Worklog PS2p: 3 years Hiatus... Comeback!

cfc_12

Portables
Am I doing it right for my analog?

this is where I cut

201.png

this is where I re wire it

202.png

Portables
Just remove the board entirely and solder to where the ribbon is, you don't need it attached and can save room in your portable.

cfc_12

Portables
So I followed this diagram

Is it the same just like how I did in the negative (-) of Charger Port, negative (-) of AC Adapter & the ground to PS2 Motherboard?

20170727_164248.jpg

20170727_164236.jpg

Its fine as long as its not contacting P+, although you should try not to go nuts with solder, there is such thing as too much, although the exact amount is a matter for debate

Portables
What Lightning says. If you have a variable temperature soldering iron, try turning it up a little so you don't have to burn your board quite so much. If you don't, I'd but some thinner solder so it takes less time to heat up.

cfc_12

Portables
i hate it when soldering irons are disposable, the needle point of the soldering iron does not stick anymore and only gives frustration

What kind of a budget do you have for soldering equipment? Because its a worth while investment to get a variable temperature soldering station, and if you really wanna splurge get one that has a built in hot air tool

cfc_12

Portables
What kind of a budget do you have for soldering equipment? Because its a worth while investment to get a variable temperature soldering station, and if you really wanna splurge get one that has a built in hot air tool
sorry, i'm not gonna invest for a hot air tool, that's too much, i'm only doing this as a hobby and not too much expenses for unnecessary things

Portables
How thick is your solder? You can heat the board up less using thinner solder (with a flux core)

cfc_12

Portables
How thick is your solder? You can heat the board up less using thinner solder (with a flux core)
Nvm It. I need help. How do I wire the SELECT, START & ANALOG Buttons to the PCB?

20170729_194055.jpg

Edit this picture using paint. I really need help

back.png

Portables
Solder each (left or right but not both) bottom leg of the switches to the controller's ground then solder either left or right but not both of the switch's top legs to each of the test pads (silver) on the controller.

Simples.

cfc_12

Portables
Solder each (left or right but not both) bottom leg of the switches to the controller's ground then solder either left or right but not both of the switch's top legs to each of the test pads (silver) on the controller.

Simples.
Is this what you mean?

wire.jpg

where is the ground on the 1st picture? can you point it to me?

Last edited:

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Yes like that. You can pull ground from anywhere you want.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
@cfc_12 Idk what you were asking in that PM. Could you please be a bit more specific? Btw that orange wire on square is ground. See how you can see it connecting to the other half of the start button? So you can connect your start etc buttons to ground there.

cfc_12

Portables
@cfc_12 Idk what you were asking in that PM. Could you please be a bit more specific? Btw that orange wire on square is ground. See how you can see it connecting to the other half of the start button? So you can connect your start etc buttons to ground there.
I saw your custom controller, it kinda resembles my controller (the one in this picture)

I see Ashen's controller back then that he added a resistor to a PS2 controller

did you add a resistor on your controller?

since our controller is almost identical

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've never made a ps2 portable, but if you can plug that controller in and it works, then you can wire it up and it'll work without a resistor. That said, I don't know why ashen used a resistor. Was his a third party controller?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The 3rd party controller does not need any resistor mods to work as a DS2 controller. Also on the 3rd party and 1st party controllers, not all the buttons have a common ground. Double check where the common connection is going, it might not be ground.

cfc_12

Portables
what should the sides physically look like after I trim?

what should the sides physically look like after I sand paper?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

(The picture above is my first PS2 Motherboard, the one that is frustrating back then to power on, i cutted it using a cutting plier back in december 2013)

And I'm using a 2nd ps2 motherboard now, hope I won't screw this up

You need to use a high speed cutting tool like a dremel, or a band saw in a pinch if its teeth are fine enough. Cutting pliers will run the risk of warping the board, and bending traces and planes into contacting each other. Sanding the edges is a way to prevent the latter