Question Screen for Gamecube Portable

Hi,

So, I have been continuing on my journey to build my portable Gamecube and have been searching for screens to use in my portable. I want something that is pretty big (5-6 inches or so) and of course native 480p. I have been looking around and found this on ebay. Could I use this? Or is there a better option that you guys know of?

Link to screen: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OPTREX-6-5...-TFT-LCD-Display-Screen-640X480-/152955012004

Thanks,
Joe

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That screen is hot garbage, this is one of the only two good 5 inch 4:3 screens.

When you say "native 480p", I'm assuming you mean the LCD having a 640x480 resolution, rather than getting progressive scan video out of the cube itself. To get 480p out of a cube, you need either an official component cable, or a tricky to wire GCVideo variant. Can you elaborate on your plans so we have more to work with?

Thank you for the reply! I was actually planning to wire the GCVideo PCB since I have a DOL-101 Gamecube that only has the analog connector. Honestly once I went progressive scan with the Wii...there is no going back so I don't plan on settling with the "default" AV connectors. I thought that 480p (progressive scan) was 640x480 so wouldn't going any higher result in distortion through downscaling?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you for the reply! I was actually planning to wire the GCVideo PCB since I have a DOL-101 Gamecube that only has the analog connector. Honestly once I went progressive scan with the Wii...there is no going back so I don't plan on settling with the "default" AV connectors. I thought that 480p (progressive scan) was 640x480 so wouldn't going any higher result in distortion through downscaling?
It'd look a bit funny if the screen tried to stretch it out, yeah. The Dalian screen I linked will display at native res, so no scaling wories. You might have trouble with the GCVideo on a 101. There are a few additional steps you have to take, and some tricky via locations. There used to be a PDF with that info on badassconsoles.com, but I can't seem to find it anymore. What specific GCVideo were you planning to use?

I haven't decided yet actually. I have been thinking that I would go with the PCB only - analog option that is $50 if that would work. Are the EZ packs all that necessary in a portable?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I haven't decided yet actually. I have been thinking that I would go with the PCB only - analog option that is $50 if that would work. Are the EZ packs all that necessary in a portable?
HA, you're shit out of luck mate. The day Mega releases those will be the day pigs fly south for the winter. If you order one from him, you'll never see that money again. If you want a GCVideo, you're going to have to assemble it yourself, or order a GCDual from citrus3000psi.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I gotta ask: Why GameCube? Are you aware of the objective advantages down the board of Wiis for use in portables? There is a long, long list of reasons nobody builds GameCube portables anymore, and it's not because we don't like GameCube games. Not trying to be condescending, or derail your thread. I just want to make sure you are fully aware of all your available options. I've seen too many people get halfway through a gamecube portable and regret not going with a Wii.

HA, you're shit out of luck mate. The day Mega releases those will be the day pigs fly south for the winter. If you order one from him, you'll never see that money again. If you want a GCVideo, you're going to have to assemble it yourself, or order a GCDual from citrus3000psi.
Wait, so I can't purchase the GCVideo board on badassconsoles? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. If I can purchase it, is there a tutorial on the forum of how to wire it up? (I googled it and couldn't find anything).

Last edited:
I gotta ask: Why GameCube? Are you aware of the objective advantages down the board of Wiis for use in portables? There is a long, long list of reasons nobody builds GameCube portables anymore, and it's not because we don't like GameCube games. Not trying to be condescending, or derail your thread. I just want to make sure you are fully aware of all your available options. I've seen too many people get halfway through a gamecube portable and regret not going with a Wii.
Oh yes I am very aware and I would love to build a wii portable in the future! Honestly I'm building this Gamecube portable more for practice and I plan on building a wii portable soon after I learn everything. I also don't trust myself with a dremel and I'm very scared of breaking wii boards with the fancy trims (I'm not trimming my Gamecube board just desoldering the ports I don't need).

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Wait, so I can't purchase the GCVideo board on badassconsoles? Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. If I can purchase it, is there a tutorial on the forum of how to wire it up? (I googled it and couldn't find anything).
He began accepting money for preorders for GC video almost 2 years ago, and has yet to ship a finished product.
Oh yes I am very aware and I would love to build a wii portable in the future! Honestly I'm building this Gamecube portable more for practice and I plan on building a wii portable soon after I learn everything. I also don't trust myself with a dremel and I'm very scared of breaking wii boards with the fancy trims (I'm not trimming my Gamecube board just desoldering the ports I don't need).
Even without trimming, wiring up and troubleshooting a GC is still more difficult, mainly because of the disc drive, memory card, and the infamous "today I'm gonna go out in a puff of smoke for no reason" problem GameCubes have. I don't want to discourage you, just make sure you are fully aware :D

He began accepting money for preorders for GC video almost 2 years ago, and has yet to ship a finished product.

Even without trimming, wiring up and troubleshooting a GC is still more difficult, mainly because of the disc drive, memory card, and the infamous "today I'm gonna go out in a puff of smoke for no reason" problem GameCubes have. I don't want to discourage you, just make sure you are fully aware :D
Thank you so much for the heads up and I'll keep that in mind! I honestly would rather build a Wii portable because of the pure beauty that is PortablizeMii (you guys are amazing) so even if this Gamecube portable doesn't work out ill just take what I learned and apply it to my Wii portable. Well, now that we're on the topic of Wii portables where do you recommend buying a used Wii of the best revision (RVL-CPU-60)?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Anyplace you can get used consoles is great. Check Craigslist and all those other "near you" selling places. Ebay is good too but they can be more expensive. It just kinda depends on where you live and who's trying to sell. I've picked up Wiis on ebay for 15-20 dollars, other people have picked up Wiis for 5-10 from local places. Broken disc drives are your friend, those will sell for a lot cheaper and we don't need the disc drive for anything, so they're a steal.

Also so far as portablizing goes, there's really only two kinds of revisions we care about - the four and six layer boards. If you pick up a red, black, or a wii without GC ports it's guaranteed to be a four layer, which is what we want.

Happy shopping! :D