Question TI Reg outputting 0.767 volts

So I'm wiring my 1v reg, and I have it hooked up to a barrel jack with a 12V 0.5A input. It keeps outputting 0.767 volts, which I thought is close to 1v, so I lowered the resistance by about 10k ohm and its still reading 0.767. I had this happen on another regulator but then it just stopped, and started outputting the correct voltage. Any ideas?

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Although your connections may look right that looks pretty messy. You need to trim the legs of your capacitors and resistors. Verify the resistance of your series connection with a multimeter too. Also make sure (if you had the PTH which had legs presoldered in and you removed them) that you didn't accidently knock off any small components when you removed them on either the top or bottom of the board.

Although your connections may look right that looks pretty messy. You need to trim the legs of your capacitors and resistors. Verify the resistance of your series connection with a multimeter too. Also make sure (if you had the PTH which had legs presoldered in and you removed them) that you didn't accidently knock off any small components when you removed them on either the top or bottom of the board.
Should I remove the legs? They're surface mounted all weirdly so I thought they might be a heatsink or something.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Should I remove the legs? They're surface mounted all weirdly so I thought they might be a heatsink or something.
The legs are through hole, you can remove them by applying heat and pulling them out. Although it requires quite a bit of heat to remove them (especially the center ground pin, I use 400C). I would remove them, but you don't have to. You just lose access to putting things in the through hole if you don't. I would definitely trim them if you aren't going to remove them. The more exposed metal you have from legs of your components, the more room they will take up and the more opportunities you have to short something.