Ashida Wii Portable

All of the parts for this build that are from Digikey are available except for the fan, part number: 1053-1684-ND. I was wondering if there is a different one that I could get for the build. I was also wondering what led to get for this build since it's not listed in the BOM.

Last edited:
All of the parts for this build that are from Digikey are available except for the fan, part number: 1053-1684-ND. I was wondering if there is a different one that I could get for the build. I was also wondering what led to get for this build since it's not listed in the BOM.
[EDIT] Found these on Amazon:
4 Piece 3510 5V 2pin 35x35x10mm DC Cooling Fan 35mm brushless C9 https://a.co/d/axgQv1k

As for a fan that has a part number idk, but any fan with the same measurements/dimensions should work as long as it runs off 5VDC. As for the LED, you'll get it when you order the PMS2 or PMS Lite.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
[EDIT] Found these on Amazon:
4 Piece 3510 5V 2pin 35x35x10mm DC Cooling Fan 35mm brushless C9 https://a.co/d/axgQv1k

As for a fan that has a part number idk, but any fan with the same measurements/dimensions should work as long as it runs off 5VDC. As for the LED, you'll get it when you order the PMS2 or PMS Lite.
Yeah any 5v axial fan that has the same external dimensions as the one listed in the Ashida BOM will do. It just needs to fit in the hole and move air. The same goes for the heatsinks, the volume wheel, and all the other generic parts if Digikey has run out of them.

When I was cutting the Wii a dremel it slipped a few times on to the part of the Wii that I needed. I think that I missed all of the important stuff but just want a second opinion.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Remove the components along the edge that got hit and you should be fine. Nothing that you hit does anything when the Wii is trimmed

What tools and supplies would I need to build an ashida other than a screwdriver and soldering iron?

What tools and supplies would I need to build an ashida other than a screwdriver and soldering iron?
The Ashida BOM is the general parts. You'll also need a selection of wire in varying sizes, some wire cutters/strippers, probably some tweezers, and definitely flux. Would recommend a helping hands tool as well, doesn't have to be crazy, but its nice to have.

Wire sizes:
22AWG- Heavy current lines (very required)
24AWG- Medium current lines (Not required but makes some wiring easier)

28AWG- Same as 24AWG
30AWG- Best used for speaker stuff, not required, but nice to have.

34AWG Magnet wire- Border between "fits in Wii
via and too fucking small to use" (so basically a requirement)

Best of luck and I'm sure other people will have some good stuff to add too.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Surprise update: An updated back shell designed to fit the 40mm Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX fan. A small hole was also added next to the USB port so that the button on the USB-C board can function as a reset switch (for accessing Priiloader).

1696909550191.png
1696909571213.png

New file can be found found attached here and to OP.

Attachments

Surprise update: An updated back shell designed to fit the 40mm Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX fan. A small hole was also added next to the USB port so that the button on the USB-C board can function as a reset switch (for accessing Priiloader).

View attachment 30189View attachment 30190

New file can be found found attached here and to OP.
Now all we need is an updated front shell for screen controls and it would be the absolute pinnacle of a portable shell.

Or if @CrazyGadget coordinated with 4layertech to provide mass supply of his screen controller boards. Then the front shell could just be updated to support the controller board.

Either way, this update is AWESOME

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Now all we need is an updated front shell for screen controls and it would be the absolute pinnacle of a portable shell.

Or if @CrazyGadget coordinated with 4layertech to provide mass supply of his screen controller boards. Then the front shell could just be updated to support the controller board.

Either way, this update is AWESOME
Direct Drive will be back soon™, so the button boards aren't needed.

Edit: My cart is just under $200 without lcd/Direct Drive Board and without the custom case. Is that sound about right?

Thanks all!

Last edited: