So I'm trying my hand a portable wii. Heres the goal list:

• Thinner than the original wii
  • Tablet form factor (with a stand)
  • No disk drive (USB Games)
  • Sensor Bar compatibility w/ original wiimote
  • All 4 gamecube ports and 1 Gamecube card slot
  • Headphone Jack
  • Large, loud stereo speakers
  • Big screen to make motion control games (where you stand far from the screen) more enjoyable to play (13" likely)
  • Slim Bezels
  • Probably not running on batteries as most places it will be used will have an outlet (plus the parts I am using are pretty heavy on power)
Let me know if I should add anything else!

-NLG

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
So no built-in controls? That should simplify things considerably. I really like the idea in general but I would reconsider your choice of not having batteries. If you do go with your 13” screen then you’ll have room to spare in your case and it sounds like this won’t be a handheld so you won’t really have to worry about weight. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

NLG

So no built-in controls?
Yep. This is primarily for motion based multiplayer games (cough cough wii sports) so having built in controls isn’t important to me.

Also, the display driver is huge so I won’t have much space for batteries. Plus I cannot for the life of me find out how to wire up a battery circuit and even if I did battery life would be mediocre. Good suggestions for a normal portable, but my design choices are unconventional :)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
So your goal is similar to the digital picture frame style devices? Sounds pretty cool. You may have issues with using original memory cards, but everything else seems super doable. If you use a standardized voltage as your input (12v or 5v) you can easily get external battery banks that can power it for on the go experience.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
With it being that big, you probably wouldn't even need to trim the board. Memory card ports might make it a comparable thickness to the original Wii. Overall, this shouldn't be too difficult of a project compared to most portables.

NLG

With it being that big, you probably wouldn't even need to trim the board. Memory card ports might make it a comparable thickness to the original Wii. Overall, this shouldn't be too difficult of a project compared to most portables.
Actually, I straight up sliced the stacked gamecube card slots in half and kept only the bottom. Surprisingly, it still works! The entire thing is going to be about 31mm thin.

NLG

If you use a standardized voltage as your input (12v or 5v) you can easily get external battery banks that can power it for on the go experience.
Uses the original wii power adapter lol had to since the driver board and screen both run on 12 volts.

Ebc

i'm going to follow your project! I have a similar ideia, to not minimize so much the original size of the board, but i would like to have the controllers on it, because my main ideia is to play gc games, and i've been told that the portable wii is easier than the gc hahaha :awesome::awesome:

I am doing a similar thing as well, but I'm going battery, 10", was gunna drop the memory card slots, but if I can single stack that might just keep it in.

Interested to see your progress.
What are you doing for casing?