Guide The definitive Wii trimming guide is live!

That doesnt seem to fix it has no one else had the problem of a Wii remote connecting but a black screen I installed portablize mii before trimming and there are no shorts even with composite no sound will come out either

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Have you sanded the edges of the board with a very fine grit? Some data lines might be shorted. Also check if you have done correctly the U10 relocation

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Follow the trace starting from the GPU pin to which you have soldered the wire coming from the U10, scratch it a bit somewhere (actually you have already done it accidentally) and check continuity between the trace and the U10 pin

This might be a stupid question to you, but just to make it clear... I only need three voltages (1.0v, 1.15v and 3.3v) for the Wii to run gamecube games? For the sound I would have to use my own amp in order to avoid the 12V source?

Btw: Awesome work from you guys. Really. I was following most of you for years now and you always keep surprising me :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
This might be a stupid question to you, but just to make it clear... I only need three voltages (1.0v, 1.15v and 3.3v) for the Wii to run gamecube games? For the sound I would have to use my own amp in order to avoid the 12V source?

Btw: Awesome work from you guys. Really. I was following most of you for years now and you always keep surprising me :)
You need 5V as well for the usb drive and a fan. The 12V is used by the preamp, but you don't need that, you can wire the audio out from the AVE chip straight to your audio amp

Thank you for the quick answer. I ordered a Wii yesterday and will hopefully start a new project :)
(is there any guide for the "further beyond trim" shockslayer made? Or am I just blind o.O?)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thank you for the quick answer. I ordered a Wii yesterday and will hopefully start a new project :)
(is there any guide for the "further beyond trim" shockslayer made? Or am I just blind o.O?)
There's not. It's not an easy trim and it needs additional custom boards to make it feasible. For most portables the OMGWTF is small enough

Good evening guys,

I got one more question:
The capacitors on the right side of the trimmed board (first picture of the first post) are there for a reason I bet. But can I remove them when I solder Video and Audio directly to the chip?
And do I need the upmost capacitor anyways? (IIZ 220 10v)

Greetings

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Good evening guys,

I got one more question:
The capacitors on the right side of the trimmed board (first picture of the first post) are there for a reason I bet. But can I remove them when I solder Video and Audio directly to the chip?
And do I need the upmost capacitor anyways? (IIZ 220 10v)

Greetings
The 5 smaller ones in a line on the right are for composite, RGB and 12v sense (which we don't use). They aren't necessary and can be desoldered, but they help the picture quality. As for the loner in the top corner, the trimming guide's line goes through it. It's for the 5v line, so unless you're going to wire 5v to the board and then to the USB (rather than just powering it directly) you don't need that capacitor.

Refer to this handy dandy image from the Definitive Wii Trimming Guide:

I was going to use a Wii2HDMI converter... (Away from the general question to use this one) would you say it makes a difference if I keep the four ISN 220 6V?
Also I was planning to wire the 5v directly to the USB port and the rumble. I will remove the IIZ 220 10v then.
Thank you for your reply.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was going to use a Wii2HDMI converter... (Away from the general question to use this one) would you say it makes a difference if I keep the four ISN 220 6V?
Also I was planning to wire the 5v directly to the USB port and the rumble. I will remove the IIZ 220 10v then.
Yeah I'd leave those caps intact if you're doing that, but have you checked what voltage those HDMI adapters use?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
No ._.'
I was sure 5v...
Other people have used them in portables before, so I'd say some do. You'll have to open yours and check the pins (maybe with a multimeter) to see what it uses.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You do know that an adaptor like that will NOT increase the quality of the video, right? I've used one before, and the quality was unchanged. It's fine if you just want to use an HDMI port because your composite line is nonexistent/ in use, but my experiences with those adapters haven't been great.

You do know that an adaptor like that will NOT increase the quality of the video, right? I've used one before, and the quality was unchanged. It's fine if you just want to use an HDMI port because your composite line is nonexistent/ in use, but my experiences with those adapters haven't been great.
Yes, I know that. But I tried it and it works for me. The only bad thing is the ratio... It is not 16:9 and not 4:3 either. Something in between these two >.<

Btw: What is BBVideo? o.O

GC64

Portables
Yes, I know that. But I tried it and it works for me. The only bad thing is the ratio... It is not 16:9 and not 4:3 either. Something in between these two >.<

It's pretty much a wii exclusive version of GCVideo with some upgrades (like a smaller footprint), and unlike Wii2HDMI, there's actually a noticable difference in quality. :P

Shank

Staff member
Portables
BB video is a redesign of the GC video for use in Wii portablizing.

An explanation of what GC video is: Using an FPGA, it grabs the raw digital video signal from the GPU before it gets to the video encoder, and acts as a replacement for the video encoder. It outputs higher quality video, and can output formats such as VGA and HDMI that the Wii can't without the need for conversion. In other words, it's a way to get damn good video quality in your portable.