Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Aurelio, May 27, 2018.

1. mike9012 .

I set to 480p using my component cable, and followed to step 7 by my composite cable and got a black screen, any clue?

-merge-

-merge-

After selecting boot or pressing B black screen

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  2. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . . .

Portables:
    That's not an issue with VGA. Your USB drive is not wired up properly or plugged in. The black screen is because it's booting back to the system menu from postloader which is not supported by the vga hack

3. mike9012 .

I did it ,you are a genius !!!!!!the picture is perfect, I have worked for four days because of the goddamn USB driver, I only can make it because of your help,Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

Shank and Aurelio like this.
  4. Breaking Hard .

Hello Aurelio, You did an amazing job, regards from Ukraine! I am wanted to get native VGA with non trimmed wii. I have softmoded wii with hombrew launcher and USB loader to run WII games from HDD. I got what I should do with hardware part, but the rest is not clear because of You mod is for PortablizeMii. Could You please tell how to install vga software mod in this case?

5. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . . .

Portables:
    The hack works only with portablizemii, since it relies on modified builds of priiloader, postloader and neek2o.

6. Breaking Hard .

I will try install portablizemii and use native VGA

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  7. Diminuendo .

I need to do more portabalizmii research, I'm wondering how well it works for a unmodified hardware. I really would rather use the standard wii menu.

8. Noah The Manager Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    it's better than the Wii menu. you can load anything without having to boot into the HBC first (meaning no Wii remote required.) I use it on a stock Wii and it works fine.

Matthew likes this.
  9. Breaking Hard .

How it works with external HDD? Do I need to install USB loader or its not needed? I will also try to use portabalizmii on unmodified WII just for native VGA, I have ordered one more console for this tests.

10. Noah The Manager Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    Hard drives are hit or miss so you'll need to test it yourself or see if someone has found an adapter that's confirmed to work. Loading games is part of the pack, which I think should be covered in the documentation. Everything you need for GC/Wii games is included.

Stitches likes this.
  11. superior1777 .

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've started some of the early steps in building a portable wii. I'd like to test as much as possible before doing something irreversible, like trimming. I was going to install the VGA mod and do the U10 relocation. I've already installed portabilize mii. I ordered a component cable to switch the wii into 480p mode before installing the VGA mod.
    Using the component cable and AV mode (composite) on the TV I can get the picture to appear in black and white. When I switch to 480p mode in the wii menu, I get duplicate screens side by side in AV mode. WHen I switch over to component mode on the TV, its black with no signal...
    So now the troubleshooting... Here's what I've figured out so far...

I was able to test the cables on a Wii U and they seemed to work fine.

With the component cable installed I can go to 480p mode where with the composite cables that option was grayed out. so the wii appears to recognize to some degree that the component cables are installed.

I've tried hooking it up to two different TVs. I don't get a picture in component mode on either of them.

Based on what I've read, if the VGA mod is installed, component cables stop working...
    So does Portibilize Mii come with the VGA mod installed?
    Or is this a sign that there is something wrong with my wii?

Thanks in advance for you help!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  12. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    That, yes. If you didn't install the VGA patch, that shouldn't be happening. Have you tried redownloading PM, deleting your existing USB files, and copying the newly downloaded files to your USB? It's kinda a "try turning it off and on again" thing, but it's the first real troubleshooting step. Do that and report back and we can go from there.

13. superior1777 .

I pulled the USB drive and copied the fresh PM files onto it overwriting the old ones. I did not see any change in behavior when I put it back into the wii and started it up.
    I went ahead and did a wii system memory format to take PM completely out of the picture. First thing I did after setting up the wii was change the resolution. Still got a black screen when switching to component mode.

I'm starting to think that there is an issue with the wii hardware that is preventing it from outputting component. Perhaps a problem with the AVE chip?

Any further ideas would be appreciated. Othewise, I'll be ordering another wii.

14. Kadano .

It sounds like your TV has combined CVBS / YPbPr sockets. On some capture cards, these are strangely combined in the way that the composite video plug inserts into the Pb socket, not into the Y socket. If it's implemented like this on your TV, it would cause exactly this issue that you are having if you are not re-plugging the cables after switching from one input mode to the other.

Then again, I assume that when you tested the cables on your Wii U, you did make sure to plug them in in the way that the TV expects them, so I think it's quite unlikely that you only forgot to replug them currently when using the Wii. But still, stupid mistakes just happen sometimes, and from your description, it really does sound like more of a TV cable wiring issue than a Wii video output issue. You have confirmed that the Wii is indeed outputting 480p over YPbPr, otherwise you wouldn't be able to see the double frame picture on your TV when having it set to interpret it as CVBS. So I really doubt that your AVE chip is to blame.

On another note, I personally don't solder the mode pin to 3.3v directly, but both of these to a switch, so full YPbPr and CVBS output is retained alongside VGA, even with Priiloader VGA installed. Might be helpful for troubleshooting and testing VGA output while you keep your mainboard still fully intact with the Multi AV output plug and everything.

For CVBS: Set the switch to off and boot the Wii with either composite cables or no cables connected
    For YPbPr: Set the switch to off and boot the Wii without cables, connect the component cables after 10 seconds after startup or so.
    For VGA: Set the switch to on

15. Shank Certified Wiitard Staff Member . .

Portables:
    That's really cool. Very clever. I wonder though, would 480p still function through this, or is it restricted to 480i since that was what it was forced to start in?

If you cut the trace running to the cable sense line, you wouldn't have to physicaly unplug the component cables: just flip the switch after a few seconds.

It could be taken a step further with a 3 way switch, with pulling low, pulling high, and delayed pull high. This would be extremely easy to implement in a microcontroller.

Kadano likes this.
  16. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . . .

Portables:
    It will work in 480p

17. Cioccadiporco .

Hello everybody
    I have a vga priiloader installation error, how can I fix it?
    Thanks

sorry for bad english.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  18. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . . .

Portables:
    "English".
    It wasn't able to delete the settings and password file, probably because they weren't there, but the installation went fine

19. Cioccadiporco .

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  20. Dango .

I went through the steps and when I tried to select PostLoader it just went to a black screen. I think I did the rest of the steps correctly, what can I do to fix this?