Worklog Wiikipad Switch: Wii/Raspberry Pi Zero W (2-in-1 Portable)

nobble

It actually got LiPo. ;)

Took care of it with some good ol' solder wick and my usual iron. Classic.

I was thinking of giving the screen power straight from the batteries since that screen runs on what like 5-12 volts?

Noah

retired
Portables
It actually got LiPo. ;)

Took care of it with some good ol' solder wick and my usual iron. Classic.

I was thinking of giving the screen power straight from the batteries since that screen runs on what like 5-12 volts?
That should be fine, as long as the screen itself can run off of 5V with no issues. Since you're using 18650s (in series I'd assume for 7.4V) the screen won't ever be using a voltage that's "too low" for it to function normally.

I know there are some panels (mostly the cheap ones from eBay and Amazon) that start to flake out around 5V if you deliver power through the original input, but IIRC on some of the driver boards you can bypass a regulator or something and power it off of 5V with no issues.

nobble

Yup. I'll do some testing this week, but I think it should work fine off my batteries. I'll be using the 18650s, like you said Noah. So 7.4v should work well. I'll try it with 5v before I go straight from the batteries.

BocuD

Portables
Since you are using the L7009 and are already going to need a 5v reg for usb ( I assume?) you can just hook up 5v to this pin on this ic to power your display:
IMG_5618.JPG

nobble

Perfect! Thanks BocuD. This week I should have time to really get some good testing done. Gotta wire the battery first. Then I can really figure out where everything will go inside.

BocuD

Portables
Perfect! Thanks BocuD. This week I should have time to really get some good testing done. Gotta wire the battery first. Then I can really figure out where everything will go inside.
Before you wire your display to 5v, first measure if the pin is 5v to be sure.

nobble

Okay, I'll solder the power socket back on and check with the wall adapter first.

Edit: It's 5 volts!
IMG_20171125_190806.jpg

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
lol wut
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 22.28.33.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You got it. :facepalm:
Well..... as janky as it is, it'd work. It's also an acceptable way to keep the display modes for the Pi and Wii separate I suppose. You're just at risk of some display latency from the Pi.

Otherwise you can hook up the Pi's composite out pin to one of the L7009's AV inputs. I can't remember which, but one of them supports composite in in AV mode IIRC.

nobble

Yeah. I suppose that would be a LOT less work. I'll just have to search for that composite pin on the L7009. If anyone knows, that would save me the hassle of wiring that tower of adapters.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah. I suppose that would be a LOT less work. I'll just have to search for that composite pin on the L7009. If anyone knows, that would save me the hassle of wiring that tower of adapters.
I checked mine and it has 3 AV modes, so maybe all 3 work?

nobble

NobblesWiiPortableBackCase.jpg
I'll continue to work on the screen and raspberry pi in the next few days. Thanks to you guys, I've pretty much got it figured out as far as the hookup to switch A/V sources. Currently I've been continuously working on the back of the case where I glued the plastic enclosure half to the open spot where the Wikipad tablet would have normally been placed. It looks pretty good so far. I cut the vent holes for the fan and layed a quick coat of dead flat black on to figure out where I need to add more spot putty. There's more work needed to be done before I put the final coats on. The real test will be to figure out how to blend the black with the rubberized coating on the rest of the casing. I do have a spray rubber coating like plastidip, but it doesn't hold up to much touching and use. I want to keep that satin feel it has. Works well for long gameplay.

Last edited:

nobble

IMG_20171212_015456.jpg

I have been wrapping up the layout of all the electronics, trying to make everything fit well. Mainly now I've been slowly cutting away plastic and drilling the holes for ports. The back of the casing needs to be finished up with some fine sand paper, but is almost completely done. I just need to cut the USB ports before applying the clear coat. Hopefully I'll have time to post another update video by the beginning of next week. For now, I'll try to wire up the batteries.

Last edited: