Worklog Wiikipad Switch: Wii/Raspberry Pi Zero W (2-in-1 Portable)

nobble

Renamed thread, updated progress bullets, I have the screen and AureliAMP now. I'll make another video update soon. Just working out a few more details. I expect to start building process by August.

I sent a request for a sample of this case. Wish me luck...it's a pricey one!

https://www.okwenclosures.com/en/Smart-Box/C6017281.htm

But I have had good luck with OKW in the past. I used one of their potting boxes for my ATTINYBOY.

EDIT:

#winning

Last edited:

nobble

I've been mock-fitting the case that came in the mail this week. I'm going to try and make the portable with the case in portrait orientation. The screen would be fitted inside a smoked Plexiglas frame that would screw on to the case and go edge to edge.

OR

I could make it the traditional portable style (landscape) and cut out the screen. It feels abut better in the hands this way because of the rounded sides, but reaching the keyboard would be a little challenging.

I'm kind of liking either route, I just want to take my time and go slow figuring out my case design.

Attachments

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I've been mock-fitting the case that came in the mail this week. I'm going to try and make the portable with the case in portrait orientation. The screen would be fitted inside a smoked Plexiglas frame that would screw on to the case and go edge to edge.

OR

I could make it the traditional portable style (landscape) and cut out the screen. It feels abut better in the hands this way because of the rounded sides, but reaching the keyboard would be a little challenging.

I'm kind of liking either route, I just want to take my time and go slow figuring out my case design.
I like the other config better, But thats my $0.02

nobble

Hey all, I've decided to go ahead and order this Wikipad casing to try to use as the base of my portable. I'll glue in the housing from the LCD and add an extended backing to hold the Wii and other components. I'm really excited to see if this casing will work, it's for a 7" android tablet. I've never held one, but it looks like it should make for an easy frankencase. I will be starting up progress on this soon after the gamepad arrives. I have been slacking on actual work for this project. I have all the main components except for the heatsink for the Wii cpu, and the raspberry pi 3. I am open to suggestions for the better heatsinks out there for this type of portable. I'll also see if I have any old heatsinks lying around that could work. I'll be filming the whole process as I build. And hopefully will make weekly updates as to where I am on the project via my YouTube channel. I'll try to update more here as well!

How thick is the case? If it is for a 7 inch android tablet, it might be too thin. Just want to help you out just in case you need to return it.

nobble

How thick is the case? If it is for a 7 inch android tablet, it might be too thin. Just want to help you out just in case you need to return it.
Here's a couple mock up pictures of the case and screen bezel with a couple plastic casing pieces to fill the missing holes. I think it all should fit. I might have to scrap the RPi idea, but we shall see... I'll be cutting to fit and gluing the parts together soon! :D

Attachments

Last edited:
So, while I am incidentally selling them, I do genuinely think that my wired USB mini keyboards might be a better choice than that little wireless one. The appeal, and actually why I bought them in the first place, is that it's a little more secure, consumes less power than a wireless one, and doesn't add another battery to the mix. Just a thought. I've got a sale thread in the trade section.

nobble

So, while I am incidentally selling them, I do genuinely think that my wired USB mini keyboards might be a better choice than that little wireless one. The appeal, and actually why I bought them in the first place, is that it's a little more secure, consumes less power than a wireless one, and doesn't add another battery to the mix. Just a thought. I've got a sale thread in the trade section.
I may have to contact you next week about buying a couple.

nobble

After much time spent avoiding work on this project, I finally am going ALL IN!

The picture below shows my screen inside the front half of my disassembled Wikipad case. I am flipping the casing upside down to allow a better fit and will rotate the screen and buttons to match how they usually are set for this screen. Will be gluing in place soon!

What's really nice is how the case separates individually. The front casing is two pieces that snap together. Then the middle, where the tablet would go, is where my screen will be housed. The back two pieces snap together to hide the screws for a clean look. I won't need to paint the back casing, except for the cover that houses the Wii and lcd boards.

Attachments

nobble

Quick update.

I glued some plastic strips inside the LCD housing. Using Oatey #30916 Special ABS Cement to glue them together.

Man does that stuff dry fast!!!

Now it's nice and snug inside the bezel. Since all the posts that held it together were on the back half, and I'm not going to need it for the case.

Attachments

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Looking noice so far. Do you have a colour scheme in mind?

nobble

Looking noice so far. Do you have a colour scheme in mind?
I was thinking black and white. I don't really want to paint the back and front side bumpers since they have a rubber coating that feels nice in the hand. but maybe something entirely different and unique.

Or Red. My go-to color for portables...

nobble

More work today on the case. I cut the top off the back of the LCD casing and sanded it down to fit the portable casing. A little bit more trimming is needed to fit snug. Then I will really glue everything together and add some spot putty to make it nice and smooth. The back half completely comes off so it will expose all of the electronics inside, for a nice meme.

Attachments

nobble

What does the community think about this heatsink setup? I found it from an old GPU. Fits right over the Bluetooth chip and capacitors. The smaller heatsink is the only other one I had laying around. Will this hold up to the heat inside a case? It all fits perfectly inside behind the LCD.

Attachments

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Overkill. The small chip is the hot one. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

nobble

Overkill. The small chip is the hot one. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oh. That would help. I'll find something smaller. Does it even need fins, or would a copper slab work just as well?

Edit: I cut the fins off of the heatsink in previous images. How does this hold up now?

Attachments

Last edited:

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Looks better. Add a fan and you're good to go

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Could just shift the fan block down a bit, it's big enough to service both easily.