Ghosts UltraWii Revitalized

Portables
Looks really neat man! Do you plan on keeping the buttons so big?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Mmmmm yes. Tiny and lots of battery life. THIS is my kind of portable. Glad to see this project is still alive and kicking. Cannot wait to see it done!

That's insane... I can only imagine how frustrating it was to figure out how to cram everything together since there is literally no room!

How many people have used that layout for the b button? Looks nice
Couldn't the original triggers be remade, but smaller? Could see how it looks like a mini envision

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Do you plan on keeping the buttons so big?
The buttons and d-pad are level with the switch sticks, which makes them easier to press. If they were much shorter, my thumb would hit the C-stick when I pressed them.
How many people have used that layout for the b button? Looks nice
Couldn't the original triggers be remade, but smaller?
I haven't seen this ABXY layout used before. It was entirely accidental and a result of me mirroring my ABXY sketch in Fusion. My thumb rests over all of the buttons, so I can rock my thumb around to press them. Pretty comfy. As for the triggers, they could definitely be made fancier...but I'm more concerned with making 'em as low-profile as possible! They're mostly hollow, and the dual-tacts stick up into the button to minimize height.
trigger.PNG

Assembling the prototype has helped me realize what needs to change in the design moving forward:
  • Not having an external SD slot is annoying as hell.
  • Headphone jack didn't fit well under the OMEGA.
  • The MAX17055 fuel gauge is meant for use in a laptop or tablet, where the batts are rarely removed. I like to open up my projects and tinker with them, and the MAX17055 got really confused when I pulled the batteries or reflashed the MCU. Not worth the hassle, so I'm changing from the bq24292i to the bq25895 and using its ADC to measure cell voltage, like Gman's PMS.
  • The battery and charging wires crossed to the front half of the case, and the voltage lines all crossed to the bottom half. Way too many bulky wires.
  • The PMS really shouldn't be mounted to the back of the LCD...
The UltraWii PMS and DAC would be perfect for a larger portable with room for dedicated mounts. But they aren't ideal for this portable in their current form factor. So, I combined the PMS and DAC into a ʟ ᴏ ɴ ɢ ʙ ᴏ ʀ ᴅ that sits in the gap between the heatsink and 18650s. I also integrated a USB C port, midmount 3.5mm jack, and the Chinese USB PD ASIC. Now, no large wires have to cross between the case halves.
layers.png
new assembly.PNG

bottom.PNG

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
This looks beautiful! Bet you'll get to #1 this year!
Thanks, but I started this project two years ago as my Summer 2018 Contest entry. :blush: It's way too old to be eligible for the 2020 contest! I'll make a new worklog eventually for my 2020 entry...