Question Trying to fit a wii into a wii mini

vv32

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to fit a normal wii (cpu-40) into a wii mini, the main board however is just slightly too long.

Can I just trim a little off the front of the board instead of having to do a full omgwtf trim? (And move the bluetooth module as done in the omgwtf guide.) If so, how do I power on the machine?

Thanks in advance!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I'm trying to fit a normal wii (cpu-40) into a wii mini
Thats not a 40, thats an 01.

While possible, its more troubleshooting than its worth. I would not recommend trying any wii trim other than the OMGWTF or OM6 trim without having a complete understanding of how the Wii works. Leaving more on the board creates more problems. When you perform just minor trims, the voltage regulators will start to act wonky.

vv32

Thats not a 40, thats an 01.

While possible, its more troubleshooting than its worth. I would not recommend trying any wii trim other than the OMGWTF or OM6 trim without having a complete understanding of how the Wii works. Leaving more on the board creates more problems. When you perform just minor trims, the voltage regulators will start to act wonky.
Thanks for your reply.
I showed this board as an example. I haven't yet taken apart my 40 wii. You said leaving parts of the board on can cause problems, is it possible to keep the disk drive connectors by extending the omgwtf trim just a little?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You COULD, but you will encounter software issues. You would probably have to run 3.3v, 5v and/or 12v to the drive. In order to trim off the wifi module and MX chip, you need to be running Portablizemii's custom IOS. PortablizeMii's custom build of PostLoader that doesn't support the disc drive, so you would need to use a different front end. All in all, Its a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Even so, the Wii mini's disc drive uses a different connector, so you would have to still use the Wii's slot loading drive unless you want to do some crazy wiring.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You said leaving parts of the board on can cause problems, is it possible to keep the disk drive connectors by extending the omgwtf trim just a little?
You COULD, but you will encounter software issues.
To be honest, not practically. It just wouldn't work out. Just use the pack as intended :P

Either that, or you can trim the ground around the perimeter of the system (the gold color around the outside)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If that's one of the later rev Wii drives, I'm not surprised you can just plug it in. Neat