Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Discussion in 'Console Modding 101' started by cheese, Oct 14, 2016.

1. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Yes you need a driver board for the display. Also the driver board has to actually support composite video. Then you just solder a wire from the composite video pin on the console to the composite video in on the driver board. Then connect a gnd wire between both for the return path. You'll also need a means to power the screen. Many screens run on 12v, but can be operated on lower voltages such as 5v (check the guide section for more info on this).

2. nim .

How do I find driver boards?

3. jefflongo Broke BitBuilt Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Most displays you buy will come with a driver board. Most people use car backup monitors from eBay.

nim likes this.
  4. Dustin Fisher .

Portables:
    Hey all! I just joined this forum and it seems very information dense so far and I really appreciate that. My goal is to make a portable that can play GameCube games and I see that a Wii is a very plausible way of doing this! I have attempted to make a GameCube portable in the past and that was a lot of fun! although unsuccessful. I have made a successful raspberry pi handheld and that turned out pretty good I think. Regardless, I have prior experience in soldering and electronics but I keep seeing that people use custom regulators when doing the OMGWTF trim and I was wondering as to why not to use a step-down regulator from online? such as this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJ0SC2...olid=1KUHS9P9WPW0U&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Will it work as a replacement regulator when going through with this? I have a power supply to tune them. Thanks in advance!

5. Cradiak .

Portables:
    Wii Laptop V2.0
    Welcome to the forum! I'm working on a GameCube portable right now, good stuff.

That step-down regulator looks like it should work. I'm not sure how the size compares to the custom regs most use here, but assuming size isn't an issue I don't see why they wouldn't work. Only pro I guess to making your own is they don't have to be adjusted/programmed to get the right voltage, they are hard wired to regulate the voltage to the desired amount, so it may be a bit more reliable because it's a master of one trade so to speak instead of a jack of trades (er, voltages...), but that's just speculation. Some of the other guys here can probably illuminate more on that, I haven't had to mess with custom regs yet.

6. GingerOfOz no wario Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Actually those regulators are a terrible idea. We reccomends the PTHs because they are the cheapest, easy to regulators that actually work. Those ones are notorious for just about everything: being DoA, melting down, overblown specs, extreme heat, etc. A portable is an investment, and cheaping out on regs is a great way to ruin the whole product.

So long story short, they rarely work, and if they do at first then they don't last long.

Good choice with the Wii though, you are right in assuming that it's the best option for portable GameCube games. Hope this helps!

7. Dustin Fisher .

Portables:
    Ahh, i see! Thank you for the feedback! I will take a look into making custom regulators and seeing if that is an adequate option but i do not see why it wouldn't. Can you recommend a place to look up making custom regulators on bitbuilt? I can't seem to find the right thread.

8. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/custom-regulators-an-explanation-and-guide.754/

The Guide Hub will help you out, we've spent some time writing and proofreading the guides in there.