Discussion Ideas, questions, etc, Post em here!

Discussion in 'Console Modding 101' started by cheese, Oct 14, 2016.

1. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

On top of the iron you mentioned (make sure to get one that has a station, as the ones that plug straight into the wall are generally just plain bad, either the nicer Hakko 888D or the cheaper Weller), you'll need some screwdrivers to take the things apart along with some other hand tools, and replacements for things you find are broken. If you want to make a portable console, some commonly used parts are listed in the BOM.

You'll probably need a slightly larger case than that one (unless you don't plan on having internal batteries, and even then it may be a bit tight), and you'll definately need to use your soldering iron (though if it doesn't have a station I'd suggest one of the irons I suggested above).

Also, welcome!

AfroAddy likes this.
  2. Luingus221 .

Oh yeah, nearly forgot about the screwdrivers and other tools. My mom has PLENTY of those, as she does a lot of her own car maintenence. We used to have a family business owned by my deceased great-grandpa (a body shop to be specific,) but it is not ours anymore.

cheese likes this.
  3. AfroAddy .

Thanks for the advice! :) Regarding internal batteries, would you suggest trying to implement them? I dont have a multimeter, and i dont wanna explode anything!

4. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

Probably would be a good idea to get a multimeter. But that is really personal preference. We have a guide about batteries that should get you through the process of setting them up if you'd want them.

5. DeoNaught .

Portables:
    sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
    It's like the only safe way to know if your board has shorts x3
    a cheap $10 will work most the time, even walmart has them

cheese likes this.
  6. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

Herp derp I meant to split that up, the personal preference part is about internal batteries, you basically need a multimeter if you want something to work right

7. Keeta .

Hey, I’m sorry if this isn’t the right place to ask, but since I’m not allowed to post anywhere else i figured I’d try here.

I was recommended here by shank mods for a issue with a wii I recently bought at goodwill.

Basically it gives me the system files are corrupted message, and I can only boot it in maintenance mode to not get the error. I tried formatting it and that didn’t help (and made it a nightmare to re setup as I had to rush through it to get to the normal menu screen before the error popped up again)

Originally I did plan to just use this wii for a replacement drive on my original, but I figured it’d at least be interesting to see if I could get it running properly again. I feel the original owner might have tried to software mod it somehow but messed something up.

Anyway forgive me again if this isn’t the place to ask this.