Question Bluetooth & PortablizeMii

Heyo,
I was wonder what the deal is with Bluetooth relocation, as I would like to play Wii games on my first portable.
But the Bluetooth relocation seems redundant if you could hypothetically insert a USB Bluetooth adapter and connect a Wii remote? Same goes for wifi...

The only reason I don't see this working would be software incompatibility/limitations with PortablizeMii not registering the adapter, or the Wii hardware only receiving Bluetooth data from its own dedicated Bluetooth receiver.

I guess with all the ridiculously smart people on this forum there would've been some solution if this is solvable, so I'm mainly looking for an explanation I guess?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked around the forums and didn't find anything :P
Thanks!

As of now, you need to relocate the Bluetooth module as instructed in the trimming guide to play Wii games. I believe PortablizeMii v2 will allow for Wii games to be played without a Bluetooth module but it might be a while until it's released.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Having the bluetooth module connected has very little to do with connecting Wiimotes, The module is currently a requirement to even boot Wii games. This is a software limitation with Portablize Mii.

@Aurelio is currently working on Hydra, a Portablize Mii replacement which won't require a Bluetooth module at all.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Heyo,
I was wonder what the deal is with Bluetooth relocation, as I would like to play Wii games on my first portable.
But the Bluetooth relocation seems redundant if you could hypothetically insert a USB Bluetooth adapter and connect a Wii remote? Same goes for wifi...

The only reason I don't see this working would be software incompatibility/limitations with PortablizeMii not registering the adapter, or the Wii hardware only receiving Bluetooth data from its own dedicated Bluetooth receiver.

I guess with all the ridiculously smart people on this forum there would've been some solution if this is solvable, so I'm mainly looking for an explanation I guess?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I looked around the forums and didn't find anything :P
Thanks!
You can't use a USB dongle to replace the BT module for the same reason you can't remove the RAM from your computer and expect a swap space partition to fill its shoes, the system simply wasn't designed to work that way. The Wii's operating system has a list of expected hardware that it requires for basic operation: Wifi module, BT module, and the disk drive mainly. A stock Wii sends calls to this expected hardware during normal operation through specific data traces and expects a response through the same traces, if there's no response or the wrong response, the Wii assumes something is broken, errors out, and stuff doesn't work. So far the wifi and disk drive calls have been either patched out or worked around through emulation, but Aurelio is still working on a stable solution for not needing the BT module itself. It will come eventually, but we're stuck with wiring the module in for now.

Not a bad question to ask btw, but if such a simple solution was doable we'd be doing it already.