a noob looking for some help

Miles

Portables
Sup guys, I can already tell that this is probably not the best decision to make my own thread on this and there might be an answer elsewhere and what not, but I was having trouble with my display. I am using a 3.5 inch screen that has an HDMI input so I decided to use a wii to HDMI converter in my set up. Instead of relocating the display I decided to just keep the part of the motherboard that has the display pins on a part of the final trim, because I figured that would be easier. I've used a few resources along with the trimming guide to ensure that I am wiring the pinout correctly and I believe I am. (These are the sources btw: https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:wii_multi_av_pinout http://pinouts.ru/Game/nintendo_wii_av_pinout.shtml ) The problem is, when I turn on the wii and my screen, the screen turns from blue to black, indicating there is a signal coming through, but the screen just stays black and never shows what is happening. Maybe the answer is as simple as I did a sloppy soldering job and ended up frying the display part or I can't cheat by using the display pins on the board. I have not trimmed the board yet and I have no-wifi ioses installed and everything. Also, I am using a 6 layer board so maybe thats where the problem is. A huge thanks in advance to whoever decides to read this and help out. Also, this is my first portable other than a raspberry pi portable I made to emulate NES games.

image3.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
cleaned it up a bit and wired up both modes. still the screen goes from blue to black and stays black. any other tips?
Have you made sure none of the wires are touching other wires/pads? You might have a short somewhere. You should also put some tape on the bottom of your Wii2HDMI to prevent it shorting on the Wii's ground plane.

Miles

Portables
upload_2017-12-25_14-51-49.png

I removed everything because I am going to put everything back on again with slighter thicker gauge wires that are single strand. This doesn't look good though. Is it fried? If it is, any tips on how to approach what I need to do instead?

It wont fry unless you run power through it. As long as you have not done that, all you have to do is clean up the board and get rid of all the shorts and it should boot up fine. A cotton swab and some isopropyl alcohol are great for cleaning computer boards. Just make sure that no metal spots are touching each other and it should all be fine.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You got a whole bunch of flux all over everything. Grab some 91% IPA (or 99% if you ask the person behind the pharmacy counter nicely) and clean it off to get a fresh start.

Miles

Portables
upload_2017-12-25_19-3-51.png

upload_2017-12-25_19-4-35.png

upload_2017-12-25_19-4-55.png

My apologies for the poor pictures, but when I take a close look it really doesn't look like there is a short anywhere. I also used 91% IPA to clean it. Still, when I plug it in all I get is a blank black screen. Anything else? @Stitches @Shank @MasterNate

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 4690
View attachment 4691
View attachment 4692

My apologies for the poor pictures, but when I take a close look it really doesn't look like there is a short anywhere. I also used 91% IPA to clean it. Still, when I plug it in all I get is a blank black screen. Anything else? @Stitches @Shank @MasterNate
I don't know if it will fix your problems as there's no visible short but there's way too many exposed wires on your soldering job. You want the exposed part of the wire to be a small as possible. What I would do is removed the wires first then remove all the solder so that the through holes are empty, desoldering braid would be a good choice for this. Then feed the wire through the through hole with just a small length of wire exposed and tinned then solder the wire in place. In your current setup it could be easy for a short to occur if not now then down the line.

JacksonS

Portables
What does your screen's driver board look like? If it has the same driver chip as this one (TFP401), you can't use it. That type of screen has no scaling ability and will only display part of the image if the input resolution doesn't exactly match the resolution of the screen.

After looking at your wiring, it looks like some of the exposed ends are touching. If you could desolder all the wires and take a good picture, we might be able to help a bit more. Those pictures are a bit hard to go by.

Also, did you run power to the board before you cleaned the board? You might have shorted 12v to a video wire. If you did that, we cant help you.

Also, what gauge wire are you using? You might have better results with a smaller gauge wire. And are the wires shielded? That is necessary for transmitting video signals.

Miles

Portables
upload_2017-12-27_10-1-34.png

Hopefully this is a little more helpful. I did run power through the board before I cleaned it, is there any way of knowing if it is shorted or not? Also, I will use smaller gauge wire next time. Thanks for all the help so far @MasterNate

It is possible you shorted the video line on the chip to a voltage line. If you did that, there is nothing you can do.

The only thing i can suggest is that for your next one, keep everything clean and take it slow so you dont do anything wrong or mess anything up.

Also, if you are relocating the whole av port, it would probably be better to just relocate the piece of the board with the port on it and run wires from that. That way, you have screw post holes you can use to keep the plug in the case better.

And with wire gauges, the voltage lines need to be a bigger gauge than the data lines. I hope everything I said can be of help to you.

Last edited: