Question Wii Max temp?

NLG

How hot does a 6layer board Wii get? I want to bend the fins of the heat sink to flatten it and then use two small 25mm fans at half speed to cool it. Is this enough?

I’m interested in seeing what temps you guys get in your cooling setups aswell.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Unfortunately, thermal setups are a trial and error kind of thing. Not much testing has been done with heatsink setups on the 6 layers, but they do run hotter than the 4 layers. If heat is a concern, i would consider using a 4 layer instead.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
The best way to test is if you have a thermal camera, which is typically pretty expensive. A good cheap way is to get a temp. gun from Amazon for cheap (I got mine for like $20 bucks ish?) and clocked the temperature over time to get an idea of how hot it runs. I believe you want it somewhere in the 75-90 C F range? @Shank , please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit, I knew it was between 75 and 90, just wrong units. Ooops.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Matthew agree on tempgun, disagree on temperatures. It's a sub 10 watt TDP, even on the 6 layer, so it shouldn't get nearly that hot, even without a heatsink. I try to keep it between 75-90 FAHRENHEIT. You should strive to keep it below 40-45 C

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
The datasheet says the TJ (thermal junction) range is 0C-105C. Granted, you'll want your portable much cooler than TJmax since it's above boiling point. If it feels too hot, it's probably too hot :P