Question Moving/de-soldering the MX chip

loopj

Hey all, I'm working on a "peripheral" breakout board design for my project (with headers for USB, Bluetooth, Gamecube controllers). I'm considering expanding this board design to incorporate the MX chip for a clean single board design, but mostly for fun.

I've noticed in most builds that include the MX chip (and the trimming guide), people cut the part of the motherboard which contains the MX chip, but also some additional components, notably X2.

I was wondering a few things:
  • Has anyone has considered/succeeded in desoldering the MX chip completely, and re-soldering it elsewhere?
  • What is the X2 component? It looks like a crystal/oscillator, and I'm guessing it is required for the operation of the MX chip
  • Is this a horrible idea? :)
Thanks!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
We suggest cutting the section of board out as it contains some internal connections for voltage and ground, as well as the crystal and capacitors needed for proper operation (the two tiny caps on either side of the xtal are required as well). I have a proper pinout of the mx somewhere if you'd like it.

I don't think anyone has integrated the mx into a board design yet (unless I'm just forgetting a feature of @BocuD s huge board).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad idea, but I will say that you'll probably be doing a couple iterations of your board, which can add up in price and frustration quick.

BocuD

Portables
We suggest cutting the section of board out as it contains some internal connections for voltage and ground, as well as the crystal and capacitors needed for proper operation (the two tiny caps on either side of the xtal are required as well). I have a proper pinout of the mx somewhere if you'd like it.

I don't think anyone has integrated the mx into a board design yet (unless I'm just forgetting a feature of @BocuD s huge board).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's a bad idea, but I will say that you'll probably be doing a couple iterations of your board, which can add up in price and frustration quick.
Nah its not on my board, but iirc @Shank put it on one of his PWP2 pcbs. I think it might be a nice idea actually as relocating MX the "usual" way is kinda ugly and stuff, but hey it works i guess..

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Keep in mind there are a few other components you need to include, like decoupling capacitors. You will also need the current limiting components used to reduce draw on the RTC battery.