Worklog PS2p: 3 years Hiatus... Comeback!

Portables
so does this mean that you're suggesting me not to buy this screen?
I wouldn't go with that one personally. If you don't mind the wait you can get some pretty good ones to use from Ali Express for cheaper. That's where i get mine (25-30 dollars for screen and driver)

Only issue I've had with them is they don't support the 15hz signal for VGA of you want the best picture, but i don't think many screens do.

cfc_12

Portables
just wanna ask, what are the video capabilities for the ps1 screen?

is it only composite?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Please do some research. That's a question the Internet can answer in around 5 seconds.

Composite is all you can use, which is partially why people reccomended using other screens.

Please do some research. That's a question the Internet can answer in around 5 seconds.

Composite is all you can use, which is partially why people reccomended using other screens.
No, composite is not all you can use, the screen accepts RGB/VGA as well

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The source I read said that you needed to mod the screen in order to do it, but maybe it was wrong.

cfc_12

Portables
Looks like I found how to have a VGA output for PS2

Do you think this will work?

vga.png

Portables
Its cheaper for you to buy a wii/ps3 to VGA adapter and chop out the board inside it. Both solutions will produce a 15khz signal I think which still isn't very helpful. https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/252797714608

Edit:

That circuit; based on the data sheets for those icu numbers, looks like nothing more than a sync splitter (the sync is on green on a PS2.) The cost to design (time) and fabricate (money) such a board would cost you more than the £25/$40 that adapter does which does exactly the same.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what is the point of using a converter board when the ps2 outputs in VGA on it's own?

Portables
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but what is the point of using a converter board when the ps2 outputs in VGA on it's own?
That's what I'm saying, really. Ps2 outputs 15khz VGA already via 2 *incredibly* small H/V vias and RGB. Can be easier for some people to just use a converter board which has some nice big pads to solder to and split sync off the green channel.

In this case, the questions the OP has asked in this thread and their DMs- I'd probably recommend the board and not the vias to prevent damaging their PS2

Portables
Any benefit to going directly to the legs? Aren't the vias on the cathode side of a resistor path? (no board to look at since I Just moved house and had another baby so my portable is on hold.

No not really, the 70011 had test pads, but with the 79001 its really just a choice between vias or chip legs, and personally I'm doing vias

Portables
No not really, the 70011 had test pads, but with the 79001 its really just a choice between vias or chip legs, and personally I'm doing vias
To benefit @cfc_12, a via is a (probably for debugging/test harnessing purposes) place that a signal gets through before it gets to its final destination.