Model Double Tact Mod Brackets and USB Faceplate Models

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I made some brackets to hold two tact switches together for double tact modding L and R buttons. There are two versions so far: the regular bracket, and the same thing only with a flat base on one side for mounting. Both are included in the .zip, as well as the STLs. This way you don't have to worry about them coming apart. It is still recommended that you glue them together so they can't wiggle at all.

The whole thing measures 13mm cubed, including the protruding squishy tact. The measurements of the tact switches I used are:
squishy tact: can be found in the portablizing BOM
hard tact: 6 x 6 x 5mm

Feel free to use these as you want. If you make a better version, please consider posting it here.
20170315_132147.jpg 20170315_132129.jpg 20170315_132159.jpg

If anybody wants some but doesn't have access to a printer, I'd be happy to print some out for you for the price of shipping and plastic (probably ~$5ish). I'm not selling them for profit unless you want a bunch for some reason, and then I'd charge a bit extra for time. (And irritation for having to listen to the printer for hours lol).

I'll keep this post up to date because I will likely be making many more different revisions as I try to make just the right ones for my specific portable.

EDIT 3/29/17:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
I made a quick print for a faceplate for the USB assembly found in Wii consoles. Normally I would just use the faceplate from the Wii shell and frankencase it in. Unfortunately, the Wii shell allows the USB to fall right through. It holds the USB ports in place and won't allow them to fall through. The faceplate measures 2cm x 2cm.

EDIT 4/26/17:
20170415_213823.jpg 20170415_213830.jpg 20170415_213735.jpg
I made the final tact holders that I will be using, and have uploaded them here. However, there are a lot of revisions in between the original and these ones, so please feel free to ask if you want one a little bit different. The third button is meant to be a squishy tact.

Attachments

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Neat. These look like they are tiny, simple, and easy to integrate into a portable. I probably won't use these, but these could be very useful for beginners trying to design shoulder buttons.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
How difficult would it be to modify this for a longer tact switch? For example I have the same mushy tact switch but the tact switch for the digital press that I have is 6x6x9.5
These numbers don't include the actual button on top, just the square part.
Super easy. Sketchup is about as easy as it gets for geometric shapes. Although either you have the weirdest shaped squishy tact, or you are including the legs and button in that measurement. :P I measured mine ignoring the legs and actual button, because only the square matters.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Super easy. Sketchup is about as easy as it gets for geometric shapes. Although either you have the weirdest shaped squishy tact, or you are including the legs and button in that measurement. :P I measured mine ignoring the legs and actual button, because only the square matters.
I have the orange tacts from the BOM for the squishy ones. They definitely aren't the standard 6mm. I have no experience 3d modelling but I'd definitely like to use these if I can edit them and find somewhere to print them haha.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I have the orange tacts from the BOM for the squishy ones. They definitely aren't the standard 6mm. I have no experience 3d modelling but I'd definitely like to use these if I can edit them and find somewhere to print them haha.
Those orange ones are the exact ones this is made for. Sorry about that, I should've specified.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
So I should just have to extend the part for the bottom tact, should be fairly straightforward right?
Only if yours are a different size or length than mine. Either way though sketchup is easy to do that stuff on. Maybe 1 minute of work if you know the basics and have the dimensions you need?