Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Hello Aurelio, I'm having a problem with getting the VGA mode to work. I've installed portablizewii vga and set it to autoboot with priiloader. Then I did the wirings and removed the 4 resistors. I've also tried using another point for mode to 3.3v. Now I'm getting a black screen. I've tried soldering the points again but still no luck. :( It's a first gen jap unit with GC ports. I've assembled back the unit. If I disconnect mode to 3.3v would I still be able to use component or wii2hdmi?

Attachments

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hello Aurelio, I'm having a problem with getting the VGA mode to work. I've installed portablizewii vga and set it to autoboot with priiloader. Then I did the wirings and removed the 4 resistors. I've also tried using another point for mode to 3.3v. Now I'm getting a black screen. I've tried soldering the points again but still no luck. :( It's a first gen jap unit with GC ports. I've assembled back the unit. If I disconnect mode to 3.3v would I still be able to use component or wii2hdmi?
Make sure you don't have shorts.
Also once the mod is installed VGA replaces component, so that and wii2hdmi won't work (both cables connect mode to 3.3V). You can try composite (disconnecting mode from 3.3V) to make sure the wii is still working.

Okay, I will try that. Quick question is it necessary to remove the 4 resistors for the data pins or it will be okay to just connect the RGB v h and ground?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay, I will try that. Quick question is it necessary to remove the 4 resistors for the data pins or it will be okay to just connect the RGB v h and ground?
You don't need to remove anything to get VGA, you can just pull RGB and ground straight from the AV port. Have you checked that all your lines are correct? Sometimes people accidentally switch H and V sync and get no output. The RGB points from the diagram can also be a bit confusing. Pin 7 is highlighted in green because it's the Y signal for component, but in VGA mode actually carries R. It's marked as such in the pinout in the top left, but sometimes it's missed.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Make sure your blue line is connected properly. Your screen looks like only the R and G lines are connected.

Ange7

Hi everyone im new here, I will like to only add native vga to my untrimmed softmoded wii. what is PORTABLIZEMII? its needed for my propose? any download link available if it is? thanks!

Last edited:

vikMKW

Using magnet wire for all the conductors without shielding doesn't sound like the best solution.

If I were to cut the connector off one side of a VGA cable and solder the respective signals, I'd need to solder the individual conductors' shields with the braided shield, and finally to a ground point, correct? Or are my EMI concerns negligible?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Using magnet wire for all the conductors without shielding doesn't sound like the best solution.

If I were to cut the connector off one side of a VGA cable and solder the respective signals, I'd need to solder the individual conductor's shields with the braided shield, and finally to a ground point, correct? Or are my EMI concerns negligible?
It depends on the length of the wires and what they get close to. If the wires are short it shouldn't matter too much, but you can twist a grounded wire up with each VGA data wire to serve as rudimentary shielding, or use thin shielded coaxial wire.

vikMKW

It depends on the length of the wires and what they get close to. If the wires are short it shouldn't matter too much, but you can twist a grounded wire up with each VGA data wire to serve as rudimentary shielding, or use thin shielded coaxial wire.
Ahh yeah, that's another way of going about it. I've got enough donor VGA cables, so if its plausible, I'll go for it.

Just to report back I bought wire, connectors, disassembled my Wii... and then chickened out at the actual soldering. That plus knowing I’d have to use do new custom software (PortabalizeMii) was enough to put me off.

Given my goal was just to get VGA on an untrimmed Wii I decided to take an easier path.

So I’m now using two adapters to get Wii > HDMI > VGA and this gives me pixel perfect output on my 20” 640x480p LCD TV, which has auto/manual adjust and zero processing in VGA mode. Total lag is ~20ms (roughly equivalent to my TVs HDMI mode that doesn’t give a pixel perfect picture)

Eventually I will do this VGA mod... but for now this adapter chain is a good solution for me. Maybe this information will be useful to other untrimmed VGA hunters like myself .

Stay safe and have fun!

Last edited:

BMN

Hello all, I appreciate the work done on this, would it be possible to utilize this in some manner to force 480p over an RGBS Scart cable? If so what would need to be done? Having the Wii being capable to push 240p/480i and 480p to my capture device and broadcast monitor would make my life a lot easier. I'm guessing I'll need to install portabilizemii, is there any way to do this with priiloader, and since it would be through scart do I need to short the 3.3v? Or is this unnecessary.

Thank you for the help!

Hi all,
I'm having a strange issue. When I install the VGA mod, the wii looses the ability to go into the postloader.
When I power on the wii, it goes straight into the system menu. If i try to load the postloader from the homebrew screen, I get an error stating that a configuration file is missing. If i re-run the cheese installer, it boots into the postloader again and it seems to run fine. Installing the VGA mod again breaks it.
I've done a couple fresh installs of portablizemii and it works fine until I install the VGA mod.
My wii is not trimmed but I have done the U10 relocation.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Hey guys,

I want to perform this mod, but I have a few questions. Do I only need to attach 6 wires in total to the VGA input of my display (R, G, B, horizontal sync, vertical sync, ground)? Can I simply ignore the other cables like R ground, G ground etc.? Thanks in advance!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Depends on the monitor and cables, most cables will short RGND, GGND, BGND, and GND together (in the case of the Wii they should be connected together). Beyond those, the other pins don't matter, as those are for detecting the resolutions supported by the monitor