Discussion Wavebird clone spotted

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Oh neat. I'm curious to know if it's larger than a standard Wavebird as well, would be interesting to see a side-by-side.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I wonder if you can use two at the same time, since it doesn't have the channel switcher. Also, if anyone gets one can you tell me the FCC ID on the back of both the controller and receiver(/transmitter?) I'm curious what they used inside.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I wonder if you can use two at the same time, since it doesn't have the channel switcher. Also, if anyone gets one can you tell me the FCC ID on the back of both the controller and receiver(/transmitter?) I'm curious what they used inside.
It probably has some sort of pairing process, it might even work over Bluetooth, so there is no need for a channel switcher

cheese

Staff member
It probably has some sort of pairing process, it might even work over Bluetooth, so there is no need for a channel switcher
That would be a good alternative :P
I'm just used to the knockoffs trying to emulate the official stuff as much as possible (the official wavebird doesn't use bluetooth even though it's on 2.4GHz)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Thank you to whoever spotted this! When I have money to spare (meaning not thrown into a portable) I will definitely get one. It would be cool to put the receiver inside of a gcp, especially if you can have multiples running without interference.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Awesome. Hopefully this'll help us re-engineer the receiver or something, but i'm sure it's just BT or some other different protocol.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Interesting. But for about $30 shipped, I would probably go with an official one. Third party gamecube controllers have a reputation of being pretty awful. The receiver also doesn't look compatible with gamecube wavebird.

Regardless, this is a very interesting find. Its only a matter of time before more start popping up and the price drops. Im looking forward to seeing what people can do with it.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I agree with shank about the price, but I'm still curious about how they did the inside. It would be awesome if there was a way to change the channel. My only real beef with third party gc controllers is that the conductive rubber pads underneath tend to be cheap and stiff. If you replace them with Nintendo brand ones, they're almost as good as the original imo. So if these work well and don't interfere with each other, we might soon have a cheap alternative to the wavebird. Although I do worry about interference. Wavebirds operate using radio frequencies, like rc cars. But anyone who has bought multiple cheap rc cars knows that a lot of the time there is interference and you'll end up semi-controlling both.

It would make for an interesting smash competition I guess xD

cheese

Staff member
Wavebirds operate using radio frequencies, like rc cars. But anyone who has bought multiple cheap rc cars knows that a lot of the time there is interference and you'll end up semi-controlling both.
The original wavebirds do operate on a choose a channel and everyone on it controls that one basis, but this may work more like WiFi (using bluetooth) where multiple things can share a channel on the same frequency. Tbh, still would use an official wavebird if I had to go wireless (for things like monkey ball, I actually notice a difference between wired/wireless, besides the interference issues :P)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
That could be, but it seems to me that if the cheapest rc cars use radio frequencies instead of bluetooth despite interference, it is probably cheaper to manufacture. And the generic clones I've seen for gc controllers are as cheap as they could possibly make them. There are the semi-good ones and then there are the extra cheap ebay ones and from just the design, I'd say these probably fall into the cheap category. Brands who make quality products tend to actually put their name / company on it.

On the other hand, it would be pretty sweet if it was bluetooth.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Madmorda and I stopped by a used game store where they had one of these for sale. The man behind the counter was kind enough to allow me to handle the controller and disassemble the receiver without purchasing it. Shout-out to Game Xchange (not to be confused with fx gamexchange) for allowing me access to this info.

The conclusion: Awful.
The controller itself feels like the 3rd party ones that look like first party ones. The shell is thin, light, and cheap feeling, while the button feedback is clunky. There is no switch to change channels or connect, so I have no idea how it communicates with the receiver. Speaking of the receiver...
20170707_111926.jpg
20170707_111935.jpg
yuk.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
@Madmorda and I stopped by a used game store where they had one of these for sale. The man behind the counter was kind enough to allow me to handle the controller and disassemble the receiver without purchasing it. Shout-out to Game Xchange (not to be confused with fx gamexchange) for allowing me access to this info.

The conclusion: Awful.
The controller itself feels like the 3rd party ones that look like first party ones. The shell is thin, light, and cheap feeling, while the button feedback is clunky. There is no switch to change channels or connect, so I have no idea how it communicates with the receiver. Speaking of the receiver...View attachment 3228 View attachment 3230yuk.

Oh glob!!

It reminds me of the old super cheap NES clone controllers.

I know how it syncs!!!!
Its Magic Small.jpg