Worklog The GS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Everyone else has started a worklog but me, I guess it's time to show my cards. name is subject to change.

I don't have much physical progress done yet. I've been working on the solidworks models since April and the custom pcbs the last few weeks. The design has been highly optimized for 3D printing so it only needs to print with a few supports. I may make a few more edits internally, but the model is pretty close to a functional piece.

This portable would not be possible without my PS2 trimming initiative that started back in January. My recent learning of pcb design will play a large role in the assembly.

The front face:
PSP action buttons, PS Vita dpad, and mini joysticks (none of that slider stuff going on). A 5" 4:3 screen with stereo speakers.
Face.png

The top:
Custom R1/R2 and L1/L2. Micro usb for convenient charging (there will be another way of charging for max charging current). Tact switch for on/off.
Top.png

The bottom:
Screen controls, USB-C, headphone jack, volume +/-.
Bottom.png

The back:
Removable battery covers for some thinness magic and swapping 18650s. The main portable body should be a hair under an inch (subject to change less or more depending on how part placement tests go). The jewel piece on the back is an idea I'm playing with, I may make some changes or just get rid of it, if it doesn't come out well.
Back.png

The side brackets:
The portable prints in 6 parts. This was tricky because all the extrusions on the top/bottom brackets need to be connected together.
Top_bracket.png
Bottom_bracket.png

The battery covers:
There is a "lip" on one end which slides into the portable, the other end is tightened into a trapped nut inside the case. These covers are in the ideal placement for nice feeling grips when holding the portable.
Battery_cover.png

There's a lot going on in the inner workings of the portable which I will be testing soon. I haven't decided on a color yet, I was thinking either a metallic red, or black, or something else. For time management: I give myself another month for design changes/testing, and the last few weeks for making the case nice and assembling it. There's a lot of work still to be done but I should be able to finish in time hopefully.

Oh ma god. My doode, I can tell that's gunna look sexy, but why not a psp?

Last edited:
What are the tolerances you've set for the extrusions on the top/bottom brackets that will be connected together? With 3D printing I never know what will provide a tight fit without sanding too many printing defects.

Also, how are you going to print the battery covers? with the lip and such, seems like a challenge unless you have a printer that can handle 2 filaments. (Or I'm totally wrong maybe idk)

Looks amazing and well thought out.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
What are the tolerances you've set for the extrusions on the top/bottom brackets that will be connected together? With 3D printing I never know what will provide a tight fit without sanding too many printing defects.

Also, how are you going to print the battery covers? with the lip and such, seems like a challenge unless you have a printer that can handle 2 filaments. (Or I'm totally wrong maybe idk)

Looks amazing and well thought out.
My printer is calibrated well and very accurate, I haven't had a problem with fitting parts. The brackets and top parts are pretty easy to line up and super glue together. I've done a few test prints along the way.

The battery cover is the least printable part here. So far, I've been printing it lip down which requires supports for the rest of the model but it seems to work well. The final print of the case will be printed at 100 microns so the extrusions come out well and there is less sanding to do.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I soldered just the voltage regulators on my reg/charging board. I was pleasantly surprised that my schematic/maths were correct and it even powered the PS2 first try! Sadly I am still a beginner at pcb design and my layout sucks so I will have to entirely redo the board taking more attention to power/thermal characteristics. I am realizing how much more work I need to do to have this portable finished to my original goals but this is progress still.

The rev1 reg board drew about 1.6A ~5.5watts. That's ~85% efficient, it will only get better from there for rev2.
20170606_211120.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Making loads of progress. Reg board rev2 sent off for fabrication. Controller boards very close to being done, waiting on a part in the mail to verify component footprints. Printed out the GS2 at low resolution (.3mm) and 15% infill to get a feel for it. Holding models in your hands makes improvements way more obvious.The case is getting very close, I should start building the final version in 2-3 weeks to stay on track.

I came across a slight issue with the joysticks. Original plan was to use mini joysticks with switch from digikey. I just got them in last week. They are great, only problem is that the joystick axis is slightly shorter than the ones that the joystick cap is designed for. They will not work. New plan: Use joysticks that came with controller. No switches? No problem. R3/L3 will be next to the shoulder buttons. I don't think it is known, but Ashen did the same thing on his PS2P even though he used full sized joysticks, I don't know why. R3/L3 aren't often used in gameplay, it won't bother me.
20170615_183421.jpg

Why is there a trimmed Wii motherboard on your desk?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Found it
View attachment 2964

Also, Can't you power 7.5V to 5V into the USB C? Instead of having Micro usb, and USB C?
USB-C was meant for a custom accessory adapter. But I have decided it won't be enough pins and I am using a different connector now. Micro USB is so I can charge it with any random phone charger and not have to have the adapter with me.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
My 5" screen with driver board. The speakers friction fit into those rectangles.
20170617_184533.jpg

The shoulder buttons can be slid in the case and then a small tact switch inserted behind it. The screw post acts as a fixed point hinge. It works wonderfully.
20170617_184801.jpg

I love how the shoulder buttons look on the outside. 10/10 best shoulder buttons I have ever implemented into a portable.
20170617_185010.jpg

A battery clip slides into the 18650 holder.
20170617_185233.jpg

Low profile tact switches. The chamfer lets you get in there and press the switch without it sticking obnoxiously out of the case.
20170617_185618.jpg

Amazing man! Do the dual tact mod jk. Are you going to paint it?

Status
Not open for further replies.