Ashida Wii Portable

Hello, I was able to source all my parts except a few that were out of stock:
- PMS-PD 2
- GC+ 2
- FAN AXIAL 35X10MM 5VDC WIRE

Does anyone know if there are alternatives to these? I have tried contacting 4Layer about restocking time frame however I haven't recieved a response.

Thanks in advance to any responses.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Not really any alternatives to the 4 layer boards for building an Ashida unfortunately. GC+ 2.0 is open source and can be built from parts, however this version doesnt have the castellated edges like the 4Layer one does, meaning its not suitable for soldering directly onto controller PCBs. As for the fan, let us know if you do find a decent source, as the metal shroud blower fans we use are starting to become harder to find... I would check AliExpress or eBay to see if you can find them tho!

Not really any alternatives to the 4 layer boards for building an Ashida unfortunately. GC+ 2.0 is open source and can be built from parts, however this version doesnt have the castellated edges like the 4Layer one does, meaning its not suitable for soldering directly onto controller PCBs. As for the fan, let us know if you do find a decent source, as the metal shroud blower fans we use are starting to become harder to find... I would check AliExpress or eBay to see if you can find them tho!
Thanks for your quick response. Yes I saw that GC+ 2.0 is open source and can be built from parts, however as you said about the castellated edges. I'll just have to wait and see if 4Layer responds.

I found a few sites for the fans according to part number. I will source one from either after closly looking.

- Octopart
- Oriion
- Jensen
- Mouse

Reactions: Y2K

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Sorry if this is the wrong place, I had just finished my Ashida build, and nothing was turning on. I thought this was due to using magnet wires for the voltage and ground wires on the gpu side of the Ashida, so I replaced them with larger 22awg wire. I'm still getting no response when trying to turn it on. Am I missing any connections on the Wii?

any help is appreciated thanks in advance!
Please don't hijack someone else's thread, make your own if you have questions.

So I powered up my Ashida for the first time and it looks like the VGA colors are wrong. I confirmed that I made the connections exactly as described in the Gii-Boy instructions for VGA. I double checked all of the video connections and they have proper continuity. My camera sucks at taking close up pictures but I can try to add some if that's helpful. Any suggestions? Thanks!
3AEB3F83-4EFF-4BDB-BFE1-DC92347B3E97.jpeg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So I powered up my Ashida for the first time and it looks like the VGA colors are wrong. I confirmed that I made the connections exactly as described in the Gii-Boy instructions for VGA. I double checked all of the video connections and they have proper continuity. My camera sucks at taking close up pictures but I can try to add some if that's helpful. Any suggestions? Thanks!View attachment 27362
Looks like you've wired the colours incorrectly. Your reds are green, your greens are blue, and your blues are red

Looks like you've wired the colours incorrectly. Your reds are green, your greens are blue, and your blues are red
Yeah, it's weird. I'll try switching them around on the driver board pads tomorrow. It's getting late and I always end up messing things up more when I try to fix stuff too late at night. Thanks for your help!

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Yeah, it's weird. I'll try switching them around on the driver board pads tomorrow. It's getting late and I always end up messing things up more when I try to fix stuff too late at night. Thanks for your help!
I can tell you right now your issue is that you didn't read the pinouts in the trim guide but instead looked at the colours which are for Component and not RGB.

I can tell you right now your issue is that you didn't read the pinouts in the trim guide but instead looked at the colours which are for Component and not RGB.
You're right. I just went with the colors in the diagram and didn't notice the difference indicated in the pin out. Problem solved. Thanks!

Okay the last issue I'm noticing is that I get audio through the headphones but not through the speakers. I'm guessing that the little legs on the speakers aren't making pressure contact with the pads on the left and right Ashida boards (I didn't solder them). Should I try soldering wires from the speaker legs to the L+L- and R+R- connections on the Ashida boards?

Portables
Okay the last issue I'm noticing is that I get audio through the headphones but not through the speakers. I'm guessing that the little legs on the speakers aren't making pressure contact with the pads on the left and right Ashida boards (I didn't solder them). Should I try soldering wires from the speaker legs to the L+L- and R+R- connections on the Ashida boards?
I had this problem too, you can try bending the legs so they make contact or yes just wire them up

Sorry if this isn't actually specific to the Ashida, but I seem to be having trouble adjusting screen brightness. Based on the RV Loader 1.6 forum thread, it looks like I should be able to adjust screen brightness by holding X+Z+DPad Up/Down. When I try to do that, I see the battery life percentage appear on the screen, but the brightness doesn't seem to change when I press up or down on there DPad. Am I just doing it wrong, or maybe I have an issue with my build? Thanks!

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Sorry if this isn't actually specific to the Ashida, but I seem to be having trouble adjusting screen brightness. Based on the RV Loader 1.6 forum thread, it looks like I should be able to adjust screen brightness by holding X+Z+DPad Up/Down. When I try to do that, I see the battery life percentage appear on the screen, but the brightness doesn't seem to change when I press up or down on there DPad. Am I just doing it wrong, or maybe I have an issue with my build? Thanks!
That's only if you have RVL-DD (Direct Drive), for the driver board, you need to connect buttons between K1-K5 and ground. IIRC the order is Power, Menu, +, -, Source. There is no way to natively navigate the screen menu once the portable is closed up. I made a custom board that taps the button inputs to the GC+ and uses logic gates to "press" the screen buttons for certain GC button combinations.

That's only if you have RVL-DD (Direct Drive), for the driver board, you need to connect buttons between K1-K5 and ground. IIRC the order is Power, Menu, +, -, Source. There is no way to natively navigate the screen menu once the portable is closed up. I made a custom board that taps the button inputs to the GC+ and uses logic gates to "press" the screen buttons for certain GC button combinations.
Gotcha. Okay, that's really helpful. Maybe I'll just wire some temporary buttons up to bring the brightness up a tad before I close my Ashida up. Thank you!

Okay, dumb question, but what screw size do I use for the eight screws that close the case? The Ashida BOM only mentions M2x5, which worked for stuff inside the case, but the screw holes for closing the case look smaller in diameter to me. I just don't want to strip out the screw holes on the last step of this build. :\ Is M2x5 the correct screw for closing the case? Thanks!

Portables
Okay, dumb question, but what screw size do I use for the eight screws that close the case? The Ashida BOM only mentions M2x5, which worked for stuff inside the case, but the screw holes for closing the case look smaller in diameter to me. I just don't want to strip out the screw holes on the last step of this build. :\ Is M2x5 the correct screw for closing the case? Thanks!
yea they are the right size. Idk how you got your case but my screw posts kinda sucked. I ordered 2x5 and 2x8 screws because some of the posts weren’t getting a good grip.

mine were too big not too small tho

Last edited:

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
The short silver screws from the Wii work perfectly for those holes (any many others internally).