Worklog PS2 Trimming Initiative

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Are you planning to do the same thing with the rest of the RGB lines as you did with the pull up resistors? Because you've cut off most of the vias
Yeah unfortunately I have like 16 wires to solder to the traces for video. And I haven't even touched rewiring peripherals. The ps2 traces are much more difficult to solder to than the Wii in my opinion. Just those two traces for the pullup resisters took me a while. I have ordered some 38gauge magnet wire in hopes that it will make it easier.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Why not just make PS2 clone board and relocate all the components? Or is that a step too far?
Since the cpu and GPU (I think that's what those are) are bga chips, they are extremely difficult to remove and resolder correctly (similar to the wii). However it appears most of the needed components could all be housed on one board that is connected to the trimmed motherboard, to make wiring and layout simpler

Props either way, this is great for portablizing since it opens the door for the Sony crowd to be like the Wii kids :P

@Gman
Good call, the Undiluted Platinum used some pretty freakishly thin wire as well

@cheese you can actually reball yourself, or have BGA chips reballed professionally, I've even found a preform for the CXD2976GB, and I'm going to be doing one of the two for the CXD9731GP chips I take from network adapters

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
@cheese you can actually reball yourself, or have BGA chips reballed professionally, I've even found a preform for the CXD2976GB, and I'm going to be doing one of the two for the CXD9731GP chips I take from network adapters
lmao just because it's possible doesn't make it easy... Taking a dremel to a board is much easier and cheaper than desoldering the chips, reballing, and reworking the chips onto a new board. Much like the wii board redesign that someone is probably working on, it's going nowhere fast.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
lmao just because it's possible doesn't make it easy... Taking a dremel to a board is much easier and cheaper than desoldering the chips, reballing, and reworking the chips onto a new board. Much like the wii board redesign that someone is probably working on, it's going nowhere fast.
Well... :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I got a current clamp so I could finish up my research. Here are my notes:

Input: 8.72V .7A 6.1W --76% efficiency with my PTH08080 setup..

Regs:
2.55V .1A .255W
1.25V 3.1A 3.875W
3.4V 0-.1A .34W
1.8V 0-.1A .18W
Total :4.65W

take that Wii lovers!!

How viable would you feel this VGA circuit is for people wanting to use their PS2 as a console connected to their TV?

I ask because the PS2 has horrible YPbPr, but incredible RGB, so a progressive RGB option would be awesome.

How viable would you feel this VGA circuit is for people wanting to use their PS2 as a console connected to their TV?

I ask because the PS2 has horrible YPbPr, but incredible RGB, so a progressive RGB option would be awesome.
it's literally already there on PS2 I thought? Like, the only reason Gman did what he did is because he cut the chip off.... Pretty sure, might be wrong though.

it's literally already there on PS2 I thought? Like, the only reason Gman did what he did is because he cut the chip off.... Pretty sure, might be wrong though.
an unmodified PS2 can output interlaced RGB but not progressive RGBHV.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It may be possible to output a progressive signal through homebrew using the GSM app although I did not have success yet in my small testing I did with that a while ago.

It may be possible to output a progressive signal through homebrew using the GSM app although I did not have success yet in my small testing I did with that a while ago.
oh so is the PS2 VGA board outputting interlaced?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Correct. I am using the H/V sync from the CPU which is 15kHz. Some games can be forced progressive I believe and there is possibility for success through homebrew.

Correct. I am using the H/V sync from the CPU which is 15kHz. Some games can be forced progressive I believe and there is possibility for success through homebrew.
question about interlaced video, could someone buy or build your 15 khz board and then buy or build an interlaced-to-progressive adaptor to get better video signal for a regular ps2?

a converter like this maybe?
http://www.ambery.com/rgbcgatovgac.html

That converter just converts component to VGA, for which there are many similar devices. Gman's video DAC takes digital RGB and converts it into VGA, the interlace vs progressive part is accomplished at a GPU level (graphic synthesiser), which is why he talked about homebrew

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That converter just converts component to VGA, for which there are many similar devices. Gman's video DAC takes digital RGB and converts it into VGA, the interlace vs progressive part is accomplished at a GPU level (graphic synthesiser), which is why he talked about homebrew
That device can also deinterlace 15kHz RGB signal and it can definitely be used with this, but it's not ideal and it's quite bulky.