Worklog PS2p: 3 years Hiatus... Comeback!

That diagram you posted above is correct about the reset switch part, but there is another point on the other side of the board if you prefer

cfc_12

Portables
That diagram you posted above is correct about the reset switch part, but there is another point on the other side of the board if you prefer
ok show me the other side of the board part :)

cfc_12

Portables
HOLY MACKEREL!

I never thought that my 1st motherboard is still alive

(The one that is frustrating to power back then, now looking at it, it's well alive & kickin' B|)

2017-08-11 16.07.07.jpg

So what I did, I just re trim it with dremel, since what I used back then was a diagonal cutting plier, then finally sand it.

cfc_12

Portables
Now Planning on how to fit in the front case...

aaa.jpg

(That's the PS1 Screen... which is I'm not going to use. I'm just using it to visualize what will be the final output of the front case)

bbb.jpg ccc.jpg

cfc_12

Portables
What glue should I use to stick the dpad?

Should it be super glue?

Then how bout to fill the spaces?

Is it bondo?

aaa.jpg

bbb.jpg ccc.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

Should it be super glue?

Is it bondo?

View attachment 3908

View attachment 3909 View attachment 3910
I like to use one or two tiny spots of super glue to temporarily hold the plastic in place, then use epoxy to cement the bits permanently. Once it's fully cured, you sand it down and use several rounds of Bondo (or other automotive body filler, or spray filler) and sanding.

If you just use Bondo and super glue, it won't be as strong and flexible, and could cave under regular use or an unfortunate drop.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Is it fine if I use wood filler?
Wood filler is designed for wood, which is porous and absorbent. I don't know if it would adhere to the plastic very well, if at all. You can try it, but you'd have to check the base of the filler. Oil or water based would definitely be a pain to work with, but the acrylic type for lacquered flooring might work. Bondo or a plastic filler would definitely work better, though.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer

Should it be super glue?

Is it bondo?
Ay yo cfc, hope this helps.

In short, I recommend epoxy or melted ABS for structural work, Bondo for leveling out nooks and crannies, and glazing putty (not mentioned in the video) for fine detail work to cover small cracks.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
does body filler smell like rugby?
It definitely has a strong odor. Can't say that I know what rugby smells like though...
what's the difference between wall putty and marine putty?
Anything marine grade is intended to be used on a finished product that is expected to be in or around water. Since I have no intention of ever taking a portable on a boat, I've never used marine putty.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
what's the difference between wall putty and marine putty?

in terms of hardness when it dries?
Some marine putties need to be kneaded while submerged in water, or they stick to your hands like silicone caulk.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
No i did not assemble it, it was the original fan on the ps2
It just looks a little weird because the fan is backwards compared to how most people would do it (blowing through the heatsink instead of away from it), and sony put it at a wonky looking angle