Closest Board Trim?

Nick

what is the closest trim you can do to the board without having to relocate anything? I've seen the trim guide, but there has to be some points that you can trim in a little on those pictures?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The U10 is very close to the edge where the front buttons are, same for the Bluetooth module connector. Basically relocate the two of them or don't trim at all

Nick

I more was asking how much further can I cut in from here without having to relocate anything else besides bluetooth and u10. Sorry I didn't specify that very well. :P
Is there any points I can cut in a little even if its a goofy shape?

Last edited:

JacksonS

Portables
You can take off the electrolytic capacitor at the top right and make that whole right edge flush. You can probably cut a little more on the top edge, but eventually you'll cut into the NAND data lines and that would need to be rewired.

Nick

unfortunately I may already have, all the pins are still attached, I don't know if that matters or not? Do you think I need to relocate them?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
20160814_174644.jpg

Probably not the smallest but...

This ugly bastard of a cut actually worked perfectly after I cleaned it up and connected the proper wires. The only extra wire I had to run was a 3.3v line to the U10. I also relocated the 1.8v LDO so it will fit in my weird case, but it's not needed, or even recommended to relocate it.

Not sure too much else you can do without some insane relocations like NAND or AVE, or more tiny trace scratching.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You cut off a capacitor which has power and ground on that side of the chip. Also, thanks JacksonS, you made me realize what I did on my portable :blush:
14712925165091792047205.jpg

Nick

You cut off a capacitor which has power and ground on that side of the chip.
View attachment 703
If I replace that capacitor and wire it which pins does it go to? Is that the only thing stopping this trim from working is the missing capacitor?

View attachment 702
Probably not the smallest but...

This ugly bastard of a cut actually worked perfectly after I cleaned it up and connected the proper wires.
That is one weird cut but if it works that's all that matters right, whats the underside of your board look like?

Last edited:

Nick

Correct me if I'm wrong but those two pins are 3.3v and ground? If so I could connect those to these spots on the board right? or throw another capacitor inbetween them and it should be fine?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
They are 3.3v and GND, but you should connect the capacitor near the two NAND pins

Nick

That would be some shit... its connected to the middle most pins, 12 and 13 is that wrong?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
okay why do these keep popping up in general discussion instead of the wii forum.

GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER

Nick

How much of the red area is actually needed and how much can I cut off? and are the capacitors in yellow needed or can I remove them completely?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If you want to understand what you can do with trimming, you need to acquaint yourself with all of the the major components and the compendium. From there, you can determine what additional wiring trade-offs you want to tackle, and what notches you can cut into it to fit your needs.

We decided on the OMGWTF because of its relative shape simplicity and small size. There are no inward facing cuts, so it's a lot easier to reliably sand to rule out cross-layer board shorting.

Most everything we left on is there for a reason. The only trim currently confirmed to be working properly past the OMGWTF trim is the LMAO trim, and even then, it needed the preamp and some video junk reconnected to it in order for the output signals to be acceptable.
So in reality everything past OMGWTF is still a work-in-progress.

Anyways, don't cut it smaller just because you can; there's a lot of value in keeping as much intact if you don't need to cut it.

Nick

I just recently downloaded the compendium and am working on familiarizing myself with it.

but I would like to trim abit off of the bottom and was just wondering if the wii could do without a few of those tiny components towards the bottom of the red or if they are needed? Ideally I'd like to trim up next to the 1.15 getting rid of the solder pads below it. Then go all the way straight across from there which would cut across some of those components? I need my board just a little smaller to fit in my case. So cutting the top just shy of the NAND data lines and the bottom would be perfect if this is possible?