jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Parted stuff out for my regs:

View attachment 3790

Did a little test layout:
View attachment 3791

And as an added bonus, I also got a driver board for an LCD I've had laying around today, so I built a stand for that. After cleaning up, I'm pretty happy with my new setup.
View attachment 3792

The goal with the trailing component leads on the protoboard I made is to use them as the legs if the PTH08080s. I'm going to take off the existing legs tomorrow and hopefully get nice clean holes with my solder-sucker that I can bring the leads through. We'll see how that goes.
Make sure you use a high temp for the ground through hole, that sucker is always difficult to get out.

Well, it worked last night. I put heat-sinks on it and this morning it seems to be caught in a bootloop of sorts; It's blinking between black and "no signal" on my little screen. Any ideas?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Did you take the heatsinks off and test? I remember someone (though it was a GCP) had problems with a trimmed console after they put heatsinks on. They found a work around, though I can't temember what it was.

I'd try taking them off just to be sure, as well as running through the standard troubleshooting stuff. Especially check out U10, because if it is a booting issue it could likely originate from there.

Unfortunately, my trim does not quite fit inside of the footprint of a Wavebird controller. Before I resort to extensive case modification, is there anywhere I can further cut down my mainboard?
IMG_20170811_003944.jpg

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Hmm... You could trim a tiny bit off by the NAND, but not enough to really make it fit. To fit it in would require a LMAO trim at the very least.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Unfortunately, my trim does not quite fit inside of the footprint of a Wavebird controller. Before I resort to extensive case modification, is there anywhere I can further cut down my mainboard?
Not sure if kidding...
@ShockSlayer

Made some progress, sorry I haven't been posting. Classes have started, etc. I'm wondering if there's any good way to shield my video wires as they go from the Wii to my HDMI adapter. It's coming out fuzzier than I would like.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Made some progress, sorry I haven't been posting. Classes have started, etc. I'm wondering if there's any good way to shield my video wires as they go from the Wii to my HDMI adapter. It's coming out fuzzier than I would like.
Are you using a Wii2HDMI sort of thing? In that case you can use the coaxial cables used for the WiFi antennas on the Wii

Indeed. I understand with a pure digital system it would be less of an issue. Okay, I've got some coaxial wire from a laptop wifi antenna around somewhere. I'll use that. Thanks!

Mini-update:

I've been bogged down with schoolwork and other projects, but I got the Wii2HDMI hooked up with some shielded wire and the image looks a bit better. USB is now also hooked up, so I've got a complete boot. Also, cooling should be a non-issue and the integrated fan is now wired up.

I was wondering, what are the compatibility limits of USB gamecube adapters (like this one), or USB gamepads in general? I know Nintendon't will work with them, but beyond that I don't have a clue.