Question Whats Next?

Okay, so I just figured out that my Wii has a 6 layer board (RVL-CPU-01) and I want to know what to do next. I want to perform a OMGWTF trim, but i can't because I don't have a 4 layer board. Should I get a new Wii, or can I do anything else with the Wii that I currently have?

Thanks...
-Levi

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
The 6 layer board can be cut to OMGWTF but we don't have a guide on it yet. I'd advise you not to try it as you could very easily kill the Wii since there is almost no documentation on it, but that being said you might as well try it out since your only other option is getting a newer Wii anyways.

6 layer boards (might just be the ones with die-shrunk CPUs) also use way more power and generate more heat than their later counterparts so there is that to consider as well.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Okay, so I just figured out that my Wii has a 6 layer board (RVL-CPU-01) and I want to know what to do next. I want to perform a OMGWTF trim, but i can't because I don't have a 4 layer board. Should I get a new Wii, or can I do anything else with the Wii that I currently have?
If this is your first time trimming a board, I would highly suggest not attempting to trim it. I would advise getting a 4 layer board. The 6 layer boards are very similar to the 4 layer ones and can have a similar trim performed on them. BUT, vias and traces are moved around, so none of the diagrams that run to the GPU will be applicable. A 6 layer guide is in the works, so I would hold onto that board.

Even still, the 4 layer boards are better overall. The 6 layer boards use nearly twice the power, and put out nearly twice as much heat. That means your portable is going to need a bigger, noisier cooling system, and you are going to get worse battery life.

6 layer boards (might just be the ones with die-shrunk CPUs) also use way more power and generate more heat than their later counterparts so there is that to consider as well.
GPU is the big power sucker, and shrinking that made all the difference.
-They shrunk the die size on the CPU on the RVL-30, but there was no substantial reduction in power. (last 6 layer board)
-They shrunk the die size on the GPU on the RVL-40, power consumption was about half. (first 4 layer board)

-Every 4 layer board has a 65nm GPU
-Every 6 layer board has a 90nm GPU

Summary:
All 4 layer boards have die shrunk GPUs and use about half the power as all 6 layer boards

Ok, When will you guys start working on the guide?
I just shipped a RVL-01 and a RVL-20 to ShockSlayer earlier today. Once he gets them, he can start, but IIRC he has a lot in the works, so I don't know when that will be. But keep in mind making a guide that detailed is a lot of work and can be time consuming.

Last edited: