Worklog Portable PS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This is a commission I've been working on for a while. Starting this worklog to motivate me to finish it quicker!

Here is a test print. I've made some edits and am printing the final one now. I'll be doing this one up in body filler and paint, it should look nice. As far as the internals, it's a pretty standard PS2p. 5amp lithium ion batteries, 5" screen VGA, Free mcboot.

20161230_170425_zps0zlirfpa.JPG
20161230_170412_zpszpbgaygq.JPG

Last edited:
Portables
3/4
Nice, looking good there Gman!! I really like the layout and how professional it looks. Can't wait to see some more pics!! :)

I've really got to get a 3D printer... makes casework look so much better and easier. Of course there is also a learning curve for the 3D software. Thus why I have two ZN-45 cases sitting here, one for my PS2 portable project and the other for my N64 portable project.

If you don't mind me asking, what 3D printer/software do you use and how hard is it to learn to design in the software?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
If you don't mind me asking, what 3D printer/software do you use and how hard is it to learn to design in the software?
I use solid works for CAD. Most high schools or universities offer it or another similar CAD program. I don't think it is very hard to learn if you put in the time.

Here's the case after round 1 of bondo and some primer. There are a few spots I missed but overall it is pretty smooth.
20170102_101951_zpsvmxagiiv.JPG

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Great work, as always! Can't wait to see more.

Alvaro

Portables
I see your on a commission, how much do you charge for one and could you sell me one of those cases if you don't commission and tell me what screen and controller your using. Thanks!

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I see your on a commission, how much do you charge for one and could you sell me one of those cases if you don't commission and tell me what screen and controller your using. Thanks!
The case is not for sale at this time. The screen is a 5" vga screen i got on ebay. The controller im going to use is one of those cheap 3rd party controllers. They have copper contacts to solder to and don't require installing a bunch of resistors like the 1st party controllers so in a way, they are better for portables.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Do you have the screwholes in your standoffs slightly smaller than the actual screw? Or do you just use the overshoot of the printer as your excess material?

Alvaro

Portables
Ok thanks gman I would love if you made a detailed guide for your ps2p because you never finished the YouTube videos. Also could you give me links to the parts you got

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Do you have the screwholes in your standoffs slightly smaller than the actual screw? Or do you just use the overshoot of the printer as your excess material?
I use M2 screws and all the screw holes are 1.5mm diameter which is a perfect fit. I usually don't have to pre drill any of them either, it just fits nice and tight.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It's been a while..

Switched to a 5" 4:3 screen because it works with 15kHz VGA. The case is a little smaller in each direction. Sanded the 3D printed case for 3 days straight and this is the first coat of semi-gloss black.
20170501_200634.jpg

20170501_200536.jpg

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I've always wondered how to 3d print button holes without the buttons being able to turn in their sockets. Printing the pattern around the hole like on a regular controller is the obvious (but difficult) solution. I see that you don't have those though. How are you approaching this? O.o

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've always wondered how to 3d print button holes without the buttons being able to turn in their sockets. Printing the pattern around the hole like on a regular controller is the obvious (but difficult) solution. I see that you don't have those though. How are you approaching this? O.o
It's much simpler than that. I just 3d print a thin circle piece that is glued underneath the slimmed down buttons which keeps them from falling out of the case. Than I just align them in the proper direction and super glue the button to the squishy tact. I guess I could model a spin lock for the buttons but that is how I've always done it.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
It's much simpler than that. I just 3d print a thin circle piece that is glued underneath the slimmed down buttons which keeps them from falling out of the case. Than I just align them in the proper direction and super glue the button to the squishy tact. I guess I could model a spin lock for the buttons but that is how I've always done it.
Huh. That's both easier and simpler than I was thinking. Good idea! Maybe I'll try something similar in the future. I tried to make a spin lock for gamecube buttons once and it was awful xD I hadn't considered modifying the buttons slightly

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I put a thick clear coat on the case, going to wait atleast a week for it to cure before assembling it. In the mean time, I have put together the battery pack and trimmed the board. I kept the stock regulators on the trim. I haven't tested it yet but I'm pretty sure it should work.
20170505_130002.jpg
20170505_125939.jpg
20170505_114250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.