation. Then boot a game that requires fonts, such as Star Fox Assault. If there's no text, something's wrong.

RTC is assumed working as well(as long as you also wire up a battery,) but you'd have to set the clock, turn everything off, wait awhile, then turn it back on. There's conflicting data on the bat+ relocation spot, but I've been unable to test anything myself yet, so I haven't updated the guide yet. It's on my list. updated the guide fuck it

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
What gauge wire would you guys recommend for wiring up controller ports? I normally use 26g but I don't know if that will work for the small relocation points. I'm concerned too thin wire won't be good for carrying power or will be too fragile.
I would recommend the thinnest wire you have for wiring data, everything else (5v, 3.3v, ground) should be with the thicker wire (26ga should be fine).

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
20170329_142530.jpg
I'm working on the Bluetooth module. It looks all good, but the wiimote won't sync. I'm 85% sure that the data wires are good because my multimeter says so. I used 30 gauge for those and 28 gauge for the 3.3v and ground. I've tested each pin and they are all connected to either voltage or ground, with no bridges. Each ground and voltage line has its own wire in case they are on the thin side. When trying to sync, I use a 28 gauge wire to connect the sync pad to 3.3v but the wiimote just keeps flashing. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.