Question Weird problem with my Wii

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hello guys. I have a Wii that used to work perfectly. Today I turned it on and half of the screen is completely black. Sometimes it flickers and I can see the image, but most of the time is just black. I'm sure that the problem is with the Wii itself, I tried to connect it to another screen and also with another cable.

Below you can find a video of what happens when turning on the Wii and then launching Twilight Princess:

Has anyone else ever had a similar problem? Thank you

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Try reinstalling the home menu?
Besides the homebrew channel this Wii is basically stock, I haven't messed that much with it. Also since I get the same problem in Wii games (the one I tried in the video is a retail one on DVD), so I don't think that's something software related...

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I have never seen this issue before. I have no idea, but my best guess is your video encoder (AVE) is damaged. Since your Wii is an early one, I would check the the 1.8v switching power supply that powers it to see if that is busted as well.

If you do an AVE transplant, know that there are at least 2 ave chips, the RVL AVE and RVL AVE-A. The two are most likely interchangeable, but nobody has tested it yet.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Ayy lmao it's like the opposite of what forcing progressive does on Mega Man X collection:

Granted that's a software issue with no known fix, whereas this is probably something completely different.