Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Is the U9 transistor the same as the U10 on the wii?
U9 and U10 are functionally identical. I have checked with a scope and swapped them on boards before to check.

The other 5-pin chips (such as U5 and U22) are NOT the same as U9/U10. U9 and U10 are the only 2 known to be interchangeable.

any chance for stock regulator cut for larger portable with enough space

3GRDYrU.jpg

^^ something like this ^^

Shank

Staff member
Portables
any chance for stock regulator cut for larger portable with enough space

^^ something like this ^^
Probably not. It might be possible, but it's unlikely. The stock regulators are kind of finiky and shut down at the slightest anomaly. You would have to troubleshoot a bunch to get them to work, and connect lines that were severed.

@ShockSlayer tried using the stock regulators, but even he struggled to take them.

If you really want to try it, you can use the compendium to map out your own cut, but I wouldn't recommend it.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Gman said he shorted the 1v and 1.15v with a single PTH08080. If I take the leap, what voltage should the single voltage regulator be outputting?
While it's highly recommended you don't, you would need to put around 1.18v-1.2v to get the system to boot. This will cause both the CPU and GPU to run hotter, and it will be less efficient than if you hadn't shorted the lines. We haven't tested this method enough to have a determinate answer as to if it's good/bad to do, so you are doing this at your own risk! (though to be completely honest, as long as you handle the extra heat you will most likely not run into (m)any problems)

ALSO: a single PTH08080 will most likely not provide enough current to power the system on, you will most likely have to go with a more powerful regulator, such as the ones used in the gamecube custom regulators.

tl;dr use a regulator rated for more amps, and set the voltage to around 1.2v. It's gonna be hotter, but you'll save yourself the like 8$ of a second regulator.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Gman said he shorted the 1v and 1.15v with a single PTH08080. If I take the leap, what voltage should the single voltage regulator be outputting?
I would recommend using 3 regulators since it is safe and guaranteed to work but if you are going to short them, use a PTR08100, it is rated for a higher current. The output current on the PTH08080s varies from batch to batch and one of the regulators I wired up wouldn't power the Wii until I added the 3rd one in. 1.15v under load will work fine on the 1v line although it is not recommended.

Interesting enough, as shown from quick tests, the Wii can really take a beating with voltages. The 3.3v line can handle much higher. A while back I was thinking of an experimental way to run the Wii off of a single regulator. Theoretically, you could use a 3.7v battery pack and power the 3.3v line from the mains, then use a single regulator for the 1v/1.15v line. However the Ti regs need atleast 4.5v to function according to the datasheet. A horrible idea, but still interesting to see if it could work.

Is 5v required to use a USB for portablizemii or can I use the 3.3v line I have been having issues emulating games and they won't boot my Wii will also occasionally boot to the homebrew channel and this only happened after I trimmed it

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Is 5v required to use a USB for portablizemii or can I use the 3.3v line I have been having issues emulating games and they won't boot my Wii will also occasionally boot to the homebrew channel and this only happened after I trimmed it
USB drives require 5v but I have found that the Kodac SD card reader will run off 3.3v. Interestingly, the card reader produces a lot of heat running from the 5v that it is rated for, but running it from 3.3v, it does not produce any heat.

Have you had any issues with the Wii booting to the homebrew channel or not booting at all because of the lack of a USB drive

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Have you had any issues with the Wii booting to the homebrew channel or not booting at all because of the lack of a USB drive
In what I've experienced, portablizemii will not boot without any drive inserted. I have not had any issues with it booting to the homebrew channel. You can hold down the reset button to boot into priiloader if you need to test the Wii without a drive in (that's what I do after I trim the board to make sure it is functional before proceeding).

Hello,

Just a few questions on some details.

• Sources for motherboards for the wii is it all local shops or are there online places you can get the revision board that you want?
  • In regards to the sanding the edge, how do you know how much to do it before you power up the board?
  • What method does everyone use to keep boards from shorting when you are stacking them inside a portable? ( specific tape or anything? )
I'm sure I'll figure out a few more as I get the ball rolling on my own project.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hello,

Just a few questions on some details.

• Sources for motherboards for the wii is it all local shops or are there online places you can get the revision board that you want?
  • In regards to the sanding the edge, how do you know how much to do it before you power up the board?
  • What method does everyone use to keep boards from shorting when you are stacking them inside a portable? ( specific tape or anything? )
I'm sure I'll figure out a few more as I get the ball rolling on my own project.
- You can find wiis both in local stores or online (eBay or craiglist/whatever you have where you live). If you want to be sure to get the right revision, just buy a non-white wii or a family edition one (the one without the gamecube ports).
- Sand them with very fine grit until they are smooth to the touch and you can't see any crossing layers.
- This depends mainly on how you are planning to design your case. For my Wii I didn't need any insulation tape because I 3D printed the case and I screwed all the boards in specific screwposts so that they couldn't touch with each others. If you need an insulation tape you can use kapton tape or standard electrical tape, they both work good.

Hello,

I have been thinking about how I want to do my portable and have settled on a screen size. But ran into a few questions on it and want to clear them up before picking a screen to move forward with one. Looking here at the BOM thread I was checking out one of the listed screens and found another in the process. Screen one, is recommended but seems the same to me as screen two. The only difference I see is one has HDMI, so I think that makes them functional the same for how either one gets hooked up to a trimmed Wii.Since we only have access to composite or component. Is this a correct assessment of the two screens?

Now is it worth it to go for a component screen vs the composite? I have to admit I am a bit clueless as to if it would be worth it or the general consensus on it.

A question relating to screens in general, i notice that in the description/datasheets it says "sunlight readable: no" do people have issues with the screens being hard to view while traveling?

The other question is on hooking up to the said screens above.I believe it is just a matter of connecting pin 3 to the correct input on the board for composite. This should give video to the screen correct?

Thank you for the input!
Java

New to the modding scene here! Hoping to do my first wii portable build (mostly for gamecube tho lol)

Few questions! are there any good guides on non-trimmed RVL-01 builds? I'm looking to make a more bulky hand held (as those are the cards i was dealt lol) And i don't really mind either. Just means more room for a bigger screen :P

Firstly, can you do the reg switch on the rvl-cpu-01? to get it more power efficiant? and if so, what are the drawbacks to doing that.

Secondly, what is the input voltage/amperage of the wii? i can't seem to find this anywhere, i know the default is 12 volts but what's the amperage? i've heard anywhere from 1.5-3 amps. so i'm confused lol.

thirdly, what is a good place to get decent quality flat cell batteries?

and lastly, if the majority (frankly all) of what i want to play is game cube related, would it be a better idea to just make a gamecube portable? seeing as the wii i have is the RVL-CPU-01 making trimming the thing not much of an option.

Noah

retired
Portables
You're much better off just doing a Wii portable either way. GameCubes are more expensive and harder to trim (IMO) than the Wii is. You can find a RVK or 40 or 60 for $10 on eBay if you look hard enough. Just make sure it's black or doesn't have GC ports and you're good. (Basically only get a white one if it doesn't have GC ports. All other colored Wiis are the ones you are looking for)

The Wii uses far less power than the GC which means that you'll be getting more battery life which is always a good thing. Custom regulators can be used on the Wii so that 7.4V is all you need.

One thing to keep in mind is that the GameCube would need a drive replacement as well as an adapter such as the MEGAdrive for a first timer like yourself. The Wii can play games with just software such as the PortablizeMii pack.

Cool thanks for the tip!!!! and that would be super useful! I've never done anything with soldering before (despite having had an iron for over a year) so this will be an...experience...for me lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.