Question Calling all noobs (noob question thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What's the general opinion on Raspberry Pi screens? I've been considering using a screen like this in my Wii portable build:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV/171280831162?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620091118&meid=0d9fe4cb90d04e0baeaf569ab2e382d1&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=253039777294

I did some digging online and actually found somebody who was using an HDMI Raspberry Pi screen for their portable Wii, it was encouraging, and I wanted to follow his process in my own project, but I thought I'd get the general opinion of the screen first. To me they seem very versatile and are very affordable at around $30 on average for a 7'' screen.

This is the gentleman using the screen in his own Wii portable build:

His series documenting his work is actually pretty good, I'd recommend giving it a watch if you've got time.
Some of us have seen his work >.> . If you're looking for a 7 inch screen, it'd be better to shell out a little more for an L7009 like this one. They take component video natively, so you get dank 480p without any extra steps.

The Pi screens can be quite good, but they're designed to take instructions from the Pi and usually lack any external screen controls. The one you've linked is a generic 7 inch screen with composite, VGA and HDMI in.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
What's the general opinion on Raspberry Pi screens? I've been considering using a screen like this in my Wii portable build:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-inch-LCD-Screen-Display-Monitor-for-Raspberry-Pi-Driver-Board-HDMI-VGA-2AV/171280831162?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140620091118&meid=0d9fe4cb90d04e0baeaf569ab2e382d1&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=253039777294

I did some digging online and actually found somebody who was using an HDMI Raspberry Pi screen for their portable Wii, it was encouraging, and I wanted to follow his process in my own project, but I thought I'd get the general opinion of the screen first. To me they seem very versatile and are very affordable at around $30 on average for a 7'' screen.

This is the gentleman using the screen in his own Wii portable build:

His series documenting his work is actually pretty good, I'd recommend giving it a watch if you've got time.
*watches video* oh, this guy. While Pi screens aren't bad, getting decent HDMI out of the Wii is much harder. Going for a screen that takes native component video (like what @Stitches recommended) will make it easier in the long run, since you can get the native component output from the Wii rather than trying to fiddle with GCVideo and HDMI.

What are the general tips for connecting the two Bluetooth lines to the traces by the gpu? I’ve been trying for a little bit, but it’s just not working for me. I started A little bit away from the GPU so I could test and move in closer if I burnt or messed up. Sadly I have messed up a bit and am getting pretty close to the gpu. Is there something I am doing super wrong or something I could be doing to help?

I think I’m going down far enough, but the solder won’t stick to the trace, it just jumps onto the iron or balls up and floats around the board.

I am using 34 AWG magnet wire. Thanks for the great help guys!

IMG_0797.JPG

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@link270 Soldering to the BT traces is unfortunately the hardest part of working with a 4 layer board. The key to soldering to those traces is the scraping. You need to very lightly scrape the green solder mask off of the trace. GENTLY. Scrape it extremely lightly, over and over, with a tiny bit more force each time until you see the copper. (I prefer to scrape the same direction each time and use a razor blade.) Take your time, and ensure you are scraping with barely any force. Scrape each trace in a different location so you don't accidentally bridge it.

I would recommend practicing on traces of dead wii boards, since they have traces of the same thickness all over the place.

@link270 Soldering to the BT traces is unfortunately the hardest part of working with a 4 layer board. The key to soldering to those traces is the scraping. You need to very lightly scrape the green solder mask off of the trace. GENTLY. Scrape it extremely lightly, over and over, with a tiny bit more force each time until you see the copper. (I prefer to scrape the same direction each time and use a razor blade.) Take your time, and ensure you are scraping with barely any force. Scrape each trace in a different location so you don't accidentally bridge it.

I would recommend practicing on traces of dead wii boards, since they have traces of the same thickness all over the place.
Thanks for he advice.

About how much of the trace do I need to uncover? I was using a razor blade earlier, and it seemed to be working okay, but maybe I’ll go grab an exacto knife tomorrow and see if I can get a little more precise.

If I end up giving up on BT for this unit I can still use the board without it and only do GC games correct?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
About how much of the trace do I need to uncover?
Just a little tiny bit, and make sure to only uncover one trace. Also, try and offset where you scrape so that even if your solder balls up a bit, it won't short the two lines together. If the solder is just balling up over the trace, try scraping a bit more to make sure it's fully exposed. I use a box cutter just fine to scrape at the traces on my boards, though a tinier blade would probably be better.

If I end up giving up on BT for this unit I can still use the board without it and only do GC games correct?
Yep, just make sure to try and remove any solder shorting the bluetooth lines.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
So if the GC+ only works with Gamecube controllers, how are so many people able to use 3ds sliders for the joysticks?
Pizza magic.

Most joysticks have a similar makeup. Moving the joystick in a certain direction changes the resistance, similar to a potentiometer. Joysticks vary slightly from controller to controller, but the GC+ is programmed to natively work with many joysticks, and has the ability to work with other joysticks as well by calibrating them through the app. 3DS sliders work the same way as a joystick, and because so many people use them the GC+ has been designed to work with them flawlessly.

Is there any reason this shouldn’t be working?

I’ve checked for continuity through all the usb points to the board, i checked to the vías nearest the GPU for the data lines, and power has continuity as well.

The Wii still turns in and goes into potabilizemii, however it doesn’t appear to recognize the flash drive. I plugged in another flash drive I have with an LED and it doesn’t turn on when plugged in either.

What would be best to check from here?

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Is there any reason this shouldn’t be working?

I’ve checked for continuity through all the usb points to the board, i checked to the vías nearest the GPU for the data lines, and power has continuity as well.

The Wii still turns in and goes into potabilizemii, however it doesn’t appear to recognize the flash drive. I plugged in another flash drive I have with an LED and it doesn’t turn on when plugged in either.

What would be best to check from here?

View attachment 3354
View attachment 3355
View attachment 3356
You're going to want to twist the USB data line wires to prevent interference from affecting the signal. Also, you have quite a bit of exposed wire on your solder joints. Maybe clean that up a bit. Looks like that TP49 IC should probably be removed too, looks damaged.

So I've been trying for a while to desolder parts off my Wii. I tried to start with the Gamecube memory card ports, but I can't get it off. I don't want to try prying it off for fear of breaking the board. I've been using desoldering copper braid and I've gotten most of the solder off, but I can't get enough off to manage to get the component off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I know how to use the braid and soldering iron, but maybe there is some technique I'm missing. If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.
20170719_183044.jpg
20170719_183248.jpg

So I've been trying for a while to desolder parts off my Wii. I tried to start with the Gamecube memory card ports, but I can't get it off. I don't want to try prying it off for fear of breaking the board. I've been using desoldering copper braid and I've gotten most of the solder off, but I can't get enough off to manage to get the component off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I know how to use the braid and soldering iron, but maybe there is some technique I'm missing. If you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.View attachment 3391 View attachment 3392
When I was taking the USB off it was being a pain for a while too. I used a solder pump as well as braid, the pump worked great usually. I would put some fresh solder back onto the joint to mix with the old stuff, making it easier to get out. There were a few pins that were really stuck, for that I took a slightly bigger soldering tip, a flat head one, so it could transfer more heat, then I would wiggle the pins around slightly to make sure they were loose and try to get them to stay in middle of the holes. For a few I had to use my tweezers to push/pull them a little while also applying heat to loosen the remaining solder.

Edit: I would also recommend cleaning the board up a little bit, use some rubbing alcohol and an old (clean) toothbrush. That’ll make it easier to see what pins still may be stuck, etc.

What’s special about the charger listed in the BOM? I’ve got one coming in already, as I’ve learned to trust the BOM, but what reason wouldn’t you want to use another power supply that outputs 1A 12V or 2A 18V? (Just using random numbers I’ve seen around) Is it just that the smart charger will stop once the batteries are full? Is there an easy(ish) way to build something inside the portable that would make one of these other chargers stop?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Is there an easy(ish) way to build something inside the portable that would make one of these other chargers stop?
Only if you're Aurelio...

You are correct in thinking that we use the smart charger in order to keep our batteries from overcharging.

Power supplies are different than chargers with a standard protected battery pack. That's another reason why we use the special charger.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What’s special about the charger listed in the BOM? I’ve got one coming in already, as I’ve learned to trust the BOM, but what reason wouldn’t you want to use another power supply that outputs 1A 12V or 2A 18V? (Just using random numbers I’ve seen around) Is it just that the smart charger will stop once the batteries are full? Is there an easy(ish) way to build something inside the portable that would make one of these other chargers stop?
Yes, the smart charger is the only safe way to charge lithium batteries unless you construct your own smart charge and cell balancing circuit. Smart chargers are specifically designed to safely and reliably charge lithium batteries and cut to a trickle when the cells reach maximum safe voltage. DC power supplies are completely different and are designed to constantly output a fixed voltage to a system designed around that fixed input voltage.

Never use anything other than a correctly rated smart charger for your battery packs.

Planning out my first wii portable build, and I'm wondering what gauge wire I should use for various things? I read that for power wires, I should use 22 gauge, and use 28-30 for data lines. Is this true?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Planning out my first wii portable build, and I'm wondering what gauge wire I should use for various things? I read that for power wires, I should use 22 gauge, and use 28-30 for data lines. Is this true?
22 is good for power. Personally I also carry some 26g wire for power for some smaller components (controller ports, audio amp ect). You're going to want to make sure you get stranded wire as opposed to solid core and it might help to get some different colors as well. In addition, definitely get some magnet wire for data lines. Bluetooth relocation and wiring to vias becomes a breeze. There's a good 34g magnet wire in the BOM.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
Is there any benefit to using the Sdcard along with the usb drive?
like is there any homebrew/official games or app that uses it?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
There are various homebrew softwares that require an SD card, but the ones I've seen are unimportant. I think there was a MKW mod that needed an SD card, and a couple of other random things, but nothing really useful. So yes, but not really.

Status
Not open for further replies.