Worklog Translucent Blue Noldendo

Hey everyone !
thanks for checking in, i am currently working on a noldendo build and wanted to do a build log i haven’t seen one in a while, i really love these mini versions of consoles and appreciate how we can use the older wiis for something exciting ! i just received my case from craftcloud, it’s a resin printed translucent blue option if anyone is interested in ordering they were relatively fast for what i had ordered!
IMG_3720.jpeg

game plan:
-i have a wii already soft-modded with rvloader and it’s running great and stable with several games. first i need to relocate the u10 to the u5 and then i will test the board again before the trim.

-Since i saw @Shank make an awesome portable with lights inside i have wanted to do something similar but i am not quite as knowledgeable on what i can use/tap into for power without overloading the circuits, does anyone recommend any specific Led strips ? i found a low power 5v usb strip that i was thinking about purchasing. if it’s possible i would like to just tie it into the psu plus 5v pad but i’m not sure if that’s possible(i believe the 5v pad is unused on the noldendo)

-i plan to relocate bluetooth but i am not super concerned with the Mx chip as of right now

more updates to come stay tuned (:

Portables
holy crap! That looks awesome!

I finished printing mine on flat gray PLA yesterday, with lots of defects ... it looks very ... different.

holy crap! That looks awesome!

I finished printing mine on flat gray PLA yesterday, with lots of defects ... it looks very ... different.
post pics ! i would love to see another noldendo build they seem to not be as common but i love the form factor of them we can share notes while we build lol

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Shell looks beautiful.

As for the lights, it all depends on what you plan to do. If your goal is reactive stuff like mine, there's a lot more stuff you need to stuff into the case that each use up a lot of power.

If you just want lights without the reactive part, RGB LEDs come in 2 variants: addressable and non-addressable. Non-addressable are easier to work with, as you just have 4 wires: red, green, blue and a power line, usually 5v or 12v. Connect whatever of the colors you want on to ground, and you're done. All the lights will always be the same color as each other.

Addressable ones are more versatile, but a little trickier to work with. Each light can be controlled individually, so every light can be a different color. The downside is that you need a device like a microcontroller to drive them, so it's a little trickier and more complex to get em up and running.

If you need a single color forever, you can get a single color strip. If you want to switch between several solid colors, go RGB non addressable. If you want to do multicolor rgb stuff, go with addressable RGB. If you want reactive rgb, follow what I did in the video and prepare for troubleshooting hell.

Regarding power, I would recommend using 5v strips. Make sure your 5v regulator/supply can handle enough power. You can find calculators online to estimate power, or take measurements of your own, and add them to your other power consumption of the system. LED strips come in different "densities", which is how many LEDs per distance.

Last tip before I end my wall of text: my LEDs got pretty warm, warm enough to feel through the case. This was mostly due to the brightness and density. You might want to see how hot they get inside the case before screwing it together for the last time. It'll probably be fine, but doesn't hurt to check! If I could go back and make any 1 change to the glowii, I would add another fan that blows air through the body of the case to cool the lights and other board driving them.

Shell looks beautiful.

As for the lights, it all depends on what you plan to do. If your goal is reactive stuff like mine, there's a lot more stuff you need to stuff into the case that each use up a lot of power.

If you just want lights without the reactive part, RGB LEDs come in 2 variants: addressable and non-addressable. Non-addressable are easier to work with, as you just have 4 wires: red, green, blue and a power line, usually 5v or 12v. Connect whatever of the colors you want on to ground, and you're done. All the lights will always be the same color as each other.

Addressable ones are more versatile, but a little trickier to work with. Each light can be controlled individually, so every light can be a different color. The downside is that you need a device like a microcontroller to drive them, so it's a little trickier and more complex to get em up and running.

If you need a single color forever, you can get a single color strip. If you want to switch between several solid colors, go RGB non addressable. If you want to do multicolor rgb stuff, go with addressable RGB. If you want reactive rgb, follow what I did in the video and prepare for troubleshooting hell.

Regarding power, I would recommend using 5v strips. Make sure your 5v regulator/supply can handle enough power. You can find calculators online to estimate power, or take measurements of your own, and add them to your other power consumption of the system. LED strips come in different "densities", which is how many LEDs per distance.

Last tip before I end my wall of text: my LEDs got pretty warm, warm enough to feel through the case. This was mostly due to the brightness and density. You might want to see how hot they get inside the case before screwing it together for the last time. It'll probably be fine, but doesn't hurt to check! If I could go back and make any 1 change to the glowii, I would add another fan that blows air through the body of the case to cool the lights and other board driving them.
thank you so much for all the info! i honestly have been just browsing to see what solutions i could find my best option so far is one you named already, i found a strip of 5v usb powered solid white leds that come with a diffuser. as much as i love reactive i am not confident enough to trouble shoot something like that quite yet but i hope this gives me some more experience! it comes in a 6m roll and the whole roll draws 2amps 10w on 5v according to the listing and reviews. i spoke with crazygadget about connecting them to the 5v pads on the PSU plus he just released he said they are rated for up to 3amps so it should be more then safe plus i plan to use maybe 6-9 inches of it tops.

Regarding the heat i deff was concerned about this as well so i googled some documents that a gentleman has posted it basically was saying you can under power leds and it acts like a dimmer almost. it does have a threshold for when the lights will not turn on though as well as diminishing returns on heat dissipation but i thought it was something to bring up. would you run the second fan off 3.3v like the ones used in the ashida ?