Worklog PS2p: 3 years Hiatus... Comeback!

dude, isnt it when you plug the power cord to the ps2, the green led will automatically turn on which is stating that the ps2 motherboard recognizes that there's a power working in the ps2 motherboard
Well yes, but we've given you other ways to tell if the board still works, you said the fan isn't an option, so just try the video method

Also, and I don't mean to knit pick, but the LED is red when power is first applied, its only supposed to turn green when the reset switch is pushed

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
And might I suggest that if you need to resort to asking such banal questions, that perhaps you'd be better off commissioning someone to build you a portable, as you seem to lack much of the necessary experience for doing so
Chill man. I was asking these same questions 3 months ago, and I've almost finished a portable Wii. Telling someone that their questions are "banal" sends the message that their questions are unwanted, which means they aren't going to ask questions, which means they aren't going to finish a portable. It's why I never joined ModRetro, and why I joined BitBuilt in about .2 seconds.

@cfc_12 I would highly reccomended checking out these videos. They contain a lot of useful information for making any kind of portable, and will likely help answer some the questions you have right now and will soon have. There are lots of videos and it will take a while to get through them, but it will teach you lots and lots of things that are needed in making a portable.

cfc_12

Portables
hey guys quick question: ps2 slim model number scph-79006 is compatible for ps2 portable, right?

Wow you have a Japanese console? Anyway it should be fine, I'd be interested to see how (if at all) it differs from the 79001 though

cfc_12

Portables
Wow you have a Japanese console? Anyway it should be fine, I'd be interested to see how (if at all) it differs from the 79001 though
79006 is a japanese console? i bought one today

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
79006 is a japanese console? i bought one today
Google says the 6 at the end means it's a Hong Kong model. So it's probably NTSC-J (Japan), but check the sticker on the bottom when it arrives. If it is in fact a Japanese system, you'll need to fool the mechacon chip by patching the ISOs you want to use.

If you're going the USB loader route, it's a bit sketchy as to what works and what doesn't with region free apps. It'll be a bit of trial and error until you find something that works.

EDIT: Further research says you actually can't play out-of-region games without either: a modchip, burned patched disks, or an IDE HDD connected to the console with games installed to it via PC. I can't find any evidence of any USB loader being able to do it.

Last edited:

cfc_12

Portables
I just wanna ask, is it safe for a PS1 Screen to be used as a screen for PS2p when i'm not using a battery

The ps1 screen input is 7.5v just like the ps1 while the ps2 inputs 8.5v

Will it be safe in the long run for the ps1 screen to be used if the ps2 adaptor outputs 8.5v? will it malfunction in the future? will it cause shorts or explosion?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Personally, I wouldn't use a PS1 screen. They used to be super common and really good for portables, but now they're ~ $80 bucks on eBay. I personally used this screen, and I like it because of the quality and the fact that it can run off of any voltage between 5 and 12. You can also look here at other reccomended screens that are going to be cheaper, better quality, and easier to use.

Don't forget to take the aspect ratio into account, that screen is 16:9, while PS2 games are overwhelmingly 4:3

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Don't forget to take the aspect ratio into account, that screen is 16:9, while PS2 games are overwhelmingly 4:3
The screen is 800x480 and has a setting for that, the black bars don't look too bad on it either. Just a warning if you get/have that screen: DON'T change the mode setting from Sys2. It'll whiteout the display and you'll have to count inputs to get picture back.

Last edited:

cfc_12

Portables
Personally, I wouldn't use a PS1 screen. They used to be super common and really good for portables, but now they're ~ $80 bucks on eBay. I personally used this screen, and I like it because of the quality and the fact that it can run off of any voltage between 5 and 12. You can also look here at other reccomended screens that are going to be cheaper, better quality, and easier to use.
so what's the answer to my question then, is it safe to use it or not?

I got the ps1 screen for just 40$ together with the ps1 which I sell because I do not need it 3 years ago.

Will the ps1 screen be safe in the long run if i use the ps2 adaptor as the power source which is 8.5v?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
A quick Google search told me that me that you might be able to, but the colors will be scrubbed and not as pretty. It also will wear out the screen faster. The PS1 screen is very picky about its voltages.

Do you remember the zenith screen? It was just a modified recased psone screen, but it was made to use 8.5 volts through the addition of one or two resistors and capacitors soldered over existing components, so in theory it would be possible to run it on 8.5 volts