Question Does anyone have experience making custom sensor bars? (for very close range)

I know the sensor bar is just a dumb emitter and the camera and all the tracking stuff happens in the wiimote. But my sensor bar doesn't work when I'm sitting at my desk.

Basically do you think I can get a sensor bar working from around 0.5 to 2 feet away using IR lights placed closer together than a conventional sensor bar? Thanks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You could, you'll just need some 940nm IR LEDs. You could also try going into the Wii system settings and adjusting the IR camera sensitivity.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Yep you can. My wii portable has the leds maybe 4 inches apart and the wii remote works at that distance easily. You can get some new leds for dirt cheap. Just be aware that if you're hooking up leds to a new power source, you'll need a resistor :)

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I know the sensor bar is just a dumb emitter and the camera and all the tracking stuff happens in the wiimote. But my sensor bar doesn't work when I'm sitting at my desk.

Basically do you think I can get a sensor bar working from around 0.5 to 2 feet away using IR lights placed closer together than a conventional sensor bar? Thanks!
If you don't want to make your own, I bought one from Amazon that was an aftermarket sensor bar and instead of the LEDs being mounted on a fixed board, they were connected via flexible wires, so I just moved the lights closer together so I could use the Wiimote at a closer range.

Here's the sensor bar I used: JINHEZO Wired Infrared Ray Sensor Bar https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BKMGEU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-bgcBb700N196. I don't know if all of the sensor bars they sell are like that, but the one I got was.

ruumoo

Yep you can. My wii portable has the leds maybe 4 inches apart and the wii remote works at that distance easily. You can get some new leds for dirt cheap. Just be aware that if you're hooking up leds to a new power source, you'll need a resistor :)
do you just power the leds of of a constant voltage source (not hooked up to the wiis sensor bar pins)? I'm planning on doing the same, but I don't know if the sensor bar needs a special signal from the wii

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
do you just power the leds of of a constant voltage source (not hooked up to the wiis sensor bar pins)? I'm planning on doing the same, but I don't know if the sensor bar needs a special signal from the wii
No special signal, just turn the LEDs on

It only needs 5V,That's it

Shank

Staff member
Portables
It only needs 5V,That's it
This is misleading.
The sensor bar is powered by a 12v pwm signal. If you are referring to "powering a sensor bar off USB" only later versions with less LEDs can do that.

The sensor bar doesn't send any data, it's just a bunch of LEDs the Wii remote sees. You can use any IR LEDs you want, with any voltage you want as long as you have the right resistor. You can even use two candles if you want.

ruumoo

This is misleading.
The sensor bar is powered by a 12v pwm signal. If you are referring to "powering a sensor bar off USB" only later versions with less LEDs can do that.

The sensor bar doesn't send any data, it's just a bunch of LEDs the Wii remote sees. You can use any IR LEDs you want, with any voltage you want as long as you have the right resistor. You can even use two candles if you want.
Yeah, got it, but thanks. Two candle holders instead of a sensor bar sounds like a pretty neat idea. Saves power, when you are not using it

This is misleading.

Apologize for my negligence,Yesterday I measured the voltage is 5v,just now I measured it again,The voltage is not fixed,I‘m wrong:(
Sorry

ruumoo

Apologize for my negligence,Yesterday I measured the voltage is 5v,just now I measured it again,The voltage is not fixed,I‘m wrong:(
Sorry
No problem, I'm gonna use different leds anyway and I'm running them of 12V with a dropper resistor

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
No problem, I'm gonna use different leds anyway and I'm running them of 12V with a dropper resistor
There is no need to use 12V, you would only be wasting power. Also why do you even have 12V in a portable?

ruumoo

There is no need to use 12V, you would only be wasting power. Also why do you even have 12V in a portable?
To power the screen, for now, but as soon as it arrives and I can test the voltages, I will switch to a 2s battery configuration

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
To power the screen, for now, but as soon as it arrives and I can test the voltages, I will switch to a 2s battery configuration
All the screens I have seen can be powered with 5V (or lower in some case) with the right modifications.

All the screens I have seen can be powered with 5V (or lower in some case) with the right modifications.
I have a question about the power button(Maybe because I'm a new member here,so I can't create a new post). In the trim guide I didn't find the wii's power button relocation,only reset button.when we(trimmed Wii)want to power off the system,just cutoff the power?(once I cutoff the power supply without press the power button to turn the led red,then the Bluetooth module dead)sorry for my poor Chinese English:D

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have a question about the power button(Maybe because I'm a new member here,so I can't create a new post). In the trim guide I didn't find the wii's power button relocation,only reset button.when we(trimmed Wii)want to power off the system,just cutoff the power?(once I cutoff the power supply without press the power button to turn the led red,then the Bluetooth module dead)sorry for my poor Chinese English:D
Yes, what we all do is just cut off power. What do you mean about your Bluetooth module being dead?

Yes, what we all do is just cut off power. What do you mean about your Bluetooth module being dead?
Because of an unexpected power off ,my Wii can't be turned on with a black screen,then I went to the forum(chinese) for help,finally I bought and replaced the Bluetooth module,my Wii works again

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Because of an unexpected power off ,my Wii can't be turned on with a black screen,then I went to the forum(chinese) for help,finally I bought and replaced the Bluetooth module,my Wii works again
Cutting power to the system shouldn't damage the Bluetooth module.