Question Trimmed wii won't boot

Nick

So I got my trimmed wii all wired up and nothing.. no picture to the screen. Tested all regulator outputs and they are all good, connected them to their corresponding areas as shown on the trim guide. Have USB wired up directly to the 5v custom regulator and had even swapped the two data lines to see if I had mixed them up, still nothing.

no controller wired up, wires for sd slot attatched but no actual sd slot connected, and bluetooth module connected to back. Don't know if this matters but figured I'd list it

can post more pictures if needed any help is appreciated

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Like SS told you in the other thread, you really shouldn't be trying ambitious and alternative cuts unless you really know what you are doing. You should stick with the OMGWTF until you fully understand how the wii works. Many users poured countless hours into making that specific guide for that specific cut, and the more you cut off and change, the harder troubleshooting becomes. In that thread you asked how much "can" be cut off, not how much "should" be cut off.

That being said...
-Did you check the wii with custom regs and this setup before you trimmed it?
-Did you check continuity of all the lines amongst eachother and ground to make sure there weren't any shorts?
-Have you tried booting into Priiloader? This can be done by connecting a wire by connecting the Reset line to ground while the wii boots. This can give insight on where the issue is coming from

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
There's only 90 million different things it could be, and without recreating your trim in the compendium it's very difficult for anyone capable of helping you to do so properly. Additionally, the fact that you've wired up an SD card slot and not a USB tells me you aren't even properly acquainted with PortablizeMii. You were not ready to trim this board.

The first thing you should do is figure out all the places each voltage should be, and check those. Once you've verified that(you can post a list here) we can look into the additional intricacies that it might be.

The omgwtf is difficult enough as is for starters. Why make it harder, rule of thumb: don't make a tiny portable for your first project. Lol

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Making your own trim is hard, especially when you don't look at the documentation provided.

For starters, you cut too close to an internal trace and removed 3.3v going to the U10 relocation (I don't know what else you may have cut off).

Nick

You're all right I will be getting a new wii and starting over. To much of a hassle to try and have you guys help figure out all of my mistakes. Sorry for my noobishness/foolishness :(

I'm also going to mess with it on my own and figure out what I did wrong and study the compendium as best I can.. Again sorry.

You're all right I will be getting a new wii and starting over. To much of a hassle to try and have you guys help figure out all of my mistakes. Sorry for my noobishness/foolishness :(

I'm also going to mess with it on my own and figure out what I did wrong and study the compendium as best I can.. Again sorry.
No worries man. Mistakes happen to us all. Its all part of the learning process.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables

There's nothing to be ashamed about. We are all noobs at one point or another. Keep it up and don't get discouraged! Thankfully wii's are pretty cheap right now!

Nick

I ordered a new wii and will be following the guide to the T for my next board, in the mean time I'd like to try resurrecting this board if possible.

I did notice on the bottom side of the board I had cut rather close to the outer trace (red) coming of the AV chip so I scratch soldered a magnetic wire from one side to the corresponding via (orange points are where each side of the wire was soldered to)

The board also seems to get a little warm but not super hot, did I fry the board?

-Did you check the wii with custom regs and this setup before you trimmed it?
-Did you check continuity of all the lines amongst eachother and ground to make sure there weren't any shorts?
-Have you tried booting into Priiloader? This can be done by connecting a wire by connecting the Reset line to ground while the wii boots. This can give insight on where the issue is coming from
Checked the regs and wired them up after removing the on board regulators before trimming, just tried the reset button but the screen is black still.

For starters, you cut too close to an internal trace and removed 3.3v going to the U10 relocation (I don't know what else you may have cut off).
That trace is still there though and the corresponding pin is receiving the 3.3v according to my multimeter ?

the fact that you've wired up an SD card slot and not a USB tells me you aren't even properly acquainted with PortablizeMii. You were not ready to trim this board.
The first thing you should do is figure out all the places each voltage should be, and check those. Once you've verified that(you can post a list here) we can look into the additional intricacies that it might be.
I have had the USB wired up, however I have the 5v coming straight off the regulator to the USB pin and not to the board first I'm not sure if this matters or not? .. I know PortablizeMii is meant for USB and I know you can use SD as well that's why I have both. Well plan to have both at least as I only have the wires for the SD connected to the board and not the actual slot yet.
Just double checked the capacitors that the custom regulators are soldered to as well as the via holes that have voltages on the compedium and it seems to be getting the right readings.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That trace is still there though
I was talking about the trace inside the board, but if it's still receiving 3.3v then you didn't fully cut through it. You got a picture of the bottom of the board?

Nick

the piece of tape is just holding down the wire from u10 temporarily if its in the way i can take it off

Nick

I don't know if this would help, but this is about the trim I did, drew the lines in on paint going off where the via holes that were relative to where my cut is. If more layers help I can repeat the same process.

Top:
Bottom: